Cracked sink (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
2 days in to a holiday in France and the sink has cracked in our van! It’s a 2 year old Campscout revolution any ideas what’s going to cost to fix?
No idea what has cracked it, one of our daughters noticed it when they cleaned their teeth, I guess something has fallen out of the cupboard but the is no sign of impact just a big crack.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If so then this stainless steel unit costing €38 is what a number of German Possl owners are using.

The breaking of the wash bowl is a common sport in Germany :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
If so then this stainless steel unit costing €38 is what a number of German Possl owners are using.

The breaking of the wash bowl is a common sport in Germany :)

thanks Blueknight.
I hope that’s the same as I was expecting to pay a lot more.
Just got to work out how to remove the old one then.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
thanks Blueknight.
I hope that’s the same as I was expecting to pay a lot more.
Just got to work out how to remove the old one then.

I'll do some more research for you tonight (it all needs transalting from German) but my provisional findings is that the black sink surround and the bowl are only sealed/connected with silicone.

It appears that the bowl itself is retained by its own plastic lip which fits into a wooden groove on the cabinetry work which runs around the circumference of the bowl.

You may also need to add a pipe reducer for the bowl and the original pipework to fit. I'll need to read some more posts.

In the meantime can you do me a favour and see if you can measure the diameter of the pipework that leads to the underside of the bowl. It may be around the 33mm to 35mm mark but I'll let you confirm it for me sir.

Can you also measure the length and breadth of your bowl for me and post up a pic too.

The alternative is for the basin to stay in situ and for a car body shop to plastic-weld the underside of the bowl (for support) and then spray a resin + gelcoat finish.
The Germans say that the silver bowl looks much nicer than the white version.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Thanks Andrew,

I need to find something to measure with. Our sink isn’t oval it has flat ends. I think I will be investigating when we get home in a couple of weeks. If I can find a tape I’ll take a picture with the measurements.
not to far to the kitchen sink😁

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If you can post a pic up and that will be a start. Perhaps Jez jezport has the same layout and basin spec as you and can help out with the measurements while you're on your travels.

(y):cool:

OP
OP
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
7D16174D-57F4-4C21-B745-FA8E33067676.jpeg

OP
OP
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for the help.
So far in two years, broken drivers door mirror, back light cluster, water pump and replacement door as it bowed. I have only done 18k miles!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a cracked sink in our Campscout which I noticed not long after we got it, as we hadn't even used it, it had either be damaged at the dealers or was a fault. In the end the dealer arranged for the sink and whole surround, including the lower facia, to be sent to me so I could fit it, but I never bothered (white gaffer tape was useful!) and just passed the new one on to the dealer for them to fit when we traded it in for our Carthago.

I couldn't find a replacement for it anywhere - I did try as I wasn't sure how long it would last and if our suppling dealer would be able to get one for us as Globecar aren't the quickest of companies when it comes to replacement parts - so I suspect the best bet is to get it repaired. If you have any boat builders/repairers round you go and see them as they are gonna be a lot cheaper than a MH dealer and likely do a much better repair.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Great photos but my replacement bowl is not going to fit without a whole load of fettling and some dodgy mastic work.

I've read a few Possl posts tonight and it appears the Germans do three things:

a. Factory replacement costing a wedge of cash.

b. A bodge job where they apply mastic below the sink. The problem with this option is that this repair type eventually fails due to the constant expansion/constriction of the sink plastic when exposed to hold + cold water.

c. The crack is drilled out to a 3mm width and then the bowl is plastic welded/injected from below. It doesn't mentioned it in any of the threads I've read but a good gel coat in the bowl lining will finish off the job.

Personally speaking I would chat with a repairer who deals in fixing motorbike fairing panles as they will be 100% familiar with plastic welding and repairs.

