Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
today I went to the Post Office and bought?? a Post Office travel money card and loaded £500 on to it, I took my Passport as requested and the nice man behind the counter duly filled out all the bits and pieces on the system to put me on and credit the money. He gave me the card, and the letter with the details and instructions on and off I went Happy to have settled the money problem for fuel etc.
I got home and promptly sat down and read the form CAREFULLY, found out what to do and then proceeded to put the instructions into action. Dialed up the number given an sent the TEXT to open the card by verifying the numbers given , sent them and waited, five seconds and BANG it came back 'wrong information' resend them after checking. This I did and nothing happened, nothing at all.
I turned the letter over and looked for the messaging details to verify it, found them and promptly put the required telephone number in hoping to speak to somebody, got a computor saying for 1 etc for 2 then for 3 . 1 was the choice so I put it in, then instructions to fill out the 16 numbers on the car followed by my birth-date, followed by the verification number. Bang! back it comes the numbers are wrong, so I redid it back it comes not recognised, did it again no good either. I am getting peeved about this as it is a lot of numbers to put in. I also noted the stolen lost card at number 2 also requires you to do the same but if it is gone you cannot do it either.
I then dialed up the help number after looking the FAQs online. Whoopee It is the same put all the numbers in again which I did hoping for somebody to TALK to. No chance it just says, not valid numbers. I know they are valid but obviously I am wrong. In the computor spoken message it came up with 'If you got this card at the Post Office then you must wait until 10.30 the next day before putting the details in. This was in the end of the spoken bit after you are meant to have put the details in. NOTHING WRITTEN DOWN IN THE FORM about this requirement and nothing on the Website either.
What a waste of time following all the written instructions. And as for the lost card bit, I suppose it stops you from actually doing anything about anything. I was at this time ready to kill with frustration.
I will try again tomorrow and see if I get through and activate the damn thing then. Why do they not put it down on the written instructions as that is what you are given to follow. Am I being a bit thick or something?????????????????

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Now to really upset you....!!!

Some if not many of the Automatic petrol stations found in France / Spain etc dont accept the pre-paid card.
Something to do with how they reserve a certain amount and then credit it back after you have completed the fuel fill.
Been a few posts about it on here in the past..

I have always just used a normal credit card for fuel and toll payments, not had any issues in 17 years so far..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Now to really upset you....!!!

Some if not many of the Automatic petrol stations found in France / Spain etc dont accept the pre-paid card.
Something to do with how they reserve a certain amount and then credit it back after you have completed the fuel fill.
Been a few posts about it on here in the past..

I have always just used a normal credit card for fuel and toll payments, not had any issues in 17 years so far..
Halifax clarity is what you should have , all online , works everywhere, NO charges don't have to pay till thirty days later not before(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Repeat after me;
I must not bang my head against the wall

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes,do what chaser does.
Why on earth would you go to the Post Office,they’re not very good.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Yes,do what chaser does.
Why on earth would you go to the Post Office,they’re not very good.
Someone on here said they were , and I ALWAYS believe another Funsters advice.
I used my debit card last time to fill, and they charged a load of conversion fees so I pay Cash, but as they are mostly card machines I thought I better get one. to have an alternative method.
Anyway it is the verifying method I really got up tight with.. The Post Office are only a front company anyway.

Anne Marie O Hagan

Free Member
Jul 5, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Knaus skyti
Exp
Since March 2016
I got a Post office money travel card. Also had great difficulty and went back to the local post office. The girl behind the counter told me that the only way to get anyone to actually talk to you was to press the option for card stolen . Bingo, I got someone straight away.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We use Halifax Clarity too. No fees at all. We also use WeSwap... again no fees

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Another vote for Clarity. Only use it abroad and buy as much as possible on card as it's usually better exchange rare and as above, no commission, no charges and pay 30 days later. Set up direct debit and no missing payments

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
We have ASDA pre-paid card, and have NEVER had a problem using it in France, Fuel Supermarket etc etc .. .. It is backed up with Halifax Clarity for when we've spent all our money !! :LOL:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Same here, ie, Nationwide fee free credit, and Metro fee free debit card for cash. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want to draw out cash from an ATM you want a pre-loaded cash card such as Revolut or Caxton, but for buying stuff you need a Halifax Clarity credit card or an Aqua one as this give you 0.05% cashback on all purchases with no commission etc on either of these.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Keep a copy of the number of the card and the telephone numbers etc on a piece of paper safely in the van.

But as others, I just use normal credit card everywhere. No fees on our Santander or Nat West card. Do remember to inform the card issuer that you are going abroad, it’s usually easy to do online but if you don’t do online banking then I expect you can ring up........but you had better leave it a few days until you have got over today!

My husband has a good method....”I’m not going on the phone to any bank/insurance people, I’d rather not go away. You do it”

So if I want to go away, I deal with all issues.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
We have always found the Asda Euro Currency card to work well in Europe. We set up to transfer the normal weekly pension money by standing order onto the card and Ann just uses it as if it was cash in Supermarkets or ATM's and like the Clarity there's no fees.
The set includes two cards on the one account, one you can tuck away and keep as a reserve in case the other got lost or stolen. The system is run by Access worldwide and you can view the card balance online whilst you are away if you want to. Would NEVER use a UK bank debit card, the fees are just a rip off
Asda works well for us.

Mike & Ann

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Same here, ie, Nationwide fee free credit, and Metro fee free debit card for cash. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
I thought I had one, but not when I wanted to actually use it I have ordered another form Nationwide. They also supply the breakdown cover.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Any views on the Caxton fx card?
We use Caxton and Halifax Clarity. I believe you pay a fee for drawing cash out of the Clarity Card so use the Caxton for keeping cash safe and draw it from ATM machines when required and the Clarity card for card payments. You can upload cash to the Caxton card online from your ordinary bank account from anywhere in the world. Been doing this for several years and very happy with the arrangement.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Even if you have now set up your post office card , there is no reason not to get a clarity card , all free, and if you never use it hasn't cost a penny but another string to your bow if the other doesn't work somewhere.
But once you do use it you will be very surprised when it actually doesn't cost anything in charges, apart from interest on money out of the wall which is actually pennies and obviously it has to be paid off by the due date.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We use Caxton and Halifax Clarity. I believe you pay a fee for drawing cash out of the Clarity Card so use the Caxton for keeping cash safe and draw it from ATM machines when required and the Clarity card for card payments. You can upload cash to the Caxton card online from your ordinary bank account from anywhere in the world. Been doing this for several years and very happy with the arrangement.
You do not pay a fee for drawing money out and will find you get a better rate than with other cards, what you do pay is interest on the money but as I said above , pennies, I think we actually paid 18 p on five hundred pounds withdrawn.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Clarity card for buying fuel ,food etc and Caxton for cash and emergencies. Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.