Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Whilst I agree there are borders between Croatia & Slovenia and there are border posts, I was not aware that Italy & Croatia shared a border?
They don’t have a land border, but there are ferries between the two, used to be no border controls Italy to Croatia but there were the other way (be aware this is old information)

Novi Vinodolski, is lovely and wild camping not an issue

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I was not aware that Italy & Croatia shared a border?
Your correct of course.
I should have said no border checks between Italy & Slovenia, and Slovenia & Croatia.
There are non on the motorway and those on the smaller roads are no longer in use, or at least the ones I passed wern`t in use so I`m not sure spending time in Croatia will get anyone around the schengen zone requirements.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Ok. Here goes. Let's say in the last 180 days you have been in the Schengen area for 90 days. Your time is up, your holiday is over.

You go into Croatia. After 24 hours you have had another days holiday but as well as that you have now only spent 89 days in the last 180 in the Schengen area.

After another 24 hrs in Croatia you have now had 92 days holiday but only spent 88 days in the last 180 in the Schengen area. If you stay in Croatia for 90 days you will have spent 0 days in the last 180 and you can go back to Schengen area for 90 days. I.e internal holiday😃😃

Sorry I think you have that wrong.

Let's look at the 180 days fron 1 to 180.

At the time you entered Croatia the 90 days you had just spent in Schengen were the days 91 to 180 when one counts back 180 days..

Yes days in Croatia will start to drop off the 180, but the first 4 days will drop the original days 1 to 4 of the 180 not days 91 to 94, which will still be within the last 180 days which are now days 5 to 185 on the original count, so include all days 90 to 180.

Only after 90 days in Croatia, or another non-Schengen country, will the original days 91 onwards start dropping off.

So you have to stay out 90 days if you had already had the full 90 days in Schengen.

Of course if you had spent only 80 in Schengen then after a month in Croatia you would still have 10 days to get back through Schengen to UK.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Your correct of course.
I should have said no border checks between Italy & Slovenia, and Slovenia & Croatia.
There are non on the motorway and those on the smaller roads are no longer in use, or at least the ones I passed wern`t in use so I`m not sure spending time in Croatia will get anyone around the schengen zone requirements.
So the ones we passed through last Autumn no longer exist? Having been held up for over an hour when travelling South from Slovenia into the Istrian peninsula,Croatia, I can assure there was definitely a border post, with police checks.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Your correct of course.
This site has a list of some of the non-existing border crossings.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

At the time you entered Croatia the 90 days you had just spent in Schengen were the days 91 to 180 when one counts back 180 days..

Yes days in Croatia will start to drop off the 180, but the first 4 days will drop the original days 1 to 4 of the 180 not days 91 to 94, which will still be within the last 180 days which are now days 5 to 185 on the original count, so include all days 90 to 180.

Only after 90 days in Croatia, or another non-Schengen country, will the original days 91 onwards start dropping off.

So you have to stay out 90 days if you had already had the full 90 days in Schengen.

Of course if you had spent only 80 in Schengen then after a month in Croatia you would still have 10 days to get back through Schengen to UK.

Geoff
Dokładnie! (That should mean 'Exactly!' so blame Google translate if it's rude! :LOL:

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Been to Croatia and the former Jugoslavia loads of times. Lots of people just go to the Istrian peninsula which is really nice. However I would always suggest going to the Makarska Riviera, absolutely gorgeous. Lots of nice places to visit on the way down there.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years

Geoff
Hi Geoff. Yes you are right. Must have had brain freeze. You have 90 days in Schengen until you have rolled 90 days forward. It seems obvious to me now. :think::think:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
For those who clicked on wanting to see stuff about Croatia

senj.jpg

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Croatia is a fabulous place and the islands are beautiful. They are currently not full members of the schengen agreement but my understanding is that they, along with Bulgaria and Romania, have signed up to it and are committed to become full members in the near future 🙁. Not good news unfortunately for those planning to travel for several months.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Croatia is a fabulous place and the islands are beautiful. They are currently not full members of the schengen agreement but my understanding is that they, along with Bulgaria and Romania, have signed up to it and are committed to become full members in the near future 🙁. Not good news unfortunately for those planning to travel for several months.
Better enjoy it while we can. I think it will take Croatia some time to get into Schengen though, if ever. This is because their near (and more prosperous neighbours) don't want an open border.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Croatia is a beautiful country, the coastline is breathtaking with plenty parking along the way. The Plitvice Lakes are a must, get there early ( dedicated mh parking ) and catch the bus to the top and walk down, it's easier and you will miss the crowds. Not sure about wild camping, my visit was by motorcycle in 2019.

