Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Daft question how do you travel with your crockery, packed into a box or left in the locker racks.
As a tugger we packed away but
none of our vans had positive locking doors to keep stuff in (as we found out smashed cooker glass :madder:).
The Mh has locking doors so leave in or pack away your advice and wisdom please.
Lindsay

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
upper cupboards are spring loaded hinges so even if they dont lock properly ( mine dont ) everything stays put - hinges are strong enough sprung to stay shut just caution needed when opening but even if catches worked properly you still need to be cautious opening cupboard

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
In all our vans we have always left the crockery in the cupboard, however, we do mostly have melamine. For the crockery that's breakable we put kitchen roll between the items as it's stops the rattling/tinkling too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Angel005

Free Member
Aug 15, 2018
Funster No
No such question as a daft one. We are fortunate that our old MH has a plate and cup rack fitted into one of the overhead cupboards secured with Velcro straps. Unfortunately our larger plates don't fit in them so we keep those in a storage box on the bottom of another cupboard and so far, not had anything broken. Good luck with your research. There are lots of helpful seasoned Funster's so am sure you will receive a few good tips

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
For the crockery I use one of these.
71EHFFxzgJL._SY355_.jpg

And use this cut into suitable sized squares to stop the plates slipping on each other.
download.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
carthorse

carthorse

Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
We prefer Corelle plates never liked melamine. Didn't think about putting kitchen roll between the plates what a simple brilliant idea,just needs someone to look at it from a different angle (y) thanks for all your advice left in the locker it is :clap:.
Lindsay

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
For the plates we have one of these in the cupboard:

We use Ikea OFTAST plates and bowls (cheaper version of Corelle) and much nicer than plastic or melamine in my opinion. The Ikea plates fit the rack perfectly with no rattles (y)

For our mugs and wine glasses we bought some 2" foam from Dunelm which I've cut to size to fit the cupboard and then cut holes in to stand the mugs and glasses in. Its not the best use of space, but we have plenty of kitchen storage and it works well.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I use Churchill hotel ware (white crockery) as I refuse to eat/drink from that dreadful melamine stuff.

I store plates, dishes, cup, etc. loose in a plastic box.

Plastc box is kept in a lower cupboard as the crockery is heavy.

Never had a breakage and the only chips on the crockery have been the ones I have eaten.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We also use the OFTAST crockery from IKEA. They are absolutely brilliant and very cheap @ 50p per item which means if they do get broken easily replaceable cheaply - ours haven't broken even when dropped onto a hard floor! Ours are just piled up in a cupboard using the not slip matting between each size of plate/bowl, not in between each plate, bowl. Cups are just stood in the cupboard. Never had anything break or fall out.

Denise

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have your standard crockery plates and dishes, held in a rack in the overhead lockers, they have never fell out, also china cups and glass wine glasses and tumblers.
Wouldn't drink out of or eat off plastic at home so why would you do it whilst enjoying your leisure time.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Corelle are tempered glass and explode like the old car windscreens. We met someone who had some and they said they were still finding glass. We use Vitrous Enamel plates and bowls. Much lighter than crockery and all fits very snuggly together in a drawer. We don’t keep anything heavy in the overhead lockers. If anything falls out it’s going to make a mess of a table or worktop.

Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We use bamboo for plates and bowls.proper china for coffee mugs though.
Stacked tight with tea towels to stop the rattling as we need to have t towels anyway.

Upvote 0

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Big plates are stored face up piled on top of one another. Side plates and bowls are stored on their edge in a plastic tub. No breakages yet, bought 10 years ago for first van. Did try melamine, horrible in my opinion although hubby still uses the odd one.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our plates and bowls are melamine mugs are bone china, sheet of non slip matting on the bottom of the locker plates and bowls just stacked up, mugs stay in place on the mat.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have something similar to this

upload_2018-10-21_17-2-53.jpeg

in a deep drawer. I much prefer "proper" crockery to corelle or plastic :)

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We stack ours flat, not vertical, resting against a forward bulkhead. Kitchen cloth between each for travelling, which is removed when first used and replaced before the subsequent trip.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back