Crown Green Bowling (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Open request to Crown Green Bowlers.

I play indoor bowls and have played outdoor also short mat.
I would like to have a go at CGB and was wondering amongst our members if anyone would like to accommodate me for a roll up. I'm quite happy to park my Swift rhythm on a drive, pub car park or up for suggestions.
I play with Lazers, Vectors, Ligonoids or could borrow a set from my club.

I am travelling from Dorset and realise that CGB is mainly played Midlands and upwards.

In return I am more than happy to return the favour and accommodate you either at my home and at Bournemouth Indoor Bowls Club, any of the local outdoor clubs or both.

Motor home parking not a problem

I travel alone as my wife is a fair weather M Homer and not a bowler.

Kind regards

David

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry I cannot help you with the crown green as I too live in the south. I play short mat and outdoor at club in Hook and was interested to see another Motorhomer and bowler. I must admit I do not take my bowls away with me.

OP
OP
Live Life Now
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Good on yer Mr Bowler,

Fancy a roll up one day drive over use my drive Your welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have recently sold my Thomas Taylor Lignum Vitae crown green bowls as I was finding it increasingly difficult to bend down and pick them up. A beautiful pair of silver mounted bowls complete with jack and leather bowls bag. Virtually gave them away at the local car boot for £40. Just about everyone I knew in Cheshire played crown green with many pubs having a bowling green at one time. The sport does seem to have died out a lot up here nowadays.

OP
OP
Live Life Now
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Hi Snowbird,

Shame that your not able to play bowls, I do hope that your still able to spend some time with bowlers and share the fellowship that we all enjoy.

Be lucky my friend and enjoy your leisure time.

Me I'm still looking for a game of CGB

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Sorry I cannot help you with the crown green as I too live in the south. I play short mat and outdoor at club in Hook and was interested to see another Motorhomer and bowler. I must admit I do not take my bowls away with me.

We have been members at Oakley since last season. Never played before and only joined for a bit of fun but it is blinking addictive!

OP
OP
Live Life Now
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Hi-ya Cornish boy,

Like I've said to others if your up in Dorset let me know and I promise you and yours a good days bowling. Will even teach you a few tricks if you have just started. I am a retired coach.

cost you nothing to park up as I do have a hook up and all the other necessities on my drive.

David

RickT

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato McLouis
Exp
1 Year
Nice to see there are fellow bowlers on here. I had to travel around a lot last year and as a first-year motorhome owner found it a great benefit, even spent fifteen days parked at the old Leamingtonians Rugby ground for the National Finals in Leamington. Sorry, can't help on the crown green game as I am a flat green player, I don't like walking up hills.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Years ago I could have told you all sorts of places with CGs - now I don't know of ONE. There's even a pub at Lichfield called The Bowling Green - it's been part of their carpark for decades now!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
When the government introduced the State Management Scheme in this area during WW 1 to curb drinking amongst the munitions workers, the architect Sir Harry Redfern was called in to redesign the public houses and make them more "friendly" for women and families. One of his ideas was that almost every pub would have a bowling green. In the 80's we regularly used to play after 6 to 2 shift, either at The Magpie or The Near Boot, my Mother's uncle ran The Bowling Green pub in the middle of Carlisle, but that's now a bail hostel :( I was a maintenance fitter at a textile mill in the city that had it's own bowling green right next to the works in Denton Holme. A few of the Working Men's type establishments in the city still have a Table Bowls league, all played in miniature on a snooker table using a small wooden ramp to roll the bowls off.
As an aside, if you're coming up to Scotland anytime, there is a Museum within a couple of miles of the M6, A74/75 junction at Eastriggs, dedicated to the history of the munitions works, the largest factory in the world at that time. It's called "The Devil's Porridge exhibition" a name given to the toxic brew of guncotton and nitroglycerine that was coined by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle during a propaganda visit to the works.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back