Cracked Windscreen (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
If we had a cracked screen on the buses and coaches were I worked the body shop guys used to drill the outer glass at both ends and fill the crack with super glue type of stuff. The crack had to be out of the swept area on the drivers side.
The screen would not be changed until MOT time. An advisory from the MOT was classed as a fail by the management at head office. The re test had to come out of the local depot budget.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to mine. Insured with C&MC with windscreen cover. Found a small crack in my windscreen so called the number on my policy. Straight through to Auto Windscreens. Took my details and arranged replacement windscreen to be fitted March 5th. Grand. They cancelled on 3rd March and rearranged for March 17th. They cancelled on March 15th and rearranged for March 29th. Turned up with the wrong windscreen. Rearranged for April 7th but said if it’s raining I’ll need to drive to their depot 15miles away so they can replace it under cover. First site trip booked for end of April. If they cancel again I’ll need to cancel two sites we’ve booked as I won’t drive with a cracked windscreen. Anyone had similar issues with Auto Windscreens?
Yep, they are a shower of ...............

Long story short, they had 4 x attempts to get the job right, and after pattern part screen failure without the vehicle moving at all, I specified that I wanted an OE screen from Germany, which my insurers agreed to. Eventually, the job was done properly, but after weeks of delays and cancelled Meets. :mad: I even suffered minor injuries due to their negligence.

It got so bad, our windscreen excess was waivered, as well as an offer made of a three figure sum, as compensation.

Because of our experience, I have paid a local chap to come and sort out stone chips on the windscreen of the Flair, as Autoglass will only repair once, then they want to replace the screen. Not if I've got anything to do with it they won't.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I take my vehicles to a glass place that I trust. He then tells me, if he is an approved fitter for them. (Even though I should go to autoglass) If he is then he just gets on and does job. Other times he’s had to contact them and sort it out as “an emergency“ job or something. He can often also loose all, or part of my excess.
He has been doing my screens for years which is a great relief for me as his company does all screens including big buses/coaches. So knows how to do old school stuff too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You might consider where you stand legaly
If your cracked screen would fail an MoT it is not fit to be on the road
Police and DVSA can and do issue prohibition notice PG9 ordering vehicle off the road immediately wich effectively cancels your MoT and order a full new MoT as well as a new screen regardless of how much time is left on your certificate
Before it can go back on the road
I have as a matter of being a vehicle examiner cancelled many PG9 and issued new MoTs for this very reason.

OP
OP
MikeH
Aug 14, 2019
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
2020 Bessacarr 597
Exp
So hopefully today’s the day. Fitter due at storage site in between 11:30-14:30🤞

Quantox

Free Member
Dec 20, 2020
The Lakes
Funster No
MH
V-Line 610 SE 2021
But no undercover facilities
Auto glass replaced my car windscreen using a giant parasol attached to the side of their van. Fortunately the vegetation either side of my drive closed in the sides too.
Windscreen Replacement.JPG

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Out first quote for our 'van included a limit of £600 for replacement of windscreen.
Fortunately I noticed it and upped the limit to £3000. Even that might not be enough.

OP
OP
MikeH
Aug 14, 2019
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
2020 Bessacarr 597
Exp
So windscreen replaced but...took the van out of storage to give her a clean and have a good inspection. When replacing the windscreen the fitters have damaged the paintwork all down one side of the painted surround. In these COVID times it’s all non contact so they finished and left without me being able to inspect it but said nothing about the damage. If they’d said we’d scraped your paintwork but are having it sprayed up that would have been ok. But they said nothing. Rather than ring them and go through to the rigmarole of inspections, quotes etc I’ve done the job myself. Just as well I’m able to do that but just a owner beware note. Regardless of COVID or storage of your van, inspect it thoroughly when any work has been done, especially by auto windscreens. My review on their site reflects my experience but I doubt they’ll do much about it.

Attachments

• F3E8D824-8EDC-472A-882D-F80A90F6E632.jpeg
    F3E8D824-8EDC-472A-882D-F80A90F6E632.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 96937E78-0377-4469-B08F-3416D2A1967C.jpeg
    96937E78-0377-4469-B08F-3416D2A1967C.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 42
  • 12AC52BC-35AE-45D0-8500-EEFBBAE246AC.jpeg
    12AC52BC-35AE-45D0-8500-EEFBBAE246AC.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 43
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
So windscreen replaced but...took the van out of storage to give her a clean and have a good inspection. When replacing the windscreen the fitters have damaged the paintwork all down one side of the painted surround. In these COVID times it’s all non contact so they finished and left without me being able to inspect it but said nothing about the damage. If they’d said we’d scraped your paintwork but are having it sprayed up that would have been ok. But they said nothing. Rather than ring them and go through to the rigmarole of inspections, quotes etc I’ve done the job myself. Just as well I’m able to do that but just a owner beware note. Regardless of COVID or storage of your van, inspect it thoroughly when any work has been done, especially by auto windscreens. My review on their site reflects my experience but I doubt they’ll do much about it.
We had similar happen on our first van. They replaced the windscreen in a car park near my place of work. I was a GP. When they finished I was in the middle of seeing patients so didn’t go out to check. When I went out at the end there was a big dent in the middle of my bonnet. It could only have been them but of course I had signed I was happy so no comeback. Fortunately the van was an old one and the paint wasn’t scratched and our local chap was able to do a good job on it relatively cheaply. My fault I know but as usual I’d put patients first.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Like your masking of the area. Something to read whilst you await the paint drying! :whistle2: :giggle:

Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
I’ve got a cracked windscreen result of driving on m25 at weekend. Insurance covers windscreen with excess of £100 but auto glass took £130 explaining they need a screen moulding and insurance company Won’t pay for that. Spent a lot of time getting to insurance to ask, their answer “the moulding is not the glass, we only pay for the glass” :oops:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Nice job , I have the fiat flake . so now you have had some practice any chances......................:rofl:

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Our Bentley Arnage is, I am told 13,500 Quid to replace if it breaks (gulp) but a windscreen claim does not affect our insurance policy thank goodness. They are also as rare as hen's teeth so finding one would be a nightmare. I have often wondered if the would write off the car if they could not find a replacement screen and it needed one.

As far as your crack is concerned I would not even consider cancelling your holiday. I think the chances of being stopped for a check and then getting a ticket are virtually zero.

Go on holiday and worry not my friend.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back