Crit Aire Scheme .. The rumour mill (1 Viewer)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Well we had just arrived at an Aire north of Bordeaux when a guy walks over waiving a piece of paper. Turns out that he had not seen our Crit Aire sticker and did we know we needed one.

I replied that we only needed one if we were going to the 4 cities that are mentioned. I should have kept my trap shut and just nodded.

You certainly do need one was the reply.

He then continued ...

Do you realise the French Police are targeting U.K. Vehicles. They are stopping them around the port area and asking them where they are going. If they say Paris or the other three towns then it's an INSTANT on the spot fine and you cannot change your mind once you have said it because they write down your first choice.

The next part was even more funny.

Did you know that ANY MAYOR can declare a clean air zone giving only 24 hours notice. That means if you are in the village then you cannot leave otherwise they can give you an ON THE SPOT FINE as soon as you move.

He then left with his bit of paper muttering something about the French finding a way to Tax BRITISH DRIVERS ..

So now you know the rumour mill has started.

We did notice on the way down that some lorries have a Sticker on the front ' V1 ' looks like a vast majority stay away from the cities. The French Police are going to be busy with their on the spot fines.

Are you heading towards Paris in the next year sir ....

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Yeah right....(n) that'll be like telling a copper I'm going down that road and I'm going to speed so give me a fine... :cool:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Been in Paris a couple of times this year and noticed that less than half the cars I saw had the sticker, its only required if driving near the city centre and most people don't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Poor fella, with being away, he's obviously missing his Daily Mail fix. You should have put him out of his misery and told him he can read it online these days and you get a Lady Di tea towel just for subscribing. :whistle:

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We are still laughing about it :)

Deleted User

I am sure being all wise and with your French Princess that you know but I will explain and probably fall into some trap or other.

To the best of my knowledge it is a sticker showing the pollution level of your vehicle, Euro5 etc, necessary for visiting some inner city zones in France, similar to the German Umwelt sticker

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Well we had just arrived at an Aire north of Bordeaux when a guy walks over waiving a piece of paper. Turns out that he had not seen our Crit Aire sticker and did we know we needed one.

I replied that we only needed one if we were going to the 4 cities that are mentioned. I should have kept my trap shut and just nodded.

He then continued ...

Do you realise the French Police are targeting U.K. Vehicles. They are stopping them around the port area and asking them where they are going. If they say Paris or the other three towns then it's an INSTANT on the spot fine and you cannot change your mind once you have said it because they write down your first choice.

Did you know that ANY MAYOR can declare a clean air zone giving only 24 hours notice. That means if you are in the village then you cannot leave otherwise they can give you an ON THE SPOT FINE as soon as you move.

He then left with his bit of paper muttering something about the French finding a way to Tax BRITISH DRIVERS ..

We did notice on the way down that some lorries have a Sticker on the front ' V1 ' looks like a vast majority stay away from the cities. The French Police are going to be busy with their on the spot fines.

Well the £4 I paid for mine seems like money well spent to avoid this kind of rubbish!

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Well the £4 I paid for mine seems like money well spent to avoid this kind of rubbish!

French have now decided that they are only valid for 1 month and you must re-apply before the old one runs out. If you let the old one expire then they will fine you €200 even if you don't have your vehicle anymore.

::bigsmile:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
French have now decided that they are only valid for 1 month and you must re-apply before the old one runs out. If you let the old one expire then they will fine you €200 even if you don't have your vehicle anymore.

::bigsmile:
Even if you've no intention of going to France and even if you haven't got a vehicle. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I ordered my sticker 11 days ago and I got a confirmation email but to date I have not recieved it.

John.
I think you'll find that you now owe the French 200 Euro in fines for not displaying the sticker once purchased :france:

Mine took about 3 weeks to come through

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
U.K. Have now decided that a STICKER is required to use a MH for sleeping in overnight. Cost of STICKER is £10 per night. PM QFour to get yours stating number of nights required. Card and PayPal excepted please give details in PM.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Joking aside, if it's already in 4 cities, there's very little to stop it being rolled out elsewhere in France. I think Germany's up to 80+ cities with the Umwelt system, and they had to start somewhere.

Anyway, I've already got one so I don't need to listen to rumours :)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
There are so many different laws in France even the French can't keep pace with them. A few years back we built a new house and wanted to paint it a different color to the other houses in the village. ( Each village has its own color) We asked the Mayor if we could paint it white. He said it was nothing to do with him, it was the environment agency. We contacted them, they said it was nothing to do with them, we should contact the Mayor. We told them we had and he suggested contacting them. They suggested we contact the road agency. We did, they said it was nothing to do with them we should contact the Mayor. We went back to the Mayor and told him everyone suggested it was him we had to contact. He replied " Paint it whatever color you like" so we painted it white. That was ten years ago.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

He then continued ...

Easily explained, he must have been the guy who was gassed on a motorway aire where he had stopped for a cuppa and dozed off and was then fined for not having an alcohol test kit when he called the gendarmes. It was probably the same guy who was refused GPL at every service station along his route and was always refused service in restaurants because he couldn't speak French and who's debit and credit cards were never accepted anywhere.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Even if you've no intention of going to France and even if you haven't got a vehicle. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
You joke but ask the Mayor of London how much they charge you if you do not pay their fee of £200 and go in with a non compliant vehicle. They do not tell you it is up to you to KNOW.
The answer to the quiz question is £500 for a sub 3500kg and £1000 for all over that point.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You joke but ask the Mayor of London how much they charge you if you do not pay their fee of £200 and go in with a non compliant vehicle. They do not tell you it is up to you to KNOW.
The answer to the quiz question is £500 for a sub 3500kg and £1000 for all over that point.
It's true, you have to know. Ignorance is no defence.. There are signs outside the LEZ anyway.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes. I be been in France for past couple of weeks and have yet to see an actual one. I've been looking out for them when I think about it a d in the end googled it so I could see what they look like.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Easily explained, he must have been the guy who was gassed on a motorway aire where he had stopped for a cuppa and dozed off and was then fined for not having an alcohol test kit when he called the gendarmes. It was probably the same guy who was refused GPL at every service station along his route and was always refused service in restaurants because he couldn't speak French and who's debit and credit cards were never accepted anywhere.

PERFECTLY summed up :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back