Crazy parking ticket in Ripon (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Jhorsf with regards to your assumption that I am inconsiderate, how would you know as you don't know me.
I was pointing out the fact that the car park was empty and didn't justify the £60 fine, however I would consider it inconsiderate if the car park was busier and am sure Yorkieman would have moved his van had that been the case, unless he's as inconsiderate as me
You know what they say about making assumptions

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The parking attendant is employed to enforce the published rules but perhaps they might have been considerate and knocked on yorkiemans door to offer a solution rather than covertly slapping on a ticket. Lots of scenarios but I agree it stinks on the face of it.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am surprised that there appear to be some Funsters who, despite being members of the forum for 15 odd months, haven't tuned into the ambience.

Come on folks... get with the programme...

Let's have relaxing fun on here and use other forums for venting our fury at people we don't agree with. (I am a member of a brilliant one for that. No Rule 1 there!)

In reference to the OP... if I had got a ticket like that the Ripon authority would be more likely to get me dressed in a red football shirt with "Fergie Is God" written on the back than getting a single penny from me for the ticket.

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
I would have parked my car in the empty bay just in front of the van.
Now that would be Fun fun fun, and took your mind off the ticket
:ROFLMAO:
Nice van by the way

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yorkieman feel for u mate, I would so p*sssed off [HI]unfortuantley there are people in this country who have no common sense (GJH probably one of them) who try's to justify the action of a muppet. [/HI]
Common sense would be applicable if the car park was full, but as u can see its empty, and why Is it that some people seem to think the local council are doing us a favour by letting us park in there empty car parks (for which us tax payers have paid for) and spending money in the local community where there is lots of empty shops. Who's doing who a favour
Maybe if enough funsters wrote to the council informing them of the money we bring to there local community they wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the nice letter your good lady wrote to them
It's about time council appreciate MH and the money we bring and not treat us like something they found on the bottom of there shoes

I have never met you so don't know the extent of your knowledge of car park construction, regulations &c. However, as has been pointed out, I do know a little bit. Even though a car park might appear empty and ideal for parking a motorhome there may be good reasons why that is not the case. You might care to reflect on these notes from one of my web pages :Smile:
The first point to make is that the majority of UK car parks are just that - areas designed for parking of cars, not larger vehicles. That is unsurprising when one thinks about it as the majority of users are commuters or shoppers.

Many of the car parks in the UK were designed and built several decades ago when motorhome usage was much less and when cars themselves were generally rather smaller. As a result many car parks are difficult (even dangerous) to navigate in a large vehicle. In addition, because they were designed for smaller vehicles the construction is sometimes incapable of withstanding sustained usage by vehicles heavier than two tonnes. Indeed, the Traffic Regulation Orders covering some local authority car parks still refer to a maximum permitted unladen weight for a motor car or goods vehicle of 1525 Kg, despite the fact that many other vehicles (e.g. large 4x4s), as well as motorhomes, weigh in excess of that amount.

Unless specific permission is gained from the owner of the car park, motorhomes should not be parked in coach bays. Without permission there is a significant risk of being fined. Quite apart from that, coach bays are provided in recognition that their drivers (unlike motorhome drivers) are compelled by law to take breaks at certain times. Many coach bays are also placed close to facilities in recognition that many passengers may be elderly and have difficulty in walking long distances.

Before you leave your vehicle in any car park it is worth checking the notices in the car park to see what restrictions on parking are displayed - for example, time limits, parking within bays (including any ban on overhangs).

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jhorsf with regards to your assumption that I am inconsiderate, how would you know as you don't know me.

Probably assumed (rightly or wrongly) because you call other members jobsworths, or single other members out to say they have no common sense.

Here on fun you can argue your point as vigorously as you like but please don't ever get personal, it's not how we do things here. Thanks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We use the council car park in Thirsk when visiting a friend and we take up two parking bays so buy two tickets which seems fair to me. You could not park four cars in an empty car park and just pay for one so why expect to get away with taking up four bays with a motorhome.

As for the attendant knocking on the window, what would happen if the occupant was having a bad day or was an axe wielding mad man, would we now all be saying the parking attendant was looking for trouble.

Somebody suggested they would never pay the fine, if it's council property you will end up in court and then the bailiffs will come a knocking, not worth it IMHO.

