Free Member
Apr 21, 2016
Bracknell, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Reading between the lines it would appear that the jolly old french have or are in the process of introducing this Low emission zone malarky in and around some of the major cities in France, and as of the middle of this year should anyone contemplate even thinking of driving one of these dirty smelly polluting diesel powered vehicles in or around these towns then they are likely to be dragged from their cabs and beaten to within an inch of their lives by the biggest Gendarme for doing so (rich coming from the country that as probably been at the forefront of the diesel engine charge for the last 30yrs) eh ho

Anyway back to the question, feeling that the good lady and oneself may wish to travel through some of these abominable cities later this year i feel it only just that I purchase one of these Crit@air stickers, having been onto the official french website to apply for such just sticker I find myself at a loss with some of the information that they are requesting, mainly vehicle type ie M1 N1 N2 and so on and the good old favorite emission levels, now knowing that M/H are a bit of a grey area and with regards to log books and serious lack of information to be gleaned there. Seriously a piece of blank A4 paper contains more information than my log book.

So are their any members on here who have already been down this route and can offer some words of wisdom as to how the hell one gets all this info, I believe my vehicle is a class 5 euro emissions being that it was first registered in March 2013

Fiat 2300cc
150 bhp with comfortmatic gearbox, over to you guys (y)(y)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
It is Annex II of EC Directive 70/156 that categorises vehicles thus:

Category M – motor vehicles with at least 4 wheels used for the carriage of passengers:

· M1 – vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and comprising no more than 8 passenger seats in addition to the driver

· M2 - vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and having more than 8 seats but not exceeding 5 tonnes

· M3 - vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and having more than 8 seats and maximum mass exceeding 5 tonnes

Category N – motor vehicles with at least 4 wheels used for the carriage of goods:

· N1 – vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum mass not exceeding 3.5 tonnes

· N2 - vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum mass exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 12 tonnes

· N3 - vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum mass exceeding 12 tonnes

Category O – trailers including semi-trailers

· O1 – trailers with a maximum mass not exceeding 750 kgs

· O2 - trailers with a maximum mass exceeding 750 kgs but not exceeding 3.5 tonnes

· O3 - trailers with a maximum mass exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 10 tonnes

· O4 - trailers with a maximum mass exceeding 10 tonnes

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Just done mine last week ticked light goods upto 3500 kg filled in the Reg and make, put Euro 5 in for emmisions attached copy of reg doc.
Within 2 days I have recived the pdf certificate Yellow sticker class 2 by email and notification the windscreen sticker is in the post.
2016 Benimar on a Fiat 150 bhp manual chassis I don't remember being asked to enter any class type.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I didn't know my emissions so I just left it blank, they worked it out from the copy of the V5 and the age of the vehicle and have sent the appropriate sticker (it is Euro4 so gets a number 3). The most difficult bit is trying to get the image of the V5 (just the second page required) down to less than 200Kb which is the biggest they can take.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
MH V5 forms don't usually state CO2 emissions, which is a good thing from a vehicle taxation point of view. It's because they're converted vehicles so the emissions aren't necessarily the same as for the base vehicle on its own.

European schemes are based on Euro standards for emissions which can usually be worked out by year of manufacture.

It's highly likely this scheme will be extended once it's in place, and could easily be changed to zoning within cities, as with the German Umwelt stickers, where certain sticker colours can't go into certain urban zones.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Vehicle type for over 3500 kg is truck. :mad: Even though it is euro 5+ and first reg in Dec 15 disappointed to be be a lowly cat 3:(
PDF notification after 2 days and confirmation sticker inbound. The hardest thing was getting the copy of the v5 to the right size. :rolleyes:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If a document is going to be read on a monitor screen, scanning at 100 dpi is usually sufficient.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just a thought to consider before you apply.

After I had applied for my sticker, thinking I might need to stray into the edge of one of these zones going round a city, I was given food for thought by a fellow motorhomer who lives in France.

At the moment, if you get flashed by a speed camera (easy to do if you stray a bit over the limit, particularly if over 3500kg) you will most likely get away with it, as the DVLA don't share details with the French.
Once the French have your V5 details who knows who those details will be shared with.
Too late for me now as the sticker has been issued and will be waiting on the doormat when we get home.
I have been extra cautious while driving through France on this trip.

Richard.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Vehicle type for over 3500 kg is truck. :mad: Even though it is euro 5+ and first reg in Dec 15 disappointed to be be a lowly cat 3:(
PDF notification after 2 days and confirmation sticker inbound. The hardest thing was getting the copy of the v5 to the right size. :rolleyes:
Have had a PDF via email of our sticker and it looks as if we are cat 2.
We are 4500kg Euro5 registered in March 2015.

Richard.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I think all motorhomes/RV's irrespective of weight are M1 special purpose vehicles, so M1 is the category.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Have had a PDF via email of our sticker and it looks as if we are cat 2.
We are 4500kg Euro5 registered in March 2015.

Richard.
I don't know if is going to make any odds really, but if it does I wouldn't have a clue how to query it. Maybe just avoid towns, but Strasbourg is the only town I intend to "hit".

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Mines got a petrol engine. So, I shall not fill in anything :)

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I am the same over 3500 euro 5 engine first reg Nov 2013, CAT 3? emailed to say they have got it wrong but won't hold my breath.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I am the same over 3500 euro 5 engine first reg Nov 2013, CAT 3? emailed to say they have got it wrong but won't hold my breath.
I will wait out for your reply. It seems from the site that there is a big gap between cat 3 and 2 so they just give away cat 3. @Clarky did you tell them vehicle cat was truck or car?

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
On filling in the form, only Category M1 seemed to apply as no goods involved and under 3.5 tons. 2009 3l engine, the chart indicated that this would be Category 3. Filled it in Friday night and the pdf arrived this morning, category 3. I've never gone anywhere near a city centre, well, other than Rouen with roadworks, diversions and underpasses and it took weeks of therapy to get over it.
I haven't seen the obvious question, so you go out and buy a new registration plate ....FUN 1 for example, do you re-apply or just since the vin is the same - wing it.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I will wait out for your reply. It seems from the site that there is a big gap between cat 3 and 2 so they just give away cat 3. [B]@Clarky[/B] did you tell them vehicle cat was truck or car?
Good point.
I think when I looked at the categories on the application site there was nothing between car and Goods/HGV. Like others, as there are no goods involved I opted for 'car' and hoped for the best, half expecting them to throw the application out.
Seems that I might have made the correct choice. :D

Richard.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Good point.
I think when I looked at the categories on the application site there was nothing between car and Goods/HGV. Like others, as there are no goods involved I opted for 'car' and hoped for the best, half expecting them to throw the application out.
Seems that I might have made the correct choice. :D

Richard.
Fair one. But on the web site there is a Note specifically for Motorhomes.
https://www.crit-air.fr/en/informat...itair/who-will-get-which-critair-colours.html

As before, I don't think this will affect me too much any how as long as I can get into Strasburg, I will avoid most towns anyway.;)

OP
OP
Arewethereyet

Arewethereyet

Free Member
Apr 21, 2016
Bracknell, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Ok update on Colour allocation, it would appear that after receiving our approval we are a class 2 yellow sticker

Euro 5, 3850kg, first reg March 2013, yet according to their own website we should be a class 3.

It's a French thing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Ok update on Colour allocation, it would appear that after receiving our approval we are a class 2 yellow sticker

Euro 5, 3850kg, first reg March 2013, yet according to their own website we should be a class 3.

It's a French thing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have Crit'air Sticker envy now..:(

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Do you need to get a new one of these each year ? or do they last for years ??

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Received my sticker over the weekend. As expected cat 3.(n) I did e-mail them as @Kevan did, but no reply. They may not now as I have the sticker.:(

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Received my sticker over the weekend. As expected cat 3.(n) I did e-mail them as @Kevan did, but no reply. They may not now as I have the sticker.:(
I have not heard yet, but i have checked, and because i have a disabled badge i don't think i need it, we will see,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back