Current state of Belgium motorway from Luxembourg? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Hi
We are looking at our route to and from Croatia. We are travelling from the motorhome dealer in Kortrijk. One of the routes takes you down through Belgium and Luxembourg with its cheap fuel :) BUT last time we passed this way we vowed never again as the Belgium motorway surface was appalling. It rattled our fillings and I am sure did the van no favours at all.

This was about 5 years ago, so I welcome feedback from anyone who has had more recent experience of this route....has the road surface been improved ?

Cheers
Rose

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Did the same route over this Easter period. The roads weren't as bad as I was lead to believe, but certainly a lot worse than French motorways. It appears to be the continuous concrete slabs and lack of repairs that shake you about. :rolleyes: There was a lot of concentration to avoid the gaping potholes though:D2

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Compared to Poland the roads are like silk in Belgium !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
No major motorway improvements that we could see when we drove through Belgium last autumn. They're of a similar quality to ours.

French roads are still the best in my opinion, if you don't mind paying to use them. Even the non-toll dual carriageways aren't bad.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Belgium motorway from Luxembourg heading north to the tunnel are not great but we found at easter that they were good preparation for the M 20 north which is just as bad !

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Hi
We are looking at our route to and from Croatia. We are travelling from the motorhome dealer in Kortrijk. One of the routes takes you down through Belgium and Luxembourg with its cheap fuel :) BUT last time we passed this way we vowed never again as the Belgium motorway surface was appalling. It rattled our fillings and I am sure did the van no favours at all.

This was about 5 years ago, so I welcome feedback from anyone who has had more recent experience of this route....has the road surface been improved ?

Cheers
Rose
I did the route about four months ago and it was still bad. Seems Brussels is great at dictating what EU standards should be , but not so good at implementing them themselves.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Appeared OK when we used that route last October, a good standard compared to a lot of Belgium roads, I'm not saying it's good.
Being a Hymer owner you will appreciate nothing can be as bad as some of the routes satnav's take to Campirama, found that out the hard way the first time.:)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We used the motorway outside Brussels a couple of years ago on our way to Germany and it was a nightmare, not because of the road surface but because 3 motorways, with heavy traffic, suddenly merged into one and we had vehicles coming at us from all directions! We took a different route on the way home.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Belgium motorway from Luxembourg heading north to the tunnel are not great but we found at easter that they were good preparation for the M 20 north which is just as bad !
Now that, is a Shite piece of road at the moment. :eek:

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
The problem with both the M20 and the M2 they carry every bit of traffic to and from Dover and Folkstone and also become a lorry park every few months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back