Crash helmets (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
in the end its down to personal choices , and trying to impose anothers value judgement that says the personal choice is wrong is
unacceptable. Advice should be offered and that should be the end of it . JMHO

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Lots of things could go wrong, the probability of whether they will go wrong (or not) is another question entirely. I think it is down to the individual to assess their risk and decide the level of protection they personally warrant to try and ensure their ongoing existence should something bad happen. You can only control the controllable, I can choose my protective equipment, I can't necessarily choose when or the circumstances under which I may rely on it.

The thing is, until you have been in the position where the brown stuff hits the fan, you have no idea what those risks are.

This is the adult version of buying kids trampolines. No perception of danger, so there isnt any.

Sadly, the point at which you realise you made a dumb decision, is closely followed by paying for it quite severely.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sadly, the point at which you realise you made a dumb decision, is closely followed by paying for it quite severely.

Don't I know it. My first motorcycle accident, 16, hit a kerb and did loop past the top of a lamp post and thud.

No helmet. Shirt sleeves. Three months in hospital with a broken knee.

If only I'd been wearing a Shoei helmet !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
When I was circa 17, a close friend incurred a major head injury due to his motorcycle being in collision with another vehicle, resulting in a coma from which he never regained consciousness and ultimately his death. From what I recall, his full face helmet was probably "middle of the road" for that time, but he had an unfortunate habit of not securing the chinstrap. I found him by the side of the road and his helmet, ripped off during impact, some way away. I still sometimes wonder "what if...", not that it is productive to do so. To get to the point, this experience has since influenced my selection and wearing of protective head gear (e.g. ensuring correct fitment and fastening etc), I personally choose not to take a punt on the cheaper or unknown (to me) brands.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Stuck with Nolan for years and have an open face one for hotter climates and in addition a Caberg duke 2 for the cooler months , which is a modular with a 5* sharp rating. My advice as per most is around fit and get best you can afford. Sharp testing covers a good price band of helmets.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
From my years of experience I don`t think you pick a helmet, I think they pick you!!!

Have tried just about every make and have to say I have an Arai shaped head, am currently looking for an open face helmet to go with my recently purchased 1954 Royal Enfeild 350cc Bullet and despite trying on almost every lid in the store the most comfortable by a country mile was the Arai.

Decision made.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
The best helmet I have ever had was a Schuberth S, extremely well made, the quietest and best fitting I've ever had and light weight.
Unfortunately it fell off my bike seat onto concrete kerbing and although it appeared to only have slight grazing/cracking to the surface I thought it safer to replace it.
I couldn't face spending that sort money again so went for an HJC FGST and have been very pleased with it, less than half the price of the Schuberth.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
so went for an HJC FGST and have been very pleased with it, less than half the price of the Schuberth.
Good Helmet with a 5 star rating (y)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
25mph crash, top of the range Suomy,£300 flicked off the bike landed on my back. Concussion that lasted a week, elbow that came up like that in less than 10 minutes , an hour after the crash. Birthday weekend, crashed on the saturday afternoon, was sunday before i felt proper with it, had to drive 300 miles home.

Thats a crash slower than a moped goes.

helmet.jpg
elbow.jpg

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
25mph crash, top of the range Suomy,£300 flicked off the bike landed on my back. Concussion that lasted a week, elbow that came up like that in less than 10 minutes , an hour after the crash. Birthday weekend, crashed on the saturday afternoon, was sunday before i felt proper with it, had to drive 300 miles home.

Thats a crash slower than a moped goes.

View attachment 208960 View attachment 208961
I gave it a like for the simple reason it goes to show you can still have a big impact at minor speeds, not because you had an off:p
I dislocated my shoulder at an embarrassingly slow speed on a KX250 years ago:rolleyes:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I gave it a like for the simple reason it goes to show you can still have a big impact at minor speeds, not because you had an off:p
I dislocated my shoulder at an embarrassingly slow speed on a KX250 years ago:rolleyes:

Its the slow ones that hurt.

I went down at about 48 secs in.

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
Used Kbc, Shark, Scuberth, Arai All been good in a crash. Shark very comfortable. Schuberth by far the quietest lid I've ever used. Arai very expensive but the service you get from them is second to none.
Wouldn't buy one off EBay.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Ordered the Leopard one today £45, tried one on at the Lincoln store and it fitted well but it wasn't the exact one I wanted so I've had to order it. They look well made and get very good reviews on amazon. I think you pay for the name with the top brands, some arai are nearly £1000. Ridiculous.

Im a big Aria fan.
I dont think it is worth going for cheap helmets,as others say how much goes into design and production on the cheaper ones

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Im a big Aria fan.
I dont think it is worth going for cheap helmets,as others say how much goes into design and production on the cheaper ones

But not big enough to spell it right LOL.... sorry for being a 3 pint pedant.. lol.

Saving money on stuff that will save your life. You get what you pay for.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Stuck with Nolan for years and have an open face one for hotter climates and in addition a Caberg duke 2 for the cooler months , which is a modular with a 5* sharp rating. My advice as per most is around fit and get best you can afford. Sharp testing covers a good price band of helmets.
I took a punt on a Nolan N87 because it won product of the year awards and got highly rated for a cheaper helmet. Whilst it has some quite nice features (e.g. retracting self sealing visor mechanism) It now lives in a cupboard because it’s just so bloody noisy (even with ear plugs) in comparison to Shoei, Schuberth and Shark lids. It may be ok for use with the scooter or as an emergency/spare lid, but definitely not daily motorcycle use for me.

Last edited:

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
Im a big Aria fan.
To be honest Your right about Arai you pay for the name and service but for me it's worth it. Every weekend at Bsb and everynight after practice at the Tt we take the helmets to the Arai truck. They clean them check visors are tight and fit tear offs to them. This is all a free service!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
To be honest Your right about Arai you pay for the name and service but for me it's worth it. Every weekend at Bsb and everynight after practice at the Tt we take the helmets to the Arai truck. They clean them check visors are tight and fit tear offs to them. This is all a free service!

If I was somewhere that provided a service that , I'd be using them too, back in the day when I worked in BSB (brief weekend warrior stint while injured) , I'd use the Arai service with my road helmets, which tended to be year old ex race ones that survived unscathed , or were BNIB but unusable due to sponsors being wrong.

Just ordered of these up, £379 .. reduced to £179 cos its a 2017 colourway, and a gopping one at that . Luckily (well not so luckily) it matches our sponsors colour choices. It has the MIPS system , so you can inflate the lining to remove it.

If I catch him in a good mood , I might get 2 , no way I'm doing a season with just 1.

2017-fox-v3-creo-motocross-helmet-teal-365.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back