Croydon bus lane, can I use it? (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Yesterday, approaching Croydon, I noticed on the bus lane signs, it showed "goods vehicles 3.5t+" as my van is register as at 3.85t and classed as a private heavy goods vehicle, can I use it?
I suspect technically yes? But would probably get a ticket then have to appeal it?

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
Here is one of the signs:
upload_2017-7-17_8-21-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-17_8-21-14.png
    upload_2017-7-17_8-21-14.png
    981.7 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
I'll probably never go there again, but was just interested, I suspect they intend it to be used for delivery vehicles, but presumably as we are registered as a "hgv" then we would technically qualify, although probably not their intention.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I noticed a similar issue at Avon Heath Country Park near Ringwood on Saturday. We pulled in to the car park there for lunch and as the main car park has height barriers we parked in the smaller area which has a sign saying "no caravans" and that this area was for HGV and LGV only. We've parked here before and never had any hassle and didn't this time but it did go through my mind, if we were challenged, the copy of the V5 we carry which says we are Private Light Goods might come in handy. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Here is one of the signs:
View attachment 174514
If you analyze the reason for this lane then you could probably answer your own question. Are you delivering goods or carrying paying passenger's. Is it imperative that you are not held up or are you just driving the two of you into town using a gas guzzling polluter for leisure purposes when you could be on a bus. Simples....;)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
There is a difference between "Taxation Class" i.e. Private HGV and "Vehicle Category" i.e. M1 - Vehicle designed for the carriage of Passengers / N1 vehicle designed for the carriage of goods. I think you would have a hard time justifying being in a "Goods Vehicle" lane unless your V5 states N1.

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
Thanks for your replies, Zigisla, appreciate your comments, but the signs to not state a vehicle category, simply 3.5t+ which I am , the road states "goods vehicle" which I am.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks for your replies, Zigisla, appreciate your comments, but the signs to not state a vehicle category, simply 3.5t+ which I am , the road states "goods vehicle" which I am.

No you aren't. PHGV is a taxation class nothing more, it is not a vehicle type.

You're basically a very heavy car. That's why you can have a Class 4 MOT.

As was thoroughly discussed on another thread a few days ago there's no such thing as an HGV any more. The terms HGV and Heavy Goods Vehicle are not in official use and have no meaning or definition outside of those VED bands.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Let us know the outcome of the Appeal. ;);):D2

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't carrying goods, other than associated with living, an exclusion from being a motorhome, and if you were given a penalty and claimed you were a goods vehicle, could you then be asked for your carriage of goods insurance, which you don't have. Technicality I know.
Note so much here but more in France if we see the Weight limits on roads with a car we comply and don't use them, but if they show that identical goods vehicle shape we tend to ignore as we are not a goods vehicle.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As in the adage 'a picture speaks a thousand words' and as suggested above

upload_2017-7-17_9-56-34.png

theres no image of a motorhome, don't risk it IMO

plus is it worth the inevitable road rage as you try to rejoin the main carriageway later

theres no rush :)(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You are not a 'commercial' goods or passenger vehicle so no you cannot use it.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Yesterday, approaching Croydon, I noticed on the bus lane signs, it showed "goods vehicles 3.5t+" as my van is register as at 3.85t and classed as a private heavy goods vehicle, can I use it?
I suspect technically yes? But would probably get a ticket then have to appeal it?

Vehicle categories are shown on the sign in the pic.
Goods vehicle is there, no Motor Caravan.

You are not a goods vehicle.
PHGV is just a taxation class.
If you check your V5C you will probably find your vehicle is (as all MHs / RVs / campervans are) registered as a "Motor Caravan".

It would be hard to define in court a motorhome as a goods vehicle, it not being "designed or adapted for the carriage of goods".
Your personal effects can't sensibly be regarded as "goods"?
At best it would be "designed for the carriage of passengers and / or goods, which would make it a "dual purpose vehicle". (Range Rover, etc.)

Be careful on this bus lane issue, some Police Forces and Councils don't mess about arguing the toss where enforcement is concerned.

If in doubt, stay out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back