Lumbago

Free Member
Feb 7, 2009
Stratford Upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
  • Everyone tells us that Croatia is beautiful, but some advice please? When is the earliest to go for good weather? Would mid-March be ok? Also, what's the recommended route from Calais? Any recommended coastal campsites? Are aires available and are they safe? Any up to date info. would be much appreciated. :Smile:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We did Europe July - Oct this year spending last end of aug (very busy) & 1st two weeks sept in Croatia, went all the way down to Dubrovnick & back. Our blog is posted on MHF in the blog section. We travelled France,Switzerland,Italy,Slovenia,Croatia & back. Only intended to be in Slovenia for a couple of days but loved it so much spent 2 weeks there! Would think March may be bit too early for hot weather but reckon if we did it again would pick end May early June.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have done Croatia the past two year and depending on how long you have got for the trip will dictate the route. I always like to get there and then do the touring bit so I go through Belgium into Germany at Achen stop at a nice little site at Limburg-am-Main between Koln and Frankfurt right alongside the river and 10 mins from the autobahn, then on to South of Munich to another nice site on the Chiemsee, again close to autobahn on the lake front, we usually stay a few days there then through Austris, Slovenia and into Croatia. Apart from the Austria and Slovenia Tolls/Vignettes there are no other Tolls and you are on Autobahn all the way. Alternatively meander South through France on the N roads etc..... On my route I drive (wife wont drive MH yet) for 5-6 hours a day and we are usually where we want to be by mid afternoon in time for a few drinks, nice meal and a good sleep. Both sites we use have a restaurant and bar and full facilities.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Aires and France passion

Hi, we spent 6 weeks staying on aires last year, all safe no problem, but would not recommend staying on motorway aires at all. Our route took us down the Eastern side of France bordering Germany, Switzerland and Austria, it was really great scenery all the way. We used N roads and took our time. Around 3pm looked for somewhere to stay, worked well and took our time. Have you joined "France passion" ? We used them a lot and liked most of them, one or two a bit scabby.
Take it easy
gillnphil

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
For balance, Weve been to Croatia three times and are probbly returning next year. We go across Germany, then Austria Italy Slovenia and Croatia, in France for no time at all so aires can be forgotten. I would like to point out that we stayed on motorway aires in France this sunner with no problems.

When taking a convoy out there, we do UK to Luxembourg fo an overnight and to pick up cheap,ish diesel, then across Germany to Austria or another nights stay, then into Croatia arriving on the Istrian pennisular around teatime.

May its starts to get warmer, early June isnice, but predicting the weather anywhere in the world is getting harder.:thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I was in Croatia in April many years ago, so long ago it was called Yugoslavia. April was warm enough in direct sunlight with cooler evenings. The sea was colder than the Atlantic at that time of year. According to many Weather sites that is regularly the case.

Flowers were magnificent at that time of year, I would imagine that March would be a little chillier but you just can't say..........Griff
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back