cree torch (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am not sure if you guys know but Cree is the manufacturer of the LEDs not the torch itself. Now all things being equal. A cheap "Cree based" torch using a single AA battery will produce exactly the same amount of light as an expensive "Cree based" torch using a single AA battery.

The one I linked has a solid Aluminium body, a big chunk of glass for a lense and a Cree LED. I was stunned by the power output and it fits in the front pocket of my jeans. I ended up giving my £30 rechargeable cree based Torch to my Brother In law. That one used an 18650 battery and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference in brightness for my uses. The el Cheapo fits in my jeans pocket which the 18650 one wouldn't. And I was forever forgetting to put it on charge. With the little one I just swap the battery. The only thing I could think of that would make me upgrade is if I needed a fully water proof one.

The Cree website is here.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yes Karl well aware Cree make the leds :xThumb: and if you compare the same torch powered by a AA battery, then with the 14500 rechargeable 3.7v one it is soooo much brighter :xThumb:the same happens with the 3 x AAA ones then stick in the 18650 battery -again (as you know) what is a very bright torch becomes even brighter :xThumb:

What I don't understand properly is the mere fact that the LEDS on some torches will work on 1.5 v yet work on 3.7 v (brighter) then some will only work on 1.5 v -and some only on 3.7v-Hence my warnings on earlier posts of been careful on what you order :xeek:
I bought 10 that only work on the 3/7 v and I still have 3 that I don't yet have batteries and charger to fit :xdoh:These are the small green/red and blue ones :)
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Just to update as a matter of courtesy, I ended up buying the Led Lenser P7.2 on Amazon @ £36.00. It is very compact and fits easily in a pocket, There is obvious quality to the manufacturing and it seems to be made out of top grade Parts. It is VERY bright when on full and even on low power makes my previous three cell magnet look poor. The adjustable focus really is a bonus because it goes from a spot to wide beam just by using one hand so finding a runaway dog on the beach should be easy. All in all a good piece of kit for the motorhome and general use which very much exceeds my expectations.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Glad that you like it. The quality of Lensers is great.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back