You do the crime so you pay the fine.

Sorry not very sympathetic, just my thoughts.

Martin

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Yorkieman, We live near Ripon and it is obviously the attitude of the Council that has resulted in the vast number of shops that have ceased trading. We only have growth in charity shops and building societies.
Cheers
Bernie

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
as previously poste I know that car park and in almost all the perimeter bays revers parking is possible and from where the photo was taken ther is ten level bays to park in where the over hang can go over the grass
maybe he has a problem with reveres Gere on his van or reverse parking:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yorkieman, We live near Ripon and it is obviously the [HI]attitude of the Council that has resulted in the vast number of shops that have ceased trading.[/HI] We only have growth in charity shops and building societies.
Cheers
Bernie

How do you come to that conclusion.. ?

The same thing is happening in hundreds of high streets ... can't all be the councils fault.

Shops close because people stop using them.. same with pubs .. no point in bemoaning when we are the cause.. not the council.

For example.. Our only village shop sent out a flyer saying it would close if not used more often.. that kind of plea does nothing to get customers back.. we don't use because it is too expensive and also doesn't have the products we need.. eg fresh fruit and veg and a butchery..

but I digress..

Moaning about a parking fine because the car park was empty is like complaining about a speeding fine on an empty motorway.. :Doh:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I can see both sides to this.

It was an empty car park and so no real harm was being done but it was an infringement of the parking regulations, which is what the official is charged with upholding.

Yes, he/she could have asked for the vehicle to be parked in accordance with the regulations but to do so he would run the risk of verbal abuse or worse..... parking wardens aren't the most popular of people after all.

The person who enforced the fine and didn't have the courtesy to reply .... Just a note with the receipt explaining why the ticket could not be rescinded would have made you feel a bit better. Perhaps that's why I wasn't a council employee for very long.
I have talked to the traffic warden on several ocations in that car par and it is a problem that will get fixed next year big barriers as it happens all to often
and the enforcement officer are subject to both types of abuse so a another facility for motor homers is lost thanks to the inconsiderate parking of motor homes maybe parking lissom seminar on one of the meets how to use revers geer:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Jim, I hope the same applies to jhorsf, however it looks like it was only directed at me. Two wrongs don't make a right (inconsiderate). I agree that maybe calling someone a jobs worth is slightly derogatory but saying situation/person lacks common sense not so sure
Ive had my say on the subject so will leave it at that

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

I insist on having the last word on this subject.

That word is .......zyzzyva

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Not sure i quite follow , did you overnight in the carpark and pay one fee and then woke up to find the ticket and why were you still there one and a half hours after you got the ticket. Were your curtains/blinds closed ?

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
How do you come to that conclusion.. ?

The same thing is happening in hundreds of high streets ... can't all be the councils fault.

Shops close because people stop using them.. same with pubs .. no point in bemoaning when we are the cause.. not the council.

For example.. Our only village shop sent out a flyer saying it would close if not used more often.. that kind of plea does nothing to get customers back.. we don't use because it is too expensive and also doesn't have the products we need.. eg fresh fruit and veg and a butchery..

but I digress..

Moaning about a parking fine because the car park was empty is like complaining about a speeding fine on an empty motorway.. :Doh:
I came to the conclusion because there has to be some connection between shops struggling and lack of customers. The ever increasing cost of parking is
causing shoppers to make decisions about where to shop and here the out of town shops with free parking are doing well.The footfall in Ripon town centre is declining and the spiral of less shoppers--less shops continues. We can argue for ever over what responsibility the Council should take but I have my view and will stick with it!
Cheers
Bernie

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Jim, I hope the same applies to jhorsf, however it looks like it was only directed at me. Two wrongs don't make a right (inconsiderate). I agree that maybe calling someone a jobs worth is slightly derogatory but saying situation/person lacks common sense not so sure
Ive had my say on the subject so will leave it at that

As you seem to want an explanation I think in my opinion it was inconsiderate of the op to park like that, you then defended them and told probably the most knowledgeable person in the country on motorhome parking they had no common sense etc.
If you consider parking like that ok they you are inconsiderate:restmycase:

I think you should maybe look at your post again to see the words you used

[HI]Jhorsf your another one of these jobs worth[/HI], I bet your one of these people when on an empty motorway in the middle of the night never goes above 70
[HI]Maybe if a few more funster were to get a spine instead of acting like a load of jellyfish [/HI]the councils wouldn't exploit MH's. Yorkieman paid to park, however some jobs worth decided to give him a £60 fine because he didn't park in a single bay (empty car park) a bit like the official (empty)
[HI]Instead of backing a fellow funster in what is clearly an absurb ticket most seem to agree,[/HI] maybe that's why councils exploit MH, because they know they can get away with it. If we stuck together then maybe councils would provide suitable:thumb:for over 500.000 MH in this country instead they just see us easy money and weak
And before anyone goes on about rules just ask yourself this have any of u ever exceeded the speed limit (law) and got away with it and if u did break the law why didn't you hand yourself in for a £60 fine because common sense kicks in which is what should have happened in this case

The reason councils put barriers in to stop us is because of people parking in an inconsiderate manner the photo in the OP is a classic example.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yorkieman, We live near Ripon and it is obviously the attitude of the Council that has resulted in the vast number of shops that have ceased trading. We only have growth in charity shops and building societies.
Cheers
Bernie

It may be the actions of the council which have caused the lack of business in traditional high streets but is it their actions on parking?

In Middlesbrough there has, for many years, been a rising number of shop closures and replacement by charity shops, betting shops and empty units. The main cause, though, is the demolition of town centre housing. People do not live near town centre shops so use suburban shops - town centre starts to fail and businesses build new premises where people can get to easily - town centre starts to fail more rapidly.

That is despite cuts in parking charges (and introduction of free parking) by the council. The only central car park which charges for the first 2 hours is privately owned - and, of course, private enterprise always knows best when it comes to business ::bigsmile:

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Graham, Sorry but I do not see the connection between Ripon and Middlesborough. I will stick with my view of our council.
Cheers
Bernie

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, Sorry but I do not see the connection between Ripon and Middlesborough. I will stick with my view of our council.
Cheers
Bernie

No connection per se, Bernie, just querying whether it is parking policy which causes town centre failure - which is not the case in Middlesbrough

In the case of places like Ripon I'm not knowledgeable about town centre housing but I think that residents now tend to work outside the city more than they used to and may well shop where they work

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
My local town has all free parking its high street is dead with charity shops and card shops.
The reason is employment or the lack of it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I bet your one of these people when on an empty motorway in the middle of the night never goes above 70

That would be me then.

As a driver who had recently passed her test I was a witness to an horrific accident on the opposite carriageway of a seemingly deserted motorway.

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Well I have read this post from the beginning and I must point out that I have never been to Ripon, never had a town centre shop, or pub, but I can see that every body has a point of view. I agree with all of you, I will now have another beer and may I suggest that you lot do the same :thumb:

Cheers......hope that has closed the subject so that we can get back to....FUN! ::bigsmile:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Billy,

I tried having the last word, (and a fat lot of good it did me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Jhorsf, firstly the post wasn't for u it was directed at jim but thanks for speaking for him am sure he will be happy u did
If u look at my post I said that in that instance in an empty car park with a ticket paid for I didn't consider it inconsiderate but if the car park had more occupants then I would consider it inconsiderate (who is it not being considerate of if the car park is empty) if your going to quote me please be accurate.
I don't know GJH but he does sound like a knowledgable individual on parking, however that doesn't mean he's correct in everything he says, as can be seen from the posts not everyone agrees with him, and common sense is not related to knowledge

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jhorsf, firstly the post wasn't for u it was directed at jim but thanks for speaking for him am sure he will be happy u did
If u look at my post I said that in that instance in an empty car park with a ticket paid for I didn't consider it inconsiderate but if the car park had more occupants then I would consider it inconsiderate (who is it not being considerate of if the car park is empty) if your going to quote me please be accurate.
I don't know GJH but he does sound like a knowledgable individual on parking, however that doesn't mean he's correct in everything he says, as can be seen from the posts not everyone agrees with him, and common sense is not related to knowledge

You lost your argument when you got personal. This is what happens when rule 1 is broken... threads turn into stupid little tit for tats, with people trying to get the last word. Please forget it and move on, thanks. :Smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back