Cruise Control and Habitation Air Conditioning (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Hi,

Cruise control appeals and the habitation area air conditioning needs re-gassing. Are there any Traders on here that could do one / both of these? Could you please send me a PM, preferably with a quote. Not sure how much information you need but the engine is a Mercedes with a sprint shift gear box and the air conditioning unit is a Dometic.

Needs to be completed prior to the July / August trip to France. I have a few breaks during the next few weeks so could travel. :thanks2:

If anyone has any views or opinions regarding cruise control for the van then I would be pleased to hear them too

Thank you muchly,

Lorraine x

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I had cruise fitted by Dave Newell in Telford (his link is top right). Cost about £400 on my Fiat Ducato, worth every penny.

Steve

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Had cruise control on cars for years and hardly used it - only time it is any use is in the 'average speed sections' when everyone drives at exactly 50 mph or on an empty motorway ( :roflmto: ) . Came up the M1 from London yesterday with speeds yo-yo ing from 80 down to a crawl. Air con's a good idea but cruise control IMHO a waste of money. Anyway the roads I like driving on you couldn't use CC for long. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Had cruise control on cars for years and hardly used it - only time it is any use is in the 'average speed sections' when everyone drives at exactly 50 mph or on an empty motorway ( :roflmto: ) . Came up the M1 from London yesterday with speeds yo-yo ing from 80 down to a crawl. Air con's a good idea but cruise control IMHO a waste of money. Anyway the roads I like driving on you couldn't use CC for long. :RollEyes:

I agree it depends on your driving style, when I hit a speed limit I hit it and then use the stalk to go up and down a few miles an hour. Same on the motorway, use the stalk as much as possible.

Just a matter of getting used to it, but not for everyone.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
We can sort your cruise control out but not the air con I'm afraid. Try Van Bitz, they're Dometic agents and should be able to help with your air con, not sure if they do cruise control though.

Personally I find cruise control a boon and use it a lot of the time: 30 limit, hit the cruise ad no worries about speed cameras. Open road cruising we travel at 56MPH on cruise for tens of miles without disengaging. CC is one of the first additions to any vehicle which joins our small fleet, just fitted one this morning to the new (to us) service barge.

D.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Personally I find cruise control a boon and use it a lot of the time: 30 limit, hit the cruise ad no worries about speed cameras. Open road cruising we travel at 56MPH on cruise for tens of miles without disengaging. CC is one of the first additions to any vehicle which joins our small fleet, just fitted one this morning to the new (to us) service barge.

D.[/QUOTE]

I am surprised that you are advocating using CC in 30mph zones, far to dangerous. I believe in the US (where it was first used) in some towns and cities it is actually illegal to use CC inside town/city limits.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

D.

I am surprised that you are advocating using CC in 30mph zones, far to dangerous. I believe in the US (where it was first used) in some towns and cities it is actually illegal to use CC inside town/city limits.[/QUOTE]

I only use CC in 30 zones where traffic is light, I do not use it in heavy traffic. If you are the only vehicle travelling through a 30 limit why would it be dangerous to use cruise control? The most important part of cruise control (any vehicle system really) is the intelligence of the driver/controller.

D.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp

D.

I am surprised that you are advocating using CC in 30mph zones, far to dangerous. I believe in the US (where it was first used) in some towns and cities it is actually illegal to use CC inside town/city limits.[/QUOTE]

Why? Is creeping up to 35, 40 or more less dangerous.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I am surprised that you are advocating using CC in 30mph zones, far to dangerous. I believe in the US (where it was first used) in some towns and cities it is actually illegal to use CC inside town/city limits.

Why? Is creeping up to 35, 40 or more less dangerous.[/QUOTE]

I could just as easily reply and say - do you need CC to stay within the speed limits?

I have a car with CC and a MH without, I don't find cruise control either helpful or useful on our crowded, twisting roads. I tend to 'cruise' myself and find driving the MH much more enjoyable than the car.

I have put all the useful 'toys' on the MH, air-con, reversing camera, air suspension - just would never consider cruise control

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Check this thread

Broken Link Removed

Cruise Control definitely gets my vote!

Wyn

OP
OP
whingyraindrop
Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Thank you for the responses and opinions. :thanks2:

I understand what you mean about crowded roads, but much of the driving is UK motorways and in France, where I believe it will be particularly useful.

Lorraine x

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have cruise on my van factory fitted I paid extra well worth the money and excellent on a journey I would agree with Dave about stopping you creeping over the speed limit

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Personally I like Cruise control - it saves continual corrrection to maintain a steady speed once set it will automatically come off if the clutch or brake are applied - it definately gives me at least another 1 or 2 mpg and makes for much more comfortable driving - I drive many thousands of miles each year and hate to be in a vehicle without it

Globalempire

Free Member
May 7, 2011
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Lorraine

Our van is the first vehicle we have had with cruise control and at first I didn't know if I would use it much. With experience I find it very useful whenever there is a stretch of reasonably open road. I am sure it helps with diesel economy so you might find it would pay for itself eventually if you had it fitted.

Good luck

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back