Croatia (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If and when its safe for ourselves and others, thinking about a trip to Croatia? Never been so any info great, am I correct in Croatia is not in the Schengen zone and would not count for the 90/180 days, other than the time its takes to get there and back.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Its not in schengen zone, but I'm not sure if that will help unless you want to spend 6 months there ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its not in schengen zone, but I'm not sure if that will help unless you want to spend 6 months there ?
My understanding that the time spent there doesn't count towards the 90 days in 180 in Schengen zones, so in effect they could spend the 90 days in Schengen zones and break it up with some time in Croatia it would give them a longer overall holiday.

As for Croatia itself, yes it's a lovely country but check the situation about wild camping as I think it's not really permitted but we had no issues doing it.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thats useful to know 👍🏻
I found a lot of the wild camping places in Croatia were, well, not really where we wanted to be and some were rather un-appealing and litter strewn.
But I'm sure there are lots that are good.
Can't wait to get back, when allowed

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
My understanding that the time spent there doesn't count towards the 90 days in 180 in Schengen zones, so in effect they could spend the 90 days in Schengen zones and break it up with some time in Croatia it would give them a longer overall holiday.
Been thinking about this.......
How would they know you left schengen zone to spend say a month in Croatia ?
Get back to Calais and they might claim you overstayed ?
How could you prove otherwise ?

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Have been a few times. It is a lovely country and the people are friendly; English is widely spoken. In fact reading the advertising boards as you enter resorts on the coast, you might think you are entering Bournemouth.

Not in Schengen area and, I think, from next year as non EU citizens we will only be allowed to cross at certain points. A Google search should bring up the info. Also, they do not use the Euro.

Some interesting old villages in Istria in the North. We particularly liked Hum. Pula has a Roman amphitheatre.

Two National parks that are worth visiting are Plitlivce Lakes and Krka.

Wild camping is not allowed and there are not many aire type stopovers but plenty of campsite.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Been thinking about this.......
How would they know you left schengen zone to spend say a month in Croatia ?
Get back to Calais and they might claim you overstayed ?
How could you prove otherwise ?
Passport controls on both sides of the border, entering and leaving even for EU citizens. Maybe they will stamp passports?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Passport controls on both sides of the border, entering and leaving even for EU citizens. Maybe they will stamp passports?
Yup, even on the smaller roads they have border control.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Haha. I don't think you are understanding how it works. The 90 days in any 180 is rolling and cumulative. So days in Croatia don't count towards your 90 but also because its rolling are like football 6 pointers.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
They don't need to stamp passports. Your passport will be scanned when you enter or leave the schengen area so they know exactly how many days you have spent I it

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
If not just take a dated photo of arriving and leaving through the border post.
That wont help you at all. They know by scanning your passport and I am sure that trying to prove otherwise, whatever your evidence will not help

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I used to have a place on Brac, easy to get to many of the islands by taking the regular ferries from Split. Just don't expect sand on the beaches :giggle:

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Last time I was in Croatia, I asked for secure parking for my motorbike at the hotel - they obliged 🙂

DSC01148.JPG

There may be another story about speeding across a bridge and then being stopped on the border as I went back to Slovenia - but I think that would be a bit too much for this forum.....

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That wont help you at all. They know by scanning your passport and I am sure that trying to prove otherwise, whatever your evidence will not help
There is no border control between Slovenia or Italy and Croatia, so how would they know ?

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I don`t understand your comparison ?
Ok. Here goes. Let's say in the last 180 days you have been in the Schengen area for 90 days. Your time is up, your holiday is over.

You go into Croatia. After 24 hours you have had another days holiday but as well as that you have now only spent 89 days in the last 180 in the Schengen area.

After another 24 hrs in Croatia you have now had 92 days holiday but only spent 88 days in the last 180 in the Schengen area. If you stay in Croatia for 90 days you will have spent 0 days in the last 180 and you can go back to Schengen area for 90 days. I.e internal holiday😃😃

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
There is no border control between Slovenia or Italy and Croatia, so how would they know ?
That doesn't make sense. The Schengen area is borderless within it. If you go out of it, by definition there must be a border. Just because they don't insist on checking doesn't mean there is no border. I guess you would have to stop and ask for your passport scanning.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
That doesn't make sense. The Schengen area is borderless within it. If you go out of it, by definition there must be a border. Just because they don't insist on checking doesn't mean there is no border. I guess you would have to stop and ask for your passport scanning.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you stay in Croatia for 90 days you will have spent 0 days in the last 180 and you can go back to Schengen area for 90 days. I.e internal holiday😃😃
When you get back to Calais I think French immigration officers might take some convincing that you have been outside Schengen zone

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
We'll have to take your word for that. Two countries that hate it other and with Slovenia trying to stop migrants coming from Croatia. I haven't been across that border for a long time. I respect your information although it sounds incredible.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
There aren`t any on border between Slovenia and Italy with Croatia
Sorry, there are borders between Slovenia and Croatia and between Italy and Croatia, have gone through them several times, last time in 2019, with customs and police on both sides. We stayed on a site on the river that formed the border and there is a 2m high fence on the Slovenian side. The site owner could unlock the gates so that visitors could get to the river. I suppose you could avoid the border controls by swimming across!

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry, there are borders between Slovenia and Croatia and between Italy and Croatia, have gone through them several times, last time in 2019, with customs and police on both sides. We stayed on a site on the river that formed the border and there is a 2m high fence on the Slovenian side. The site owner could unlock the gates so that visitors could get to the river. I suppose you could avoid the border controls by swimming across!

Whilst I agree there are borders between Croatia & Slovenia and there are border posts, I was not aware that Italy & Croatia shared a border?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back