Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Has anybody figured out how to fry curved sausages so that the bent bit gets cooked?

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
2years but caravanned for years
Slowly. Gentle heat should do it but don't try and rush it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Has anybody figured out how to fry curved sausages so that the bent bit gets cooked?

:ROFLMAO: Had to look twice then......I thought you name read 'BernardFRY'!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Sorry about that.................

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Surely they are straight when you buy them? They are at our village farm shop, but maybe you bought yours from a bent dealer:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, assuming they are straight when uncooked, prick them first and they will stay straight. Wife says it works very time....:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Traditional sausages made in a natural gut casing will invariably curve when cooked, even if they were straight in the packet. If a sausage stays 'ramrod' straight when it is cooked, then it has been filled into a collagen (man-made) casing. These were very popular (amongst manufacturers) in the seventies and eighties as they tended to resist bursting when cheaper fillings were used - often in so-called 'catering sausages'. The British have more recently rediscovered their affection fora good sausage and today, most better sausages are filled into natural casings as they used to be before around 1960.
Ideally, sausages should NOT be pricked or cut before cooking. Gentle cooking, turning occasionally, will ensure the sausage is cooked through but the inside and outside of the curve are unlikely to get dark brown / crispy. I attempt to get some browning on the curves by leaning them against the rim of the frying pan and then stacking them against each other. It takes about 15-20 minutes to cook a sausage properly - about 10-15 minutes for a chipolata.
If you want to 'butterfly-cut' the sausages, cook them partially before slitting and frying the insides.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
or you could cook them in the oven, in a roasting pan, brown ( or black if you forget them) all over..

Allan

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
or you could cook them in the oven, in a roasting pan, brown ( or black if you forget them) all over..

Allan

Tossed in whole grain mustard and honey, mmmmn...

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Good post JeanLuc,
However I do the same as you but still curse the inner side of the curve and wondered if I could make a fortune with designing a square sausage skin machine.Four turns for each sausage and all equally brown,no chasing round the pan ever again :ROFLMAO:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Haha,I do pappajohn but the French like pink inside as well!!
Plus the white skinned and inner ones,Andouilette,yuk.:ROFLMAO:
Give me a good old English banger anytime!!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Good post JeanLuc,
However I do the same as you but still curse the inner side of the curve and wondered if I could make a fortune with designing a square sausage skin machine.Four turns for each sausage and all equally brown,no chasing round the pan ever again :ROFLMAO:

Well your too late
Our jock friends have been making square sausage for years
Many names for it
Sausage slice
Flat sausage
Or as I know it loran sausage
When ever I go up I bring a big pack home
With a couple of haggis

Love it or hate it

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
So true! Breakfast for greedy people: fry or grill two slabs of Scottish square sausage - most supermarkets sell packs; when nearly cooked, fry an egg in the same pan; butter two slices and make a serious brekkie sarnie, adding mustard or brown sauce to taste.

Need two mugs of tea to wash it down . .

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
never know sausages to get so much attention we have been cooking the dam thing's for years hear on earth and your asking now ware you from my outer space :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Good post JeanLuc,

Scotland beat you to it.

Now try some of your ideas with a Cumberland Ring :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Well better get my butt on the boat and head north,Cumberland for the experiment stage and then over the border for the never seen before square sausage :ROFLMAO:Have been living in a cave in France for too long I guess,by the way,will the mozzies have left Scotland by now????:Smile:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

Allan

Thats my prefered method (if I can't BBQ them)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well better get my butt on the boat and head north,Cumberland for the experiment stage and then over the border for the never seen before square sausage :ROFLMAO:Have been living in a cave in France for too long I guess,by the way,will the mozzies have left Scotland by now????:Smile:

::bigsmile: you can buy Cumberland sausage in most supermarket's and sq sausage in Iceland ::bigsmile:
Terry

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
So true! Breakfast for greedy people: fry or grill two slabs of Scottish square sausage - most supermarkets sell packs; when nearly cooked, fry an egg in the same pan; butter two slices and make a serious brekkie sarnie, adding mustard or brown sauce to taste.

Need two mugs of tea to wash it down . .

Eww, no thanks, not unless you've got that new kettle yet? :ROFLMAO:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
::bigsmile: you can buy Cumberland sausage in most supermarkets
Terry
You can buy something called a Cumberland sausage in most supermarkets. You have to look very carefully to find anything that actually is a Cumberland sausage, or even bears much resemblance to one. :Sad: :Angry:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You can buy something called a Cumberland sausage in most supermarkets. You have to look very carefully to find anything that actually is a Cumberland sausage, or even bears much resemblance to one. :Sad: :Angry:

Yep agree :thumb: I only buy from local butcher who makes and eats his own :thumb: his tomato pork sausages are lovely :thumb::thumb: if expensive :Eeek: but worth it :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back