Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Just a bit of help please .some of the aires I am looking to use later this year are credit card barriers ,what card does everyone use ? As I have not used one before . Roy

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just be aware that a lot of the new Aires ( and some older ones) are owned by a company called Camping Car Parks and you will need one of their cards to use them. That's not a problem though because the payment machines issue the Pass 'Etapes card after registration and payment at the machine.
Instruction, when we registered at the Utah Beach aire, were in French and we had to phone the helpline ( English) because the machine wasn't working properly.
You can then use the card to load money on and use this to access and pay at their other Aires.
It's a bit long winded and a nuisance if you are never going to use their Aires again ( we haven't in 3 years) but we needed to stop there for the night so endured the process to get in.
Otherwise, almost any credit or debit card will work. The only one we found not working was at at le Crotoy, that was a machine fault not a problem with our card.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we got a Caxton card a coupe of years ago just for use on aire access, failed at both attempts :(

now abandoned, but going for Revolut for next trip to Scandanavia, hope we have more luck

Could just be me though, I don't get on well with technology, pressing buttons is technology for me :)(y)

Cash wherever possible, including on a couple of occasions when I was blocking entrances paying a local cash, they got us in on their card (y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
The only one we found not working was at at le Crotoy, that was a machine fault not a problem with our card.
Still not working (last week), you must use coins €7 and the local gendarmes do check your ticket.
Cheers
Ed

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
A lot of new credit card machines in garages and shops are very sensitive. I tried to use my French bank ( debit) card and a UK debit card and both were refused at the pay at pump in a Super U. The casse declined my French debit card but accepted the UK debit card. There was a substantial amount in both accounts but I have found this happens quite a lot.
I used the French card later somewhere else and it was fine.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We used a card barrier at Contis les Bains We pulled up put the card in and nothing seemed to happen. We were about to give up when a van was coming out. Joan spoke to them and they said just give it time. A couple of minutes later the barrier opened, in all about 5 minutes from payment to entry.

I wonder how many others just drove away. The place was almost empty.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If the "aire" doesn't accept a Revolut card, I am not staying there...

...mind you, I doubt I will stay there even if it does.

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back