Credit card - no-fee cash withdrawals abroad + Cashback (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hubby just emailed this info to me as he thought this card might be of interest to some funsters as an alternative to the Halifax Clarity card as this one gives cashback. There's no fee to withdraw cash abroad (but 2.99% in UK), however you will, as with other cards, still be charged interest on the cash balance until it's paid:

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-cashback-plus#accordion-content-51-0

Barclaycard Platinum cashback plus gives you cashback on all your everyday spending
With no limit to the amount you can earn. And when you take it abroad, it saves you money too.
  • 0.25% cashback on all your spend until 31 August 2023
  • Bonus. £15 back when you spend £1500 in the first 3 months of opening your account
  • No fees abroad. This means you won’t pay fees on non-sterling purchases and cash withdrawals until 31 August 2023
  • Protection on purchases over £100 so if there’s a problem, you could be covered for a refund – that’s a little feature that comes with every credit card (conditions apply)
  • Exclusive savings on live events with Barclaycard Entertainment

Mar 14, 2016
havant
Funster No
MH
panel van
Exp
since 2002
I looked at this card when Saga told me they were stopping their card on the 29th March, now where have I heard that date before!

As I have a Barclaycard already, it seems I have to cancel that one and I think I am correct in saying you have to wait 6 months before they issue a cash back card, could be wrong as I stopped looking at that stage and took out a Halifax card.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
March 29th? You must have heard about the weekend meet I am running for WildAx Owners' Group members. It will be a good weekend - Brexit on Friday - clocks forward on Saturday/Sunday and it's Mother's Day too (luckily that doesn't affect me!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
I don't want to hijack this thread but as a by I have never withdrawn cash with my Halifax card, we are in Portugal at the moment could someone tell me where to withdraw cash with no charge. Thank you for any help from a friendly Hooligan.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But which one's are they the bank or can I use the one's in the supermarkets.
Any ATM will allow you to draw the money out however some ATM owners may make a charge for using their machine, this isn't anything to do with the card provider so check the machine first as it should tell you if there IS a 'usage' charge.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I don't want to hijack this thread but as a by I have never withdrawn cash with my Halifax card, we are in Portugal at the moment could someone tell me where to withdraw cash with no charge. Thank you for any help from a friendly Hooligan.
Also don't allow the bank ATM to do the conversion from pounds to euros. Works better with the Clarity card anyway. Not sure which Halifax card you're using.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I got a Tandem card last year when they were launched.

No commission on foreign currency credit transactions (not sure about cash withdrawal - never do it).

0.5% cashback on all transactions.

And an impressive app. I'm notified in moments of a transaction with the rate in Sterling as well as the amount in local currency (normally Euro in our case).

Has all worked like clockwork so far. Pay balance by direct debit every month.

However, will look at the Barclaycard, thanks. We already have one of theirs that gives 0.5% cashback, but not commission free foreign currency transactions.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
But which one's are they the bank or can I use the one's in the supermarkets.
It should work in any ATM but some impose their own charge. They do tell you on screen before you complete the transaction so you can decline and retrieve your card.BUSBY.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I got a Tandem card last year when they were launched.

No commission on foreign currency credit transactions (not sure about cash withdrawal - never do it).

0.5% cashback on all transactions.

And an impressive app. I'm notified in moments of a transaction with the rate in Sterling as well as the amount in local currency (normally Euro in our case).

Has all worked like clockwork so far. Pay balance by direct debit every month.

However, will look at the Barclaycard, thanks. We already have one of theirs that gives 0.5% cashback, but not commission free foreign currency transactions.

Not heard of Tandem before ... info here:

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Starling bank . You get a debit card. No currency conversion fees at atms or purchases.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
As has been mentioned, just use any bank ATM to withdraw Euros with Halifax Clarity card. In Portugal I think the maximum allowed is E300 per day( That regulation may have changed). Halifax then give you the interbank Euro rate which is higher than the tourist exchange rate.

The trick is to then credit your CC account immediately via internet banking the Pound equivalent to the amount withdrawn so that you do not incur interest on the cash advance.
So the withdrawal becomes free and you get a slightly better exchange rate

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Starling bank . You get a debit card. No currency conversion fees at atms or purchases.
We have Revolut cards for cash withdrawals, and also a Starling bank account too, but of course you have to remember to put funds in them before hand.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Not heard of Tandem before ... info here:
Thanks for providing the link!

We use the Tandem card exclusively for overseas. And have an Aqua card as a backup now when travelling - which also offers net inter-bank rate and 0.5% cashback.

It was our preferred overseas card for a few years, but the credit limit was rather modest. And didn't receive automatic transaction notifications. So Tandem, which provides much more credit (eg in case of emergencies, such as mechanical breakdown abroad) is our new favourite. :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for providing the link!

We use the Tandem card exclusively for overseas. And have an Aqua card as a backup now when travelling - which also offers net inter-bank rate and 0.5% cashback.

It was our preferred overseas card for a few years, but the credit limit was rather modest. And didn't receive automatic transaction notifications. So Tandem, which provides much more credit (eg in case of emergencies, such as mechanical breakdown abroad) is our new favourite. :)
I wonder if you have your Aqua card set so they don't offer you an increase in your credit limit, as we've had quite a few increases since we took them out.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We use our Nationwide Flex Plus account debit card for withdrawing cash from a bank ATM, we don’t accept the conversion rate. We can also withdraw €500 per day but this has to be done by withdrawing 2 x €200 and 1x €100 at a time. No charges. We have a Nationwide credit card we use for all purchases. We also get the bank rate of the day and not the tourist rate, which is higher. Credit card bill paid by direct debit monthly. Works for us. We are Portugal by the way.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I wonder if you have your Aqua card set so they don't offer you an increase in your credit limit, as we've had quite a few increases since we took them out.
We requested regular credit limit increases on the Aqua card, and always received them - but only a few hundred £ at a time. Apparently, the card is primarily designed for folk with a difficult or poor credit rating. Although, that wasn't our reason for getting it. I can't remember exactly how much our limit is now - I think it's about £2.4k.

Whereas Tandem was £5k out of the blocks without even asking. I suspect we could easily get that raised if required, but reckon it's sufficient. In a seriously expensive emergency can fall back on Barclaycard.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I've got a Tandem card as well and so far it works well but there are fees for cash withdrawals. Please don't tell me about any more cards as I just can't seem to help myself! Obviously I have Revolut, Monzo and Starling.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I've got a Tandem card as well and so far it works well but there are fees for cash withdrawals. Please don't tell me about any more cards as I just can't seem to help myself! Obviously I have Revolut, Monzo and Starling.
What, no Metro bank? Also fee free for withdrawal and purchases abroad. But no interest on balances.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back