Cryptolocker Virus - Prevention is cheaper than cure (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I posted this on the cryptolocker virus thread but I get the feeling it won't be looked at as much as a fresh thread. (Even the police are paying the ransom). The cryptolocker virus encrypts all data files on your hard disk and the only way to get them back is to pay the ransom. There is no way round this, once infected you lose your files if you don't pay (unless you have a decent backup system).

Thought I would bring this to everyone's attentions.

PLEASE READ THIS IN FULL:

There is a prevention tool for cryptolocker. I have known about it for a couple of weeks but didn't want to recommend it until I had tried it myself. I have now installed it on 3 computers and not had any problems and the prevention technique appears to be sound. As a bonus it is also effective in stopping a bunch of other malware.

I have also seen that Brian Krebbs is recommending it. I Trust Krebbs when it comes to security, he knows his stuff.

Anyway here is the link:
http://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/

I recommend everyone running windows who has any valuable files not backed up to an unconnected storage area install this.

It may be worth signing up for the guys mailshot as well so you can keep it up to date in case the cryptolocker guys update it. If you are really grateful lob him some money by buying the auto update version.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back