You could ask for an estimate from SMC but based on my recent warranty work last week with my shower door I reckon they'll charge you 5-6 hours labour plus materials and parts.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could ask for an estimate from SMC but based on my recent warranty work last week with my shower door I reckon they'll charge you 5-6 hours labour plus materials and parts.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Don't do it ... really ... it's not worth the aggro!!!!! :oops:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Don't do it ... really ... it's not worth the aggro!!!!! :oops:

Just for a bit of fun Mel. I would love to know how much a sink replacement would cost. I reckon the fitment and supply of my newly designed shower door would be close to £1,000 If it hadn't been done via the warranty system.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just for a bit of fun Mel. I would love to know how much a sink replacement would cost. I reckon the fitment and supply of my newly designed shower door would be close to £1,000 If it hadn't been done via the warranty system.
I hate to think what Globecar paid them to replace the shower tray in our Globecar Familyscout L ... as SMC had to make a support framework to go under it I bet they REALLY creamed it!

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I know it's two years ago you were discussing this but we have just discovered one huge spider web crack and several other smaller ones in our Campscout sink. Sadly out of warranty but it's quite clear the oval sink they use with the square ends is not fit for purpose judging by the number of failures in Globecars and Possls, so we have to do something about it. I have found a 28cm round porcelain china sink that will I'm sure make a very good replacement, although I will have to make a surround for it before fitting it in to the Globecar black sink surround. What I need help with is do you or anyone else know how to get the existing sink unit, surface and facia off? It looks like it might just be set down with silicone but not sure what might be the easiest way to do it.

Blue Knight wanted to know how much a replacement was out of interest and yesterdays price was £975 + VAT p[lus £15 carriage plus VAT.
Quite how they get to that figure God only knows, but I was recently quoted £240 for a replacement water and battery levels gauge that was branded Globecar when the manufacturer wanted 110 Euros but it has their name on it!

OP
OP
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We bit the bullet and paid for a new basin!
I don't know how it came apart as I got it installed as well. The prices have gone up quite a bit as I don't think we paid that much and that included it being installed.
It was still stupidly expensive and we had to wait months for it.

I wish it was just a metal sink like the kitchen sink.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I reckon Globecar/Possl have had to replace so many sinks they are trying to get some money back by charging about 4 or 5 times what the item is worth. Hard to understand why they don't do a re-design. I have now found the access panel behind the cover that fits over the seat belt frame and there is enough access to sink waste and tap connectors etc, but still no nearer finding an easy way to get the unit separated from the cabinet below. Thanks for your news and hope the new sink lasts.

OP
OP
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Sorry, I knew about the access panel as I used it when a tap connection came loose!
I didn't think about using that to remove the basin:doh:

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Nanniemate. I have decided to do a temporary repair for the rest of the season using an epoxy repair kit and then do a replacement using a stainless steel oval sink 340 x 270 that the Possl owners have been recommending as a winter project. Marvix list it but out of stock so may have to get it from Germany. Also huge thanks to all for help and also for bits and pieces of info on Globecar/Possl sinks. although I have yet to get any info on how to get the sink complex off the base unit. I think it's stuck down and held with two screws at the back but if anyone has any other info that would be great.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks Nanniemate. I have decided to do a temporary repair for the rest of the season using an epoxy repair kit and then do a replacement using a stainless steel oval sink 340 x 270 that the Possl owners have been recommending as a winter project. Marvix list it but out of stock so may have to get it from Germany. Also huge thanks to all for help and also for bits and pieces of info on Globecar/Possl sinks. although I have yet to get any info on how to get the sink complex off the base unit. I think it's stuck down and held with two screws at the back but if anyone has any other info that would be great.
AFAIK the sink is stuck under, possibly even slid in to a channel, under the surround surface, so I think you'll need to remove the whole thing to get at it to replace it, when I got a replacement sink from our dealer as we had a crack in it from new it came as a complete unit, ie sink and surround surface.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Mel, I did read that you had got a replacement but never fitted it. Like you, I think the sink is stuck on and somehow sandwiched under the top black acrylic surface. I don't suppose for a minute that the replacement came with any instructions that you might remember, but it would help if you could tell me if it was just the top and the sink sandwiched together or if the front black curved covering was attached to it. That would give me a clue as to where to try to get the top sink complex separated from the lower cabinet. However, because the stainless sink I'm looking at has a flange and will sit on top of the present black surface I am thinking of taking a cutting tool to cut out the old basin (it's not very sturdy), make any minor adjustments to the hole, although looking at the internal dimensions it should simply drop in and then Sikaflex the new basin in place, using the existing waste connections.
Hey, what would we be doing if we didn't have to sort out all our little problems with our motorhomes, and where would we be without all the great info on here.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Mel, I did read that you had got a replacement but never fitted it. Like you, I think the sink is stuck on and somehow sandwiched under the top black acrylic surface. I don't suppose for a minute that the replacement came with any instructions that you might remember, but it would help if you could tell me if it was just the top and the sink sandwiched together or if the front black curved covering was attached to it. That would give me a clue as to where to try to get the top sink complex separated from the lower cabinet.
Yes the front curved bit was included too so in effect you detached the whole of the sink housing just leaving the cupboard below. I never got round to changing it so left the new one with the dealer when we px'd it

