Croissant/pain au chocolat/pain aux raisins? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Je regret! Je N’ anime croissants - too fatty and too early ( dont eat breakfast) but can eat baguette butter and cheese every day when in France . Have been found wandering in withdrawal trance when back in Blighty , muttering to self ‘ from age ... du pain ‘ in a heartbroken way
Have to admit I don't like them either, like eating flaky cardboard at times whereas a nice fresh baguette eaten 'naked' is great, but with butter ... absolute bliss! :giggle:

I know where my love of bread comes from ... as a kid when on my way home from primary school my mum always bought me a little bread bap to keep me going until dinner time which was usually around 7.00 pm when my Dad got in.

If I was lucky I occasionally got a lemon curd tart.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Plain for me, I like chocolate but hate anything chocolate flavored.

No, a proper pain au chocolate has two tubes of softened actual chocolate along its interior. My answer's a proper bakery pain au raisin as long as it has enough egg custard to keep it properly moist. If we only have a supermarket which isn't Lidl's to get freshly baked ones - probably apple turnovers are the best choice.

Mind you - you can go a long way before you can beat a slice of brioche tranche toasted, with marmalade - don't need to butter it , and it browns pdq, if you don't eat the rest of the packet of brioche - get the marmalade out again, make marmalade sandwiches, arrange decoratively in your pie dish/casserole. baking tin and beat up some eggs and a drop of milk, chuck in the oven and enjoy the resultant marmalade pudding. Don't need any sugar in the custard, sweet enough from the brioche and marmelade.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last week a new deli opened just round the corner from us run by a family on the estate. Their pastries & croissants are as good as French ones. Our daughter keeps going in there and coming down to our house with a bag of them, loving it, well my wallet is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Almond croissant for me although I love them all. Damn you. I am trying to be good. Darling daughter has just gone back to Bangladesh after our early “Christmas” so we have been eating all sorts of treats, that tuna salad for lunch did nothing and the bowl of fruit is no longer very appealing!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Croissant for me. Slightly crispy outer with a soft buttery inner is best.

That said, Croissant Amande wins for me every time. 😋

My OH is a Croissant Amande officiado too, but we only seem to find them in E. France.

I like the crispy croissant with soft centre made with lots of butter.

Geoff

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
My OH is a Croissant Amande officiado too, but we only seem to find them in E. France.

I like the crispy croissant with soft centre made with lots of butter.

Geoff

They have them in the Alps around the Briancon area. Bizarrely, they are all different too. Some are light and fluffy, others heavy and sweet depending on the bakery. Best bet is to try them all. 😋

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
......if you don't eat the rest of the packet of brioche - get the marmalade out again, make marmalade sandwiches, arrange decoratively in your pie dish/casserole. baking tin and beat up some eggs and a drop of milk, chuck in the oven and enjoy the resultant marmalade pudding. Don't need any sugar in the custard, sweet enough from the brioche and marmelade.

I often make a baguette bread and butter pudding but I'm gonna nick that idea, ta! (y) 😁

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
Nothing better than going to the local Boulangerie on Sunday morning and getting warm croissants and bread, always a good choice of different breads including the baguette.
Nothing on the croissants, but just butter on the warm bread. Heavenly...
Sunday is reserved for croissants and bread in the morning and a sweet pastry in the afternoon...

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
A thing that surprised (and pleased) me was that French bakers will cut and sell you half a baguette.

Couldn't imagine that in England.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I can hardly wait for our first trip to France! On leaving school I started work as an apprentice baker at Patersons Bakery in Kirkintilloch. I learned my trade from probably two of the best in the business, one of whom was 84 (and still working 6 hours a day) and the foreman who was 55 when I started. Both had been bakers since leaving school. The quality of their work was fantastic. The variety of the bread wasn't great (don't think it was anywhere in the '70s) but their Danish pastries were to die for. Ever since then I've always made a bee-line for bakers shops whenever I go anywhere to sample their quality, but I've yet to sample a range which comes anywhere near the quality.
It had been a family business for over 100 years and alas it folded about 4 years after the owner passed away as the son had no interest in the business.
Looking back I could have started a business with the skills and knowledge I gained in the almost 10 years I worked there. I often wonder if any of that knowledge was passed on to the next generation :(

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I love them all which is probably why I am now a diabetic! Pan au raisin is the one though!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back