Current exchange rate in France? (1 Viewer)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just started organising the finances for upcoming trip to France. I've got usual payment cards sorted but I'm now looking at cash. I don't like carrying large sums so I got a Caxton card which I use to get cash from ATMs as and when I need it. But their rate for loading the card isn't currently great - I can get a better deal for cash at my village post office!

So my specific question. What rate is anybody currently in France getting when withdrawing cash at ATMs using a UK debit (or, heaven forbid, credit) card? To save time I'm not interested in changing my current banking arrangements.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Revolut card currently 1.1184€ to the pound and it doesn’t change your banking.... some will say you can only get 200 cash out a month but I use it for everything and only take some cash out for tips etc.....

It really is a god send for me and a lot of others on here....(y)

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Just started organising the finances for upcoming trip to France. I've got usual payment cards sorted but I'm now looking at cash. I don't like carrying large sums so I got a Caxton card which I use to get cash from ATMs as and when I need it. But their rate for loading the card isn't currently great - I can get a better deal for cash at my village post office!

So my specific question. What rate is anybody currently in France getting when withdrawing cash at ATMs using a UK debit (or, heaven forbid, credit) card? To save time I'm not interested in changing my current banking arrangements.
Awful to admit but we currently say sod the expense lets go !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Smaller German shops& restaurants will not accept anything but cash , still use Revolut and bite the bullet when I need more than £200 allowed. Exchange rate perfect just wish it would get better.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
You can increase the Revolut withdrawal to €400 a month if you upgrade to Premium.

At the princely sum of £6.99 per month. :gum:

But that does include other stuff, like insurance. Need to fully read T & C’s.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
How much cash do you expect to need?
We tend to take around 500€ in cash for a month. We keep the majority in the safe along with passports etc.
Don't forget the risk gets less and less as you spend it as each week goes by.

Actually I now think the amount of cash we take now wants re-assessing, as our Clarity card is used so much more now.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Just looked at my banks charges - £3.30 per transaction?

Debit card:
€100 equivalent is £88.09;
Your statement will show the Mastercard exchange rate;
The 3.75% foreign cash fee is £3.30;
Total sterling equivalent cost will be shown on your statement as £91.39.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
No fees with Revolut unless you go over the 200£ limit then I think is 2% which is still pretty good...

For 5-8 weeks travel I probably spend 150€’s in cash...:cool:

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Revolut website says max £200/€200 per month, not enough for me and there is no indication about allowing extra. No way I'm spending £6.99 per month for something I don't use. Doesn't attract me to be honest.

Looks like the PO is getting an order. Or I'll just accept the Caxton rate. It's only money!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have been using Revolut lately to buy dollars for my internet hobby purchases from hobbyking. Paypal exchange rate is rubbish.
I import brandy from Spain with the same method

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We use a Metrocard for vash withdrawals and Natipnwide, SantandervZero credit cards, worksvfrvus as no charges.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
On my last 4 week trip to Europe, I spent a total of 16 Euros in cash. The rest of my spending (it was a snowboarding trip, so I spent a lot!) was on my Clarity card, the card for big purchases (over 30 euro) and Contactless via my phone for the rest.

Exchange rate is good & no additional charges.

I do the same in the UK and spend less than £20 a month in cash.

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
That's a lot better than Caxton currently and I have a Visa debit card.
To be fair in the past the Visa rate has been pretty good, provided I have the transaction done in Euros.

Reactions: DBK

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
On our trip to France in May/June we found very little use for cash and paid for most things with Halifax Clarity. With the contactless payment it is not embarrassing to pay small amounts (eg for coffee) with a credit card

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
This was recently advertised on Money Saving Expert

https://www.starlingbank.com/campai...um=article_travel_card&utm_campaign=affiliate

Following blurb copied from MSE website

App-based has a current account that charges no non-sterling transaction or cash withdrawal fees when you use its debit card worldwide. While it's a current account, you don't have to switch to it, nor do you need to pay in a minimum amount or have direct debits set up (so you can treat it like a prepaid card). The exchange rate you'll get is set by Mastercard, which tends to be slightly higher than Visa's.

Plus, you won't have a full credit check that other lenders can see on your file if you apply for an account (as long as you don't request an overdraft), so it could be a good option if you don't want that.

Starling Bank is a new challenger bank, which opened applications to its current account in May 2017. It's regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and has the full £85,000 UK savings safety guarantee. For now it has no overseas fees, though it's possible this'll change in future. Initial feedback has been positive – please let us know your experiences with it.

Need-to-knows
  • You can download Starling Bank's app for iOS or Android.
  • You can make up to three cash withdrawals a day, totalling a max £300.
  • Money in your account will earn 0.5% AER interest on up to £2,000 and 0.25% AER interest up to £85,000.
  • You can apply for an overdraft if you want one – you won't automatically be given one.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Transfer £ to my € account in Europe and take Cash out before we leave - no problem finding ATMs.

I don't use cards except in emergencies or 24/7 fuel pumps, unattended.

What did people do before Debit/Credit cards? Oh yes - Travellers' Cheques, which were an even bigger rip-off.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
There was a time when we also took cash (TravelFX) and placed in our safe, however these days with such dire exchange rates since the vote to leave the EU we use our Nationwide debit card for cash and Saga card for all purchase where possible. Nationwide and Saga do not charge a transaction fee with the exchage rate set by Visa.

You never know the exchange rate might improve one day so do not want to be stuck with to much cash.

Mick

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It is difficult to get the message through but I will keep on trying...

Revolut, Revolut, Revolut...

Why does it have to be so hard? :whistle:

JJ :cool:

Have to agree,however,Revolut will not work on the Automatic Fuel Pumps,Paeges etc

Paul1958

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
Tavira, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Revolut card currently 1.1184€ to the pound and it doesn’t change your banking.... some will say you can only get 200 cash out a month but I use it for everything and only take some cash out for tips etc.....

It really is a god send for me and a lot of others on here....(y)

Thanks. I've always had a Fair FXcard. Just signed up for the revolut card.

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yes I agree @JJ the Revolut card is a good choice. But it doesn't do what I want.

Thanks everybody for your input, I know what I'm going to do now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back