Nomad Plan

Free Member
Aug 28, 2020
Now full timing on the continent
Funster No
MH
2007 AT Cheiftain
Exp
I'm a newbie
As a complete novice and motorhome owner for all of 1 week, I have been struggling with this impending issue as we want to spend a minimum of 5/6 months avoiding British winters down nearer the Med. Now I maybe wrong but I interpreted the rules to mean no matter how long (less than 90 days that is) once you leave the Schengen zone, you cannot return for 90 days.... I would be grateful for clarification please. It could be really helpful if gpat's explanation is correct as a fixed maximum of 3 months in 3 months out is a real bind.

Indeed my solution had been to enter Schengen on day 1, leave on day 90 and spend time in Croatia along with the other countries in the Balkans, which include Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Romania, Serbia and Slovenia till day 180 before heading further south into Greece and then possibly Turkey.

Indeed I would be grateful for any advice on our really sketchy nomad plan!

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
As a complete novice and motorhome owner for all of 1 week, I have been struggling with this impending issue as we want to spend a minimum of 5/6 months avoiding British winters down nearer the Med. Now I maybe wrong but I interpreted the rules to mean no matter how long (less than 90 days that is) once you leave the Schengen zone, you cannot return for 90 days.... I would be grateful for clarification please. It could be really helpful if gpat's explanation is correct as a fixed maximum of 3 months in 3 months out is a real bind.

Indeed my solution had been to enter Schengen on day 1, leave on day 90 and spend time in Croatia along with the other countries in the Balkans, which include Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Romania, Serbia and Slovenia till day 180 before heading further south into Greece and then possibly Turkey.

A little tweak to your plan - Slovenia is part of schegen

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

gpat's explanation in post #19 was incorrect, as he admitted in post #38 and that my explanation in #33 is correct, i.e. once 90 days in Schengen has been used one has to stay out for the next 90 days to reset the clock.

Geoff

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
So why did we have to queue for 20 min at the boarder control then?
I can only speak from experience in 2018 and 2019. Both times drove through Slovenia and into Croatia without any check at the border, first time on the motorway second time on a minor road. Same going back the other way.
Maybe things have changed 🤷‍♂️

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
gpat's explanation in post #19 was incorrect, as he admitted in post #38 and that my explanation in #33 is correct, i.e. once 90 days in Schengen has been used one has to stay out for the next 90 days to reset the clock.

Geoff
Whilst accepting my explanation was wrong:rolleyes:, I was thinking that some folks think that you always need 180 days to reset the 90 and that you can't gp back into Europe for 6 months. Geoff has correctly explained this for the example we had. However if the example had said that the 90 days was the first 90 days of the 180 (rather then the last 90 days of the 180) then you are free to travel through Schengen zone on the 181st day. This basically means you can go for 3 months off and 3 months off all year around

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
There is no border control between Slovenia or Italy and Croatia, so how would they know ?
There was last time I went through from Slovenia on the Harley, I even got a nice stamp in my passport from the border control people👍
This thread has got me looking more forward to my Croatia trip next June👍👍👍

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013

There's an app for android called '90days schengen' which may help, it calculates how many days you need to be out of the schengen as your journey progresses. There might be other similar apps available

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ok. Here goes. Let's say in the last 180 days you have been in the Schengen area for 90 days. Your time is up, your holiday is over.

You go into Croatia. After 24 hours you have had another days holiday but as well as that you have now only spent 89 days in the last 180 in the Schengen area.

After another 24 hrs in Croatia you have now had 92 days holiday but only spent 88 days in the last 180 in the Schengen area. If you stay in Croatia for 90 days you will have spent 0 days in the last 180 and you can go back to Schengen area for 90 days. I.e internal holiday😃😃
Actually that's not correct
If you have spent 90 days in shengen going in to croatia for 24 hours does not mean you've spent 89 days in shengen....you've still spent 90 in the last 180
But yes If you then spend 90 days in croatia you can then spend the next 90 back in shengen.

But if you only stay 30 in croatia you cannot enter shengen as you would have overstayed.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Been thinking about this.......
How would they know you left schengen zone to spend say a month in Croatia ?
Get back to Calais and they might claim you overstayed ?
How could you prove otherwise ?
Keep receipts from camp sites,,take photos in front of well known sites,,shop receipts,,, BUSBY.

OP
OP
B
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Taken from the visit Croatia website

One very important thing to point out – the border crossings into Croatia, especially those near or en route to the coast, can be very busy during the peak summer season (July and August). If you’re travelling during these months, try to avoid driving through the border on the weekend (Friday to Sunday) when many other holidaymakers are trying to do the same. You’ll more than likely get caught up in a queue for several hours.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Nomad Plan I like your idea of an extended tour, but I know I couldn't do that far. However, one other thing to consider is your house insurance, usually only covers 60 days away.

This has been an interesting thread - Croatia is on the wish list. Thanks everyone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back