Cracked windscreen (1 Viewer)

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Just got ( at moment) a small crack , now found after speaking to call centre auto glass they have no premises, they come to you ! So I said what happens if on busy road / bad access pouring down with rain ?? Oh he says our vehicles have canopies, as for access , we might have to use a lay by ?? Have any funsters had dealings replacing screens on mh in the open ? Maybe I could get different company WITH premises but would the insurers allow a different company to be used ?

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Mine was changed in France last year by Carglass (Autoglass equivalent) at a campsite with no problems. If it was torrential they said they'd postpone the fitting to avoid water ingress.(y)

Peugeot 'C' class van.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
It's a SMALL CRACK!

My Aclass screen cracked from top to bottom but I continued driving (with the blessing of the glass replacement people on my insurance) for approx 3 weeks before some very good fitters came to my house and did the business in less than an hour.

Don't worry (y) - Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
And small cracks can be repaired, though sadly not by any of the big companies, because they want to sell a new screen.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And small cracks can be repaired, though sadly not by any of the big companies, because they want to sell a new screen.
That I would love to see....and have another look in a few weeks time.
A crack in glass cannot be stopped due to the stress involved around the end of the crack.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They speak with forked tongue....
Autoglass has a repair depot near me....been there years.

Screenshot_2017-08-07-22-12-45.png

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
PapaJohn is correct, a stone chip can be repaired if it is under a certain size and not within certain area`s of the screen. A true Crack will continue to spread once started. Autoglass vans have big canopies which they can deploy, They replaced my Wife`s car screen on the driveway in the "p****g" rain without issue. They may struggle though with a bigger Motorhome because of the height factor.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Autoglass have a dedicated Motorhome team for replacement windscreens.
They came and did ours on the side of a road, a cul-de-sac, they were efficient and contentious, they did a brilliant job and couldn't have been more careful of the van.
This was on an A class Hymer-big windscreen that didn't want to come out!

OP
OP
T
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
They speak with forked tongue....
Autoglass has a repair depot near me....been there years.

View attachment 178742
Well I called that number on add goes straight thru to there call centre , their other sites haven't been updated like the one in Southampton , address is there but when you go round there they have long gone

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
That I would love to see....and have another look in a few weeks time.
A crack in glass cannot be stopped due to the stress involved around the end of the crack.

Incorrect, you stop a crack by drilling a small hole at the end, then fill that hole with windscreen resin, the resin will travel along the length of a crack, sometimes it needs a little encouragement, but a skilled operator would have the skills to do this. How do I know this? I used to train windscreen fitters.
This used to be a common practice particularly with coaches and trucks where replacements can be very expensive, but that was when the repairer's were mostly independent, now the national chains much prefer to sell a screen rather than repair it.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Found out yesterday my Autoglass depot now in line (small chip in car windscreen)
So over to Costa coffee's there's a guy set up there almost permanent.
Come to think of it I was over in the cp there when I noticed the chip !:nerd:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back