Covid 19 Travel Risk Assessment (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
As a Scout leader I have to do risk assessments for every activity or meeting. A risk assessment requires the risks to be assessed and a way to reduce the risk implemented.

At the moment there are a number of risks caused by Covid. These include risk to physical health by infection, risk to mental health and risk to our financial health.
The problem is that to mitigate any one