Aug 24, 2007
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Extract from American web rvtravel.com

"CREDIT CARD PEACE OF MIND
Here are two simple tips I use to add security to my credit cards.
First, on the signature block on the back, I print "CHECK ID"
Second, I memorize the three digit number at the end of the signature block (You CAN remember three numbers, can't you?) and then I scratch them off the card.
This way I don't have to worry when I surrender my card at a resturant or crafts booth if the clerk is copying more than just the account number, and if my card is ever stolen, the usefullness will be much reduced without that security code"

Any further tips from our readers?
Chris

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Credit Card Tip..

When filling up at the truck Deisel pumps here and abroad you will often be asked to leave a card before you fill up. Truckers are more often than not leaving just a fuel card but Joe Motorhomer often leaves a credit card! Don't leave a valid credit card with them, its too easily cloned. I have an old expired company credit card that I leave, it must be two years out of date now but it has never been spotted. Then when I return after filling up, they pick up the card I left, but then I wave my proper card and swap. Never fails.

Fuels stops are a common place for fraudsters to steal card details. Top Tip. Don't let your card out of your sight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Credit card

Hi

When the signature was the "form of checking", writing in the words "ask me for ID" was a fairly good one, and it was something I used to do. The chip and pin element now means there is no need for the cashier to check.

As for removing the last three digits on the back - good idea in theory if you use the card online etc etc. If you tried to use it in a shop - assuming the chip and pin was not working, there is a strong possibility a cashier would think the card had been purposely defaced by a criminal and could withdraw the card.

Before everyone takes the tip, please check with your bank.

I seem to recall, from when I started using "ask for ID" that there is some legal complication there, as your signature is required on the card.

Russell

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Russell, I deface my cards and removed the last digits. I find it increasingly rare that the retailer actually touches a card these days, never mind look at it. In many places now you place the card in and retrieve it from the reader yourself. :Smile:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Chip n Pin

Very true Jim. I suppose if the retailer does not handle the card, and relies on the PIN only for authorisation, then the retailers responsibility is removed when checking authorisation.

I have worked in a bank and also worked on trains. I used to thoroughly examine all cards - particularly on the trains as people knew that you were not "on line" to verify them.

I still captured a lot of stolen cards though. £50 reward at the time, too!

Every little helps

Russell

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Too many credit cards to memorise the code on the back.

However, in 30 years or so of using credit cards in UK and abroad for all my shopping/eating/purchases in person, telephone and online (rarely use cash) I have only ever had one fraud issue. Barclaycard picked it up before I did and refused the transaction, cancelled the card and informed by text and phone call.

And I don't take any specific precautions other than try not to lose it.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Me and the wife have been cloned a few times over the years and the credit cards company's have always paid for it.
Credit card fraud has never cost us a penny.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
1644775915139_copy_800x632.jpg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thank
Hi Russell, I deface my cards and removed the last digits. I find it increasingly rare that the retailer actually touches a card these days, never mind look at it. In many places now you place the card in and retrieve it from the reader yourself. :Smile:
Even more true now! 😀

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Twice I have been called by the bank telling me about fraud, both times they were very quick finding it and contacting me.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Me and the wife have been cloned a few times over the years and the credit cards company's have always paid for it.
Credit card fraud has never cost us a penny.
Yes it has, we all pay for it !! You will get your money back from the transaction, but that payback is absorbed by all of us, including you, in one way or another!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Waitress at "Ricks CAfe" a supposed must see and do in Jamaica....(but its sh*te really)
took my card to pay for 2 cokes and an orange juice...fine ?
6 weeks later my cc bill had lots of transactions totalling almost £700 if remember, 80 here, 50 there 100 there all for uber eats and deliveroo food etc all in the USA .
Skimmed ! and details sold to a 3rd party

CC company paid it all back and said it is very common, lots of online foodie type companies are very lax at insisting on secure details.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Another trick I learned many years ago - may be common knowledge now - is NEVER use round figures when buying anything E.G. £25, £50 etc. This is how the banks computers tell if fraud may have taken place. Fraudsters often buy phone credit this way. My Visa company quickly got hold of me when it happened and I was able to confirm the fraud and cancel the card.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Yes it has, we all pay for it !! You will get your money back from the transaction, but that payback is absorbed by all of us, including you, in one way or another!
Yep it simply comes out of the outrageous profits they make from all of our purchases.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
How about pay at pump for fuel taking not one pound but one hundred pounds pending for 3 or more days before being returned to your bank. This is just another chor to keep an eye on that we don't need. They are taking the P word.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Chip n Pin

Very true Jim. I suppose if the retailer does not handle the card, and relies on the PIN only for authorisation, then the retailers responsibility is removed when checking authorisation.

I have worked in a bank and also worked on trains. I used to thoroughly examine all cards - particularly on the trains as people knew that you were not "on line" to verify them.

I still captured a lot of stolen cards though. £50 reward at the time, too!

Every little helps

Russell
RPI OR TM ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back