Crossing the Pyranees in January (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
we are hoping to spend next Jan/Feb in Spain and would like information on the hazards of crossing the Pyranees at this time of year.

I know some of you have made this trip, so preferred routes ( we will be crossing via the Chunnel), do we need snow chains or tyres ( legally) etc. All advice gratefully received.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
If going via Chunnel then my preferred route is more or less Rouen, Le Mans, Tours, Bordeaux,Toulouse, Perpignan,m Barcelona & all points South.

Either using toll roads or not there are no worries about crossing Pyranees or any other mountains on that route :)

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
If going via Chunnel then my preferred route is more or less Rouen, Le Mans, Tours, Bordeaux,Toulouse, Perpignan,m Barcelona & all points South.

Either using toll roads or not there are no worries about crossing Pyranees or any other mountains on that route :)

Thank you. That's good to know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
For winter weather it's best to be around the Valencia area and south from there.
A lot use the "western" route as in Calais, Rouen, Chartes and then straight down the N10. Toll free but there are a few places you can use tolls to save time if required. Weather varies every year and can change quickly so best to look at as time gets nearer and monitor on way down.
If clear you can use the Somport tunnel route through the Pyrenees or stay safe and go down to the border at Irun.
If you look in the resources section I have a route in there that lists a few stopovers.

Ref snow chains, AFAIK not needed on the main routes. However i did once see a temporary sign (in French) saying they must be carried as I approched the Somport tunnel, To late for me and I risked it, luckily there was hardly anything there snow wise (phew)...

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/tonkas-western-route-to-spain.99/

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
For winter weather it's best to be around the Valencia area and south from there.
A lot use the "western" route as in Calais, Rouen, Chartes and then straight down the N10. Toll free but there are a few places you can use tolls to save time if required. Weather varies every year and can change quickly so best to look at as time gets nearer and monitor on way down.
If clear you can use the Somport tunnel route through the Pyrenees or stay safe and go down to the border at Irun.
If you look in the resources section I have a route in there that lists a few stopovers.

Ref snow chains, AFAIK not needed on the main routes. However i did once see a temporary sign (in French) saying they must be carried as I approched the Somport tunnel, To late for me and I risked it, luckily there was hardly anything there snow wise (phew)...

Totally reliable Tonka. Excellent routes and used them last year. Top man.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/tonkas-western-route-to-spain.99/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back