Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
After reading the foggyparrot thread re fuel just wondered how fast you guys cruise at to get these kind of fuel consumption figures?

I cruise at just under 60 mph when I can.

F

foggyparrot

Deleted User
In the Winnie I tended to stick around the 50 to 55 mark but that was purely because I was towing a trailer and car. Although we never experienced any instability problems with the trailer, 20 years of caravanning taught me to be sympathetic to the towed bit!

In the Monaco however, I do tend to try and get where I'm going a bit quicker mainly because it's not quite so pleasant a ride (and sod the trailer!). No, sorry, not strictly true.. On motorways I don't like sitting on the tails of lorries, I like to be the master of my own destiny and be able to see where I'm going. So usually about 60ish.

Mike

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I usually cruise at 70 with no car on the back and 55-60 towing. Ive never really seen the point in crawling along to save yourself £5.00 on a 500 mile journey. To me the time is better spent with my feet up and a nice glass of wine than sitting behind the wheel:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
We tow our car on a trailer, usually try to move on Sundays if possible to avoid the lorries, and set the cruise control to 60 when on a suitable road. Being full timers helps in that we can choose less congested times to travel and stay longer in each place - having said that the last fill up cost £175 and the tank was nowhere near empty. Oxygen needed at the pay window! We're getting somewhere in the 13-15mpg range.
Jan

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I have to do at least 55 or she won't drop into 5th, but usually cruise at about 58 the same speed as the lorries, get fed up overtaking them so don't bother unless they are crawling.

Olley

NEV3

Free Member
Feb 11, 2008
North East Wales
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 1996
I generaly cruise between 55-60 on motorways or dualcarriageways getting about 9 mpg with a towcar on the back. However, once last year when I wasn't towing and with no motorways on a 150 mile journey I stuck rigidly to 50mph just to see what the difference would be..........14mpg!!
Thats on a petrol Ford 6.8 V10.

NEV3

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Same here, I have to be doing almost 60mph to get into top, then once there I can bring her down to 50 or so. I either travel at 50 and let all the trucks overtake me, or I sit at 60/65 and overtake them. either way its still costing me an arm and two legs::bigsmile:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We run at lorry speed i.e., 90kph (56mph) as that gives us sensible mpg, and we are not either overtaking or being overtaken by lorries. Fortunately on the French roads we tend to use there are not too many lorries, even during the week, so with the cruise control set we have a pleasant relaxing journey.

Why rush? We prefer to look around and enjoy the journey!::bigsmile:

Cheers

Bob and Di

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I find cruising at 55-60 our Monaco has the torque or power to stay in top gear. If I run at 50 I find it has to shift down a gear at the slightest slope. So for us, 55-60mph.

Regards
Doug

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Likewise with our Monaco Cayman - we stay at around 57-60 with the trailer on the back and it seems to settle down well. Most of the time I am trying to keep it down to that speed because Mo can't take too much punishment from the suspension.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In the Winnie I tended to stick around the 50 to 55 mark but that was purely because I was towing a trailer and car. Although we never experienced any instability problems with the trailer, 20 years of caravanning taught me to be sympathetic to the towed bit!

In the Monaco however, I do tend to try and get where I'm going a bit quicker mainly because it's not quite so pleasant a ride
Mike

Hi Mike, I was under the illusion that the Roadmaster chassis was the dogs, never driven one though. What chassis was the Winny on and why was it more comfortable do you think? Or are we just talking deeper cushions:Smile:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am much happier not running with the lorries as they can out brake me leaving me either slowly overtaking them or them overtaking me which i don't like constantly being boxed in.

F

foggyparrot

Deleted User
Hi Jim,

The Winnie was on a P30 with Air Ride. It was just like being in a hovercraft! Bumps and potholes always seemed to be 'implied' and heard rather than felt.

The biggest difference between the two though were the driver and passenger seats. The Winnies, like most other RV's had the nice figure hugging contoured seats where the Monaco seats are more like leather armchairs. Lovely, except you spend most of your time trying to stop sliding about from side to side and backwards and forwards.

Although the Monaco is full air, bumps and potholes do tend to leave you with the impression that dentafix would be a good option even if you don't have false teeth.

The Monaco has a much 'firmer' ride, which is better for motorway work at speed, whereby the Winnie was far superior on 'A' and 'B' roads and did tend to suffer with a bit of wallow on the motorway particularly in winds or when being overtaken by larger vehicles.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back