crossing the mountains mid April (1 Viewer)

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
we're travelling down to Brindisi from Eurotunnel Calais 9th April...wondering whether to go down to the coast of France and cross into Italy along the coast (boring I know) or to go through Germany and Switzerland and into Italy this way. We do not have chains and our tyres are 'mud and snow'. Anyone travelled down this way mid April experiencing weather and road conditions?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You shouldn't have any problems in April, by then most of the snow at lower levels will have gone and the authorities are very good at keeping the main roads clear - even in January! Just avoid the smaller passes - there will be warnings if any of then are closed anyway. This from lots of winter sports trips driving a coach (I only ever used the snow chains once and that was only as a precaution, in January).
Not sure about "mud and snow tyres", check for the snowflake symbol which indicates a proper winter tyre, which Germany requires although I think the regs will be relaxed by then.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Best way I reckon, assuming that you are crossing via the Calais area, would be to head through France via Reims, Metz, Nancy, Epinal and Mulhouse and cross the border into Switzerland at Basel. Traverse Switzerland using motorways all the way via the Gotthard Tunnel and enter Italy at Como. Looking at the map that is the most direct way.

We did that route in mid March 2016 and it took us about 5 hours to get through Switzerland after allowing for a half hour delay at the Gotthard Tunnel. Easy run through with good roads. The only snow we encountered was by the side of the road (not on the road itself) near the entrance to the Gotthard Tunnel, and we did not have winter tyres of chains with us. Then you are on the Italian road system which has reasonably good cheap toll motorways or bone shaking local roads you can use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pia

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Best way I reckon, assuming that you are crossing via the Calais area, would be to head through France via Reims, Metz, Nancy, Epinal and Mulhouse and cross the border into Switzerland at Basel. Traverse Switzerland using motorways all the way via the Gotthard Tunnel and enter Italy at Como. Looking at the map that is the most direct way.

This is our preferred route by OH was a bit worried about the condition of the roads. Many thanks for this formormation.

OP
OP
Pia

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
You shouldn't have any problems in April, by then most of the snow at lower levels will have gone and the authorities are very good at keeping the main roads clear - even in January! Just avoid the smaller passes - there will be warnings if any of then are closed anyway.
That is really reassuring..many thanks indeed...I shall happily plan our route now through Germany as we know France like the back of our hands but not Germany at all.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We don't have M&S tyres but as you only have to have winter/M&S tyres fitted until 15th April in Austria & Germany we thought there was no chance we'd have a problem.

Unfortunately on the 19th April last year (the day we were driving to Graz) it was snowing....We needn't have worried though...the motorways were absolutely fine.

Motorway just outside Munich:
29ypn2p.jpg

Service station in Trieben where we stopped for a quick break:
34y62c7.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries