Currency exchange question (2 Viewers)

Deleted User
I have quite a few hundred pounds in Polish zloty, not a problem as I go to Poland regularly and can easily use them, or indeed change them to euro's next time I pass through the tunnel so they will all get used without any fuss, however, when I have tried to change them to euro's in the past (in the UK) I was told zloty to sterling and then sterling to euro's and two exchange losses, as there was not the need I didn't bother. My question is, does anyone happen to know if that is still the rules or are there UK banks where you can change between any currencies in one transaction?

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Perhaps I am not fully understanding your situation but could you not exchange your Zloty to Euro's before the tunnel?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
He could but the bank want to exchange for sterling then euro, hence two transaction and thats the question he's asking, why can't he exchange zloty to euro in one go , as read it anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I thought the currency now in Poland was the Euro and the Zloty was defunct like the other European currencies or have the Poles got a black market going?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The only reason I can see is "Rip Off Britain"
All Banks have currency departments and they all deal in all currencies. Why would it be difficult to change from Zloty to € except that they would lose out on the opportunity to rip you off.

If I can tell you that 100 Zloty converts to just a shade over 24€ so can they.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As you visit Poland regularly why not exchange for Euro's there ?
Even if it's a poor exchange rate it can't be worse than two transaction fee's.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I thought the currency now in Poland was the Euro and the Zloty was defunct like the other European currencies or have the Poles got a black market going?

Wrong. Still Zloty, and I am just going across to the supermarket to spend some. And will get change for 1/5 of an English penny, if appropriate.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No still Zloty although I believe euro is accepted.

Revolut...

JJ :cool:

What ^^^^^Jj said .You can hold zloty on it as well as £'s , €'s $ , aussie dollars.
then it would be a straightforward one time exchange

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think it’s because in the UK we have the £ as our standard currency so they need to change to that first prior to changing to €.

OP
OP

Deleted User
He could but the bank want to exchange for sterling then euro, hence two transaction and thats the question he's asking, why can't he exchange zloty to euro in one go , as read it anyway
Thanks all for getting back. That's the question I was getting at, doesn't seem possible to swap two non sterling currencies in one go in the UK. Can confirm as other have done, still zloty in Poland, Euro only really accepted in tourist places or hotels at their chosen exchange rate. Looks like the system is still the same over here so will keep them for my next trip

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks all for getting back. That's the question I was getting at, doesn't seem possible to swap two non sterling currencies in one go in the UK. Can confirm as other have done, still zloty in Poland, Euro only really accepted in tourist places or hotels at their chosen exchange rate. Looks like the system is still the same over here so will keep them for my next trip

Where do you normally go in Poland?

We are in Katowice, just 5-10 mins. off the A4 motorway to Krakow.

I have Zloty and Euro bank acounts, so if you are passing we may be able to arrange something. Also we have a big yard, proper EHU point, water tap, grey water drain and a toilet next to garage for cassette emptying.

PM/Conversation if/when you have dates for next Poland visit.

Geoff

OP
OP

Deleted User
Where do you normally go in Poland?

We are in Katowice, just 5-10 mins. off the A4 motorway to Krakow.

I have Zloty and Euro bank acounts, so if you are passing we may be able to arrange something. Also we have a big yard, proper EHU point, water tap, grey water drain and a toilet next to garage for cassette emptying.

PM/Conversation if/when you have dates for next Poland visit.

Geoff
That's incredibly kind, however, as stated it really isn't a problem to spend them when I am over in Poland. We always go to Warsaw and travel or not from there. I lived on the corner of Wislana and Browama (Warsaw), however, we still go back regularly as all the family love Poland. I don't know Katowice very well, Krakow obviously on the tourist map when we had visitors, however, guessing about 90 mins away. To date we have always flown although this year I intend to rectify that and have a trip planned in for the van to an archaeological site near Gdansk so looking forward to that as well. We loved the defined seasons and feeling very jealous of you enjoying yourselves out there.Z poważaniem

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Try using we swap you can load in most currencies and direct swop on the app which is how I arrived in germany with £500 in aussie dollarand had to do 1 day swop to euros

OP
OP

Deleted User
Try using we swap you can load in most currencies and direct swop on the app which is how I arrived in germany with £500 in aussie dollarand had to do 1 day swop to euros
We Swap looks like it should work, however, it appears that to get started you need to preload your card with your domestic sterling to get started, once on the move you can then swap into any currency and keep swapping as you move countries so I can see its usefulness, however, doesn't appear to be a feature where you send them one currency (non sterling) and they send you another by return (non sterling). As mentioned above, I was merely curious as to what you could exchange in the UK, I will have no problem spending my money!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back