Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
No there is an actual reason for that if it is the one I am thinking of. If it is the one going away from Bella Vista into Almeria & basically the last site on the seaward(beach) side then it is in one of the lowest points for rainfall runoff & in the event of a 'Gota Fria' would be destroyed . It was open still the first year I was here & then closed & was ,theoretically , for sale. It just couldn't be used as a campsite.
In 1989 there was a Gota Fria which completely destroyed that bridge & the water level was approx. 9m at the bridge.
Report here;
http://murciatoday.com/mazarrón-history-the-bolnuevo-gota-fría_8039-a.html

Thanks for that Guz. Yes I know of the affects of a Gota fria. I have a video of El Portus naturist camping when it was virtually destroyed by a Gota Fria. There were a number of caravans washed out into the bay and they are still there. They use them for diving on now. A couple of 44 ton trucks got washed away in that rambla about 3 or 4 years ago one was washed out into the bay and had to be recovered by a giant crane.

I was a La Carolina last week and most of the vans there are parked on the beach car park not on the beach. This went for the other bays as well. The Chiringuitos were missing a trick by being closed. Again probably because of restrictions imposed on them. There were quite a number of car visitors as well that probably would have used them.

Last night we went to the Camperstop at Vera and it was quite busy even the sand area at the top had a lot of vans on it and I note they are now developing a new area below that. It looks like it will be holding more than double it present capacity. They have just put the prices up since we were there in December and are now charging 9 euro and an extra 2 euro for hook up.

The Taray Camperpark on the beach at Calnegre is now insisting that you stay on site if you want to dispose of toilet waste and grey water (He used the tern "residents only"). They used to charge 3 euro for it (honesty box) but only 6 euro for an overnight stop. Water has been on a meter for a while even for residents. Again that one was quite full.

We have noticed that there are a lot of French vans about this year (more than previous years).

Heading up to Albox on Monday to see a friend. At present we are at Vera Playa.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
Just walked through the motorhomes in Aguilas and spotted a flyer on a windscreen. New aire at Puerto Juan Montiel about 200 yards from the wild camping spot. 10 euro a night including water, black waste dump and wifi.
It''s a car park for the small marina and there was one motorhome there today, first I have seen so may have only officially opened today.
I am guessing the wild campers will be moved on soon as carnival starts today also.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Ley de Costas.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I was going to suggest that you approached the council with those ideas until I saw the sentence "Just got to get the "bung" to the right Guy?". Now that sort of attitude is going to advance the argument a long way isn't it? It's no wonder that councils don't respond positively when they see ridiculous, inane comments like that.

You Sir have NOT had connection with the Ummm "Leader" of the East Riding Council.;););):D:D:D. (p.s) anything else might be considered Liable!!

pete:D:D:D:D:D

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just walked through the motorhomes in Aguilas and spotted a flyer on a windscreen. New aire at Puerto Juan Montiel about 200 yards from the wild camping spot. 10 euro a night including water, black waste dump and wifi.
It''s a car park for the small marina and there was one motorhome there today, first I have seen so may have only officially opened today.
I am guessing the wild campers will be moved on soon as carnival starts today also.
Tidy in there it is. very nice.You hardly ever see much parked in their most of the year.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You Sir have NOT had connection with the Ummm "Leader" of the East Riding Council.;););):D:D:D. (p.s) anything else might be considered Liable!!

pete:D:D:D:D:D
If a particular member is taking bungs report him rather tha make generalised comments. They just put backs up and make it harder to make progress.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If a particular member is taking bungs report him rather tha make generalised comments. They just put backs up and make it harder to make progress.

Hi

Yes that would be nice, however, it was tried some years ago, but the Politics are such and the "party bias" in this County weighted to such an extent that it`s a total non starter, unless or until "mistakes" are made (unlikely) it will remain the "Status Quo". The reference to "bungs" is metaphorical and cynical rather than physical unfortunately. More of the "you scratch mine, I`ll scratch yours variety". Local "bar room" conversation suggests that it is a case of "knowing where the bodies are buried". But that as we know, is not evidence. There is however a substantial local resentment, but insufficient to usher in much needed political change, which in any case would be unlikely to change ethos, only colour, and of itself could be even more damaging to those in the mid ground! "dammed if you do, dammed if you don't".

Pete

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
But both Bridlington and Scarborough are towns, not the "evidenced examples of specific sites" I asked for :) Indeed, we already know from several past threads that Scarborough is a non-starter because of the planning policy which prevents using land as a caravan site close enough to the town centre for an aire.
I can't think of anywhere in Bridlington which is suitable. The council has already suffered problems with travellers at the P&R so it would be difficult to make a case there.

Graham

I value your website and have several times used places from it

But I find this dogmatic opposition you have to new approaches strange to comprehend.

The amount of Motorhomes that have tried to go to Scarborough and bridilington prove that there is a need. yes some of them will be freeloaders but others will be like myself - quite happy to pay a reasonable amount but dont want to be miles away behind hedges with zero view and messing about with taxis etc.

I agree with the posters on here who say it could and should be at least self financing. In may cases people could stay overnight using facilities that are already there - including the enforcement methods.

Jon

ps sorry to OP for diverting again.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham

I value your website and have several times used places from it

But I find this dogmatic opposition you have to new approaches strange to comprehend.

The amount of Motorhomes that have tried to go to Scarborough and bridilington prove that there is a need. yes some of them will be freeloaders but others will be like myself - quite happy to pay a reasonable amount but dont want to be miles away behind hedges with zero view and messing about with taxis etc.

I agree with the posters on here who say it could and should be at least self financing. In may cases people could stay overnight using facilities that are already there - including the enforcement methods.

Jon

ps sorry to OP for diverting again.
What new approaches? We regularly see posts on threads saying that some nebulous "they" should provide aires or assuming that because some town or other is popular then it must be suitable for an aire. Those are not real approaches, new or old.

It doesn't matter how popular Scarborough might be because the oft discussed planning policy stands in the way. If Scarborough Council had gone ahead with allowing camping in their car parks, as they proposed to do some years ago, they would have opened themselves to legal action by people who had had applications for site licences in the same areas turned down. That would not have been in the public interest.

As I said, I can't think of anywhere in Bridlington which is suitable - and Pete's subsequent posts haven't identified anywhere other than speculative either.

However, let's be positive. You say "I agree with the posters on here who say it could and should be at least self financing". That is true in some places, St Annes for instance where the changes needed to enable the limited scheme were deliberately kept low. It is not universally true though. The costs for Guisborough were similarly restricted but the demand proved so abysmal that it wasn't worth maintaining the scheme. Those examples show that each proposal must be dealt with on its own merits.

So, here's a challenge for all those who think schemes could be at least self financing. Don't just make the assumption that facilities that are already there could be used. Instead, identify a specific existing facility, research all the factors enabling camping there (how much it would cost to make changes necessary and effects on other users for starters) and then approach the council in question to set up a meeting to discuss the matter with at least a prima facie case that it would be successful. Those of us who have already done that know that it doesn't bear fruit every time but has a lot does sometimes and has far more chance of success than simply saying "they" should provide aires.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back