Crash on the A9 (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Link Removed

Motorists are warned to expect delays near Dunkeld after the van and a car collided.

A9 Information Map
Link Removed

The A9 spans 273 Miles from the central Belt nr Falkirk to Thurso in the far Northern Highlands of Scotland. The new A9 was mostly rebuilt from the 70's until the 90's. Ongoing works on the current road concentrate on accident Blackspots of the road, with new 3 lane (2/1) lanes and short spans of dual carriageway, it is debatable whether these are bringing down accident rates, however, and many are now calling for the entire A9 to be dualled.

Deleted User
"and many are now calling for the entire A9 to be dualled. "

Which it should have been in the first place, parts of that road are lethal especially where the dualled sections are split on two levels and then merge into a single carriageway. Only recently I read somewhere (possibly here) of an inquest into a couple killed on a motorcycle after colliding with a German (I think ) tourist who mistakenly thought that he was still on a dualled section.
Perhaps we may also get some facilities for large vehicles, 100 miles without proper facilities, especially for HGV's is ridiculous.
Incidentally off up there tomorrow to visit brother in law at Beauly.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

The calling now is just a continued call for the whole route to Inverness to be dual carriageway for all the years I have lived in the north of Scotland. As has been said there are no facilities on the A9 for moe than 100 miles without turning off into small villages that are totally unsuitable for lorries, large RV's and caravans. The reason given for this lack of facilities was the fear of local communties losing business when the original A9 was built bypassing their towns.

Driving the road as I have frequently done it is a majore fete of concentration trying to remember or realise if you are on dual carriage way or not and if it is difficult for us UK drivers its a nightmare for foreigners who use the routes frequently.

But sadly I think any call on the road planners will fall on deaf ears.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Which it should have been in the first place, parts of that road are lethal especially where the dualled sections are split on two levels and then merge into a single carriageway. Only recently I read somewhere (possibly here) of an inquest into a couple killed on a motorcycle after colliding with a German (I think ) tourist who mistakenly thought that he was still on a dualled section.
Perhaps we may also get some facilities for large vehicles, 100 miles without proper facilities, especially for HGV's is ridiculous.
Incidentally off up there tomorrow to visit brother in law at Beauly.

That road should have been dualled years ago.
It's always been dangerous.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I told you so !!!

Some time ago there was a post extolling the A9 and what a wonderful road it was...I replied saying that it was an ectremely dangerous road ! I was poo, poed by the poster who reiterated that it was the driver, not the road..It would appear that subsequent events have proved me correct !!!
SO THERE !!!!!!!!! :moon::moon::moon:

Extremely even !!!!!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't know the area but, looking at Google maps, the junction concerned seems to have plenty of visibility to the north and south.

According to the report the French vehicle was exiting the junction and turning right onto the northbound side but was hit by the MH as it crossed the southbound lane. That, and the picture in the report, would suggest that the collision occurred because the French driver pulled out when the MH was too close, rather than any fault of the road design.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
According to the report the French vehicle was exiting the junction and turning right onto the northbound side but was hit by the MH as it crossed the southbound lane. That, and the picture in the report, would suggest that the collision occurred because the French driver pulled out when the MH was too close, rather than any fault of the road design.

Members of the jury, I rest my case, you have no alternative but to find the A9 innocent of all charges.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
KNICKERS !!

Did the road lurch and throw the silly froggy into the the path of the MH ?

NO.

Is it not a beautiful road ?

YES.

Just look at this road, I put it to you that it is a fine road, with a cute station and is totally innocent of case brought against it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Dun...=5Mn0u3zIqnPy-lViHuuxmQ&cbp=12,300.51,,0,10.6
I'm with Hildweller on this. I think the A9 is a great road, particularly for us motorhomers who are not in a tearing hurry to get somewhere. Of course you have to concentrate but is that not the case on all roads? I agree that there are parts where you have to think whether it is dual or not but surely putting up regular signage on these parts would be a damned sight cheaper than dualling it all.

Keep it as it is, IMHO.

Any fellow funsters on it on Saturday afternoon? We will be heading south, and enjoying every minute of it.::bigsmile:

Phil

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Statistical this is a dangerous road.. it's easy to blame drivers.. yes, most accidents are caused by driver error or misjudgement, but this does not negate the facts.

According to gov. figures:
More lives were lost on the A9 over a five-year period than any other road in Scotland,

From 2002 to 2006, 69 people died as a result of accidents on the route and 1,085 accidents.. which equates to an accident every second day on this road. It is unacceptable for one road to cause so many accidents and fatalities.

A spokesman for the RAC Foundation said: “Any road that is heavily used by commuters or heavy goods vehicles really must be able to handle the increasing volume of traffic we are now seeing."

“For a major road like the A9 not to be fully dualled raises some serious safety issues and increases the likelihood of accidents.”

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The latest risk map for Scotland - Link Removed - shows the A9 as Low-medium risk (the second lowest of the five categories).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
More lives were lost on the A9 over a five-year period than any other road in Scotland

It's one of the longest roads in Scotland with many tourists, many of these foreign.

But by all means improve it.

In fact they are up towards Aviemore.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back