Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
The previous owner of my van saw fit to remove the locker which supported the lower third of the bed-Why????:cry: he was of normal height-the mind boggles. Rather than stretching my somewhat limited carpentry skills to building a locker, I opted to put on batons and place a board over the space. The batons went on nicely and I measured up for the board,went to homebase and explained to the fellow there that I needed something strong but as light as possible as my 970cc engine struggles with the load as it is. He suggested chipboard and I expect you can guess the outcome. I knelt on it with one knee to arrange the mattresses and went straight through.:Eeek: What would you clever folk out there suggest? Do you think MDF would be suitable? Oh and the mattresses were seriously inadequate. What is best for comfort and are there any good places to get them made that don't charge a king's ransom?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I think a desent thickness of "Plywood".. Half or better three quarter inch...

Bit of Marine Ply would be better as it is impregnated with some sort of waterproofing, which seems to make it stronger.. :thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Ply would be stronger and lighter than mdf :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
having converted vans into campers several times, I would say use 9mm plywood. MDF and chipboard both absorb water from the atmosphere, and condensation in a motorhome will destroy its integrity quickly

I I were you, I would draw a box the correct size and mark out the dimensions, then go to B&Q and have them cut up a sheet of plywood into sizes to suit. then reuse the battons you have to screw the corners together. Much stronger, and if you leave the top loose, it can be used as storage

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
having converted vans into campers several times, I would say use 9mm plywood. MDF and chipboard both absorb water from the atmosphere, and condensation in a motorhome will destroy its integrity quickly

I I were you, I would draw a box the correct size and mark out the dimensions, then go to B&Q and have them cut up a sheet of plywood into sizes to suit. then reuse the battons you have to screw the corners together. Much stronger, and if you leave the top loose, it can be used as storage

OOh..er.Sounds marvelous but possibly beyond me. Maybe I should invest in a carpenter...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Depending on the size of the sheet 9mm ply would be the best. Personally I doubled up and used 18mm ply but I always over spec stuff.

Don't use MDF, not really a suitable material for structural stuff.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi MM measure and take sizes to B & Q they will cut it to size :thumb: either 9 mm or 12 mm ply will do :thumb: see what off cuts they have,if any :thumb:
terry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Alternatively Mandy bring it down here we have a CL and the construction work provided you pay for materials is free. I have been repairing/upgrading funsters vans for a while now, but no mechanics please I have extensive workshop facilities to hand for wood or metalwork.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Generous

What a very generous offer - gives one a boost knowing there's still a lot of thoughtful/kind people out there.

Rob:thumb:

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Matress

We used a local firm called Easi Foam, but they have a website and do mail order, It cost £84 for a double matress 196cm x 130cm to give you some idea of cost. Ours is the firm foam and I've been sleeping better than I have in years.

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wow,that's incredibly kind. I'm back at work for a while but would love to see your site sometime soon.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back