Crit Air (1 Viewer)

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
We visited a large MH dealer in Poitiers and he had never heard of Crit' Air. He phoned his colleague and between them all they could come up with was the exemption that MHs have regards the annual pollution tests. Goods vehicles like my little Blingo van are required to have an interim emissions test as well as the bi-annual one with the Controle Technique. Camping cars don't have that obligation.

Given that these pollution zones are popping up like weeds in France we found that very strange.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Had caravans for 27 years. Motorhomers now for 3 years
Ours arrived in just over a week. Could do with an old tax disc holder to keep it in as once it's on the windscreen it's on and stuck for good. Other than that will laminate it.

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Had caravans for 27 years. Motorhomers now for 3 years
Glad you got your sticker. Won't be looking over your shoulder for the police. Worth the few euros for peace of mind. Where you off to and for how long. Have a good trip. We're off in a couple of months as well. Been planning our route.
ENJOY.
:sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun:

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
Ours arrived in just over a week. Could do with an old tax disc holder to keep it in as once it's on the windscreen it's on and stuck for good. Other than that will laminate it.
Use the plastic screens you get with iPads etc Work well

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We are off to France next month so I was looking at the crit air website. I gather there are 2 types of zone, 1 is permanent, the other is weather dependent and can be imposed at 24 hours notice! (See text copied below). The area of Gironde around Bordeaux is listed as the second type. Even if we have a crit air sticker how will we know if we are allowed in the zone if it can be applied at such short notice?

The additional ZPA zones (weather-depending environmental zones), which are set up in bigger cities and metropolitan areas, request special attention from the local and European commercial and touristic transport, as the status of these environmental zones – contrary to the permanent ZCR zones – can change within 24 hours and circulation restrictions can be set for Crit’Air badges that are usually authorised to enter the zone.

When these restrictions are ignored, important fines can be imposed or in a worst-case scenario, the vehicle can even be stopped and detained.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have downloaded the Green Zones app for iOS. You can enter the dates you want to travel in the appropriate zones and it will tell you if any restrictions are in force.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
We visited a large MH dealer in Poitiers and he had never heard of Crit' Air. He phoned his colleague and between them all they could come up with was the exemption that MHs have regards the annual pollution tests. Goods vehicles like my little Blingo van are required to have an interim emissions test as well as the bi-annual one with the Controle Technique. Camping cars don't have that obligation.

Given that these pollution zones are popping up like weeds in France we found that very strange.
We haven’t seen any motorhomes in France with stickers.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
I have downloaded the Green Zones app for iOS. You can enter the dates you want to travel in the appropriate zones and it will tell you if any restrictions are in force.
That's all very well, but they can impose the restrictions at 24 hours notice. How do you find out if you are not able to connect to internet every day while touring?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
That's all very well, but they can impose the restrictions at 24 hours notice. How do you find out if you are not able to connect to internet every day while touring?
I guess they will announce it on local radio, in papers and online. Even though the 24 hour figure has been quoted, I think most of the zones take a few days to become active but I don’t think they will be enforced very often.
Like most things, it will be up to you to ensure you are aware of restrictions and getting the app will at least allow you to see where these restrictions might occur if you read through the information on each zone.
But, if you don’t want to risk a fine, you need to ensure you can get online daily, or don’t travel until you can check.
Everybody will be in the same boat.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
www.crit-air.fr is not an official site for information about the zones. It (and the Green Zones app) are operated from Germany by Green-Zones GmbH, a private company which would seem to be one of the market leaders in selling overpriced certificates and stickers. I know you don't need to use them to buy the sticker but it is definitely in their interest to stir the pot. Some people will be taken in and buy from them.

The official French site seems to make no mention of the ZPA zones. The official FAQ in English also says road signs will be set up so that the scheme is clear for all users. If they aren't manually put out on the day (would this be practical with such large areas and so many 'border' crossings), they would have to be electronic and the infrastructure set up in advance. Has anyone seen any of these for the ZPA zones?

Like others, we didn't see any certificates on French vehicles as we drove through this year. We also visited English friends who live in a village only a few miles outside the border of one of the ZPA zones and they knew nothing about the zone. The official site says 9.7m certificates have been issued, whereas a quick Google suggests there are over 32m passenger cars in France (that number doesn't include all the other categories of vehicle to which the certificate applies).

I can't argue with the logic of buying a sticker, especially as the price has come down as of March (should be 3.21€ for a certificate sent to an EU address - best done before next March then!). I suspect there is some way to go before we all need to check an app every time we cross a departmental border into a ZPA or start the engine if already in one, though.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
@tonyl "Like others, we didn't see any certificates on French vehicles as we drove through this year" ... strange I have one on mine and many others do too .... mine is the critair 4 cos mine is an oldy, a car parked at the side of me yesterday had a critair1. They are there but only required for the city centres specified.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back