Cracks in ABS rear top cap Rapido (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
I need to repair these cracks in the ABS top cap myself, what´s the best way to effect a permanent repair?
Rapido cracks 1.jpg
Rapido cracks 2.jpg
Rapido cracks 3.jpg

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
im not sure if plastic welding will work on that material,you could try the technique out on a less visable area .Plastic welding involves using a mesh and under heat (soldering iron) melting it into the surface ,then using a flexy filler flatten it back and paint ,you will most likely see evidence afterwards ,if you can get the the end of the crack ,drill a small hole to stop it spreading

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ideally support behind with fibreglass mesh and then plastic weld and fill. you can buy kits with a soldering iron with adjustable heat and various plastic rods to melt into the joint. then grind back with a dremel and paint if neccessary to conceal

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have had very good results with Plastex HERE plenty of info on website to show you how to use it but it's very easy.

OP
OP
daveinspain
Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks all for your advice, much appreciated. I can´t get behind the panel, so I´ll try the plastic weld method then paint to conceal.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I used to do plastic welding as part of my business ,not all plastics lend themselves to the technique , use 400 grade sandpaper to flatten down the filler ,have a block behind it ,then some highbuild primer and flatten back with 1500 ,mask everything that you dont want painted and key all areas.

Just had a thought ,i fixed a brand new moho bumper many moons ago ,i welded the bumper,then used filler and gell coat repair (get it from a marine shop) the problem with the gell coat is that it will look brand new so a bit of primer and paint over it faded out the difference

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
After the repair you could always use some vinyl cut to shape to cover up the repair.

Use a different colour maybe and it will look like it is supposed to be there :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back