Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Hi
We are hoping to head for Croatia at the end of the month, we are over 3.5t. We have plenty of time, can it be done toll free especially Austria and the dreaded gobox? You hear the horror tales of people inadvertently ending up on motorways and getting fined even though they had set their satnav toll free or, is it worth getting the box just in case you end up on the motorway?
Really think I might stick to France and Spain this is supposed to be a holiday.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I drove through Austria on the way back from Croatia and Slovenia and we're over 3.5. No problem and no weight restriction signs.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Last month spent 2mths around Austria, Slovenia and Croatia and the only €8 I spent was a vignette to go into Vienna and I’m sure I didn’t need one either..(n)

Set satnav to non tolls and enjoy the real countries you visit.... not trolling around motorways.....(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes it can be done without a problem, watch out if you go anywhere near Switzerland though!

mophead

Free Member
Feb 28, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Citroen based Nu Venture
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi - thinking of doing a trip to Slovenia and Croatia next year so any advice on routes/campsites and other hints n tips would be very helpful & most welcome please...

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Did this 2 years ago, drove through Austria and never paid any tolls ,used no motorways and really enjoyed all the beautiful countryside and met some wonderful people too !!

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Hi - thinking of doing a trip to Slovenia and Croatia next year so any advice on routes/campsites and other hints n tips would be very helpful & most welcome please...
We're there at the moment - our experience would make me advise getting through through Slovenia quickly, the sites are generaly appalling.I think next time we'll go via Trieste and just take the short road. Croatia is a diferent story, beautiful country, many sites of variable quality but mostly OK. Don't miss the islands though, Krk is great, look for Camping Felix in Krk, it's very close the old town, small and intimate and the host is a hoot..
Currently on Hvar on a site near Jelsa overlooking a deserted bay and again a short walk to the old town.
Croatia tends to be a little more expensive and has many (hundreds..) of biker visitors but for all that is great. I worried abut the Bosnia crossing to get to Dubrovnik, the border guards just waved us in and out again when the time came.
Our route took us through Belgium, a small bit of Luxembourg for the cheap fuel (well worth the detour...) then Austria, not as bad as reported, Northern Italy and Slovenia. Coming back through Italy and France to get used to the colder weather.
My best advise would be not to overthink it and just bumble around - you'd be surprised whats just around the next corner..

mophead

Free Member
Feb 28, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Citroen based Nu Venture
Exp
I'm a newbie
Albeit very late - thankyou so much for your reply.... Digglydog & Figaro

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
I'm surprised to read that about Slovenia, I found the sites ok, some were a little quirky but camping Soca was excellent. Complete with WW1 artefacts.
I can't wait to go back......

I will second that.....we loved Slovenia last year.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Currently on Hvar on a site near Jelsa overlooking a deserted bay and again a short walk to the old town
May I ask which ferry you took and cost ?
On a very brief search of hvar ferries I only found passenger crossings.
Planning for 2019 b#@£&t allowing !

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I mean pedestrian crossings
I'm sure there are vehicle ferries, I'll look over the weekend

D

Deleted member

Deleted User
Travelled through Slovenia this year and agree that the roads and sites are absolutely fine. Lake Bled and Ljubljana are must do visits. Local wine is yuk and local cuisine isn’t too good either, but that’s the case with most places outside of France & Italy.
We plan to return, definitely more expensive than Croatia especially with the weak GBP v EUR.

D

Deleted member

Deleted User
We got talking to a Slovenian guy who owned a permanent caravan on a Croatian coastal site where he spent a lot of time. We asked him the same question... apparently it’s usually quite cold in winter, can be very wet, but you can get lucky and get a spell of relatively warm, settled weather.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
May I ask which ferry you took and cost ?
On a very brief search of hvar ferries I only found passenger crossings.
Planning for 2019 b#@£&t allowing !
We used this company to get the ferry to Hvar from mainland Croatia (can't remember where exactly) but it was an easy process, just turn up and purchase your ticket. Our van is over 3.5 tonnes

https://www.jadrolinija.hr/en/ferry-croatia

Looking at the map we got the ferry from Drvenik to Sucuraj then drove to Hvar, staying at Camp Vira

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
I'm surprised to read that about Slovenia, I found the sites ok, some were a little quirky but camping Soca was excellent. Complete with WW1 artefacts.
I can't wait to go back......
Endorse the above. Cannot wait to go back to Slovenia. Loved the people and Ljubljana in particular.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Hi
We are hoping to head for Croatia at the end of the month, we are over 3.5t. We have plenty of time, can it be done toll free especially Austria and the dreaded gobox? You hear the horror tales of people inadvertently ending up on motorways and getting fined even though they had set their satnav toll free or, is it worth getting the box just in case you end up on the motorway?
Really think I might stick to France and Spain this is supposed to be a holiday.
This situation happened to us 3 years ago. The Austrian police closed a B road and sent us onto the motorway for 7 Km,s. At the border they pulled us over and fined us 300 euros. There were others too. I protested vehemently and the bastards laughed in our faces.
They can keep their poxy country as far as I’m concerned.
Croatia is a different matter. You can use the coast road if not in a hurry. It’s beautiful and there are many campsites. Wild camping is not really allowed but the campsites are good and cheap. Worth having ACSI. Take a look round Ston, a medieval town not visited much.
Phil

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Go Box is complicated and can be expensive we are 3.8 t , around e 90 plus about 40c per KLM if i remember right ...... That is a lot of diesel ..

We set sat nav to no tolls ,

Stayed at Canterbury over night then , Dover Dunkirk £46 silly o'clock but no traffic , Munic Germany , Innsbruck Austria , Brennan Pass non toll , Lake Garda, , Venice Italy ( good campsite just outside e3 bus ride into Venice ) , Triest to Croatia , then the coast road down to Split , our insurance Safegaurd wont cover Bosnia or Turkey , so no Dubrovnik !! . Instead we did the water parks / lakes ( N E Croatia ) .

Made our way back through Slovenia campsites ok but they charge loads of taxes , bin emptying , tourist tax etc , much prefer Croatia ..

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Don’t rush through Slovenia as most do .It’s a great country top to bottom and very MH friendly .
Most folk seem to do Lake Bled and call it a day , that’s the place I would avoid to be honest. Go to Lake Bohinj instead , much nicer , much quieter , much much much cheaper.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes it can be done without a problem, watch out if you go anywhere near Switzerland though!
Switzerland is probably the easiest and cheapest for over 3500kg. Just download their Via app and you can do everything on line including paying. 32sf for any 10 days in the next 365 days covers using all motorways and tunnels.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
A toll free route through Austria is down the Fern Pass from Fussen in Germany and up the Old Brenner Pass from Innsbruck into Italy. The latter is closed to trucks and caravans but not to motorhomes and is of "A" road quality. Check this out on Google Maps by getting directions from Fussen to Brenner and clicking avoid tolls in the options.
Ezee

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back