Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
thanks for the vote of confidence webby1 Here's a quick list of sources of data i used that may be useful to you and anyone else.
android phone apps all free from google play store
LPG CNG FINDER lpg site finder for europe
TRUCK PARKING areas suitable for safely parking lorries overnight
CAMPING CROATIA the app for www.camping.hr
VIA MICHELIN route finder with tolls and prices

internet sites
tolltickets.com prices of vignettes and tolls and why (motorways or everywhere)
mylpg.eu lists lpg sites in europe with country prices ie croatia 327 sites 0.625eu/l lpg and 1.355eu/l diesel
accuweather.com ffor weather and 10 day forecasts
hope these nuggets solve a question or two have a couple more but internet is so slow. will save for another day

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
we went through Belgium, Germany, Austria and Slovenia.
What were the roads like? Is the weather likely to be good for the next 4-6 weeks? Are there lots of campsites enroute - I'd take at least a week to get there from Calais?

We're supposed to be going to France/Spain/ Portugal - have all the maps etc bought but my son has put it in my head to do Croatia instead and having checked the hours from Calais with AA autoroute (14hrs) I'm thinking of changing my mind (aren't women allowed to do that?) and going there instead.

There's just too much choice - we'll likely never make it out of the UK!

Dot

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
hi there dotplus6
the roads are ok surfaces on some are very smooth lost a bit of traction in the heavy rain we had .Some of the toll roads are just dual carriage ways with a 100km limit.I haven't used the new motorway they have just built so can't comment on it the scenery on the coastal road so far is brilliant ,i think, as the driver you can't appreciate it well but judging by the ooo's and aaah's coming from the passenger seat the wife is enjoying the views.
As to the questions asked by others according to ACSI web site quite a few sites are all yearas well as WWW.camping.hr
As to the weather use the accuweather web site dial in your destination and you can select extended for about 14 days ahead or select month and see what it was in that month last year not very accurate but a good general guide to filling wardrobe.
dotplus6 I take it you have an engine at the front of your unit and you are in control of it (or other half) you can go anywhere YOU want.
The last tip i'm offering today is about charity shops.The other half uses them to expand her wardrobe but i use them to expand my library of lonely planet etc guides. The book may be a year or 2 old but the sights and views and information these books contain very rarely alter.
Must go now the sun is out and its 22degrees in the shade need to use up some of thee gallons on sun lotion the wife has brought.

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
hi there again
am in SPLIT weather was 29degrees this morning. views are still brilliant the D8 coast road still VERY windy and croatain drivers still annoying. Having driven this coast road for over half its lenght i can say that this road mut be a nightmare in the summer holidays Every 4th house has rooms to rent and every village has at least 4 autocamps (little campsites of about 20 or so vans some right on the water) but no prices or details. Also plenty of small stalls sell fruit veg olive oil etc. Autogas garages are very well posted. Forgot to ask secretary to note prices will do that on next trip to dubrovnik.
on the coast road D8 don't expect to do more than 40mph in total. The toll road runs parallel so you could use that to get closer but you wouldn't get the views. Oh now the tips
If you are a sun lover and love lying down and soaking up the sun bring padding ie all the beaches are stoney ranging from grit to boulders or concrete sand dosen't exist towels are no good i was using a duvet with a sheet of nylon to protect it and it was still uncomfortable.
In lidls a kilo nectarines 89 pence Whole chicken 1.3 kg £2.94 sangria 2litres £2.00
No shortage of lidls ,tommys etc but big vans may find no space .
Using our COB to cook chicken to night so must go and start the coals

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
glad that all is still going well. andy said just bring it back in one piece and hopes you and liz are doing fine.have FUN see you soon mate.i am green with envy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
back again
well the latest update on croatia is BLOODY MOSQUITOS (Sorry about the shouting and i think the spelling )but these little bleeders are making mine and liz's life hell. In the last week millions of the little devils have appeared and they are starving.and they are making a meal of us.The germans swear by the burning of coils of repellent but as most people in croatia aren't keen on the germans it maybe that as these are croatian mossies they have the same likes and dislikes.As english people, we are well liked by the locals both human and insects.
We are parked in starigrad in the shade under pine trees and the outside temp is 24.
Despite the problems with the insects liz (the wife) who was very unsure about coming to this place was asked last night shall we come back here next year.Her answer was "too bloody right"This is a woman with over 60 mossie bites and driven part mad by the itching.
It is a beautiful country still very basic and a bit backward in somethings prices are very good lpg is available and well signed off the coast road.Yes it is a long drive but still closer than portugal (via Calais).
The time to come here for us is september ,school holidays must be a nightmare.We might see you next year

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we will send you some bite cream..very glad that you are having a great time. cant wait to see you and have a chat.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The ficc meeting is in Croatia next year thinking of doing it. That will be a good trip
Shuggy, Rita and thought about doing the FICC Rally as we've not been to one yet, despite it being held in Lincoln a few years ago. :crying1:

I am a bit concerned of the toll costs though, of taking a 5T tandem axle MH through Switzerland or Austria. Any further info or help on traversing either of those countries toll roads, would be appreciated.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this informative thread. (y)

Cheers for now, and safe travels for those still touring,

Jock & Rita.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Shuggy, Rita and thought about doing the FICC Rally as we've not been to one yet, despite it being held in Lincoln a few years ago. :crying1:

I am a bit concerned of the toll costs though, of taking a 5T tandem axle MH through Switzerland or Austria. Any further info or help on traversing either of those countries toll roads, would be appreciated.

Jock & Rita.
Jock I get my tolls from the Swiss tourist office in London. For 10 m that's with my trailor worked out £29 for the year. I can't see it being much more for urs but I'll find out they open at 9 I'll get back to u on here

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

Jock & Rita.
Jock just foned STC( Swiss tourist centre 0207-420-4934 in London). They said anything over 3.5 ton u need to go to the border where they will put u on. The scales then u can bye the vinuette there the girl I spoke to said there's no way she could find out anything over 3.5 must get it from the border. As for Austria I get mine at the last petrol station before I go in to Austria .

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Jock I wouldent go Swiss any way I go through Germany cross over bye Innsbruck .

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks for that Shuggy. (y)

I did look at the Swiss route, but have only travelled on minor routes along by Lake Constance/Bodisee, so not knowledgeable of toll costs for the Vignette or Go-Box.
Jock I wouldent go Swiss any way I go through Germany cross over bye Innsbruck .
Do you mean Innsbruck into Northern Italy, down to Trieste, into Slovenia around Koper, then into Croatia past Rijeka, and down to Jasenice then Pag Island?

Can you tell I've just looked at the map? :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock.

P.S. Just found this.......... Broken Link Removed,
and this.............https://www.go-maut.at/portal/faces...6F77BF3340C0A57A4601.jvm.prd.internet_neu.p01

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
We are 4.2T. We paid (I think) 30SF for 10 days road tax to be used within one year for Switzerland.
Each day you drive on the road you fill out on the form.
There are other options for more or less use.
Get it at the border. Took about 3 minutes.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Great thread, even though it is 2 years old.
I haven't been there for 41 years (different life and wife) so its great to hear that the locals are still friendly and that it hasn't become too modernised.
We are starting off at Camping Baldarin, where I was back then.. Its naturist, but who needs clothes in that environment and heat.
Note to self :- keep todger away from mossies.
Mitch.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Great thread, even though it is 2 years old.
I haven't been there for 41 years (different life and wife) so its great to hear that the locals are still friendly and that it hasn't become too modernised.
We are starting off at Camping Baldarin, where I was back then.. Its naturist, but who needs clothes in that environment and heat.
Note to self :- keep todger away from mossies.
Mitch.
Hi Jenny & Mitch. :)

We visited Croatia in May, as did @cliffandger, we we all enjoyed it. For Rita and I, who lived in Cyprus for three years, it reminded us so much of that. We loved Croatia, and would make an effort to go back there again. My favourite beer was Tomislav. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back