However, because the stainless sink I'm looking at has a flange and will sit on top of the present black surface I am thinking of taking a cutting tool to cut out the old basin (it's not very sturdy), make any minor adjustments to the hole, although looking at the internal dimensions it should simply drop in and then Sikaflex the new basin in place, using the existing waste connections.
That's what I was gonna suggest you do rather than rip the lot out, no point in removing it for the sake of it unless it will make the 'hacking' easier and also ensure that you won't accidentally chop through stuff below. I'm wondering if a soldering iron might be a better tool to use or a Dremmel type cutter.
Hey, what would we be doing if we didn't have to sort out all our little problems with our motorhomes, and where would we be without all the great info on here.
Ain't that the truth! I don't know what I'd have done without all the advice I've had on here to help me bodge fix stuff. 😊

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for that Mel. Yes the Dremmel is the tool of choice as I can't see anything underneath through the access panel that might cause a problem. Thanks for the info about the curved front which would have helped if I had decided to try to get the top off the cabinet.
Having searched the internet for 2 days to find a supplier of the SS 340 x 270 oval sink pictured that will fit the Campscout I think I should share the results in case anyone else needs one and doesn't want to pay Globecar £990 plus VAT for a new one. The German supplier has them but will only ship within Germany. Marvix in UK had them but doesn't stock any more because the price has got too high. Tried several others only to be disappointed. Anyway to cut a long story short I eventually found a company called Arlans in Sweden and got it for 33 Euros plus 10 Euros shipping to UK which is quite a bit less than others wanted..
Oval Wash basin 340 x 270.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I can't be sure but the plug hole looks larger than the original so check if you need other bits too.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Yes it does need an adapter but they are available. I had picked this up from somewhere but I've done so much research on this I can't be sure where I got it from.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Since we started this discussion on cracked plastic sinks in Globecars we have now solved our problem by fitting a stainless replacement sink and I have posted pictures. The process was pretty easy if you don't take into account the weeks and the problems I had sourcing the sink. The German agent would not ship to UK and I eventually got one from Sweden, although by then I had accepted one with a slight bit of scratching from the UK guy who only had one left. It will polish out and if anyone wants it it's £30.
First picture shows the access into the under sink area from the dining area (you have to strip the seat back to gain access).
Second picture shows the plastic basin cut out with a dremel tool (very easy), although if you don't have a dremel a drill with a circular cutter or an oscillating cutter will do the same job. The hole in the stainless basin is slightly larger than the hole in the plastic basin and I got a sticky back washer the right size to reduce it and as they come in 5's I have a few over and will supply one with the sink. I used black sikaflex to stick it down as I never want it to come loose, but I'm sure any sealant will probably do the job.
IMG_3501.JPG
IMG_3502.JPG
IMG_3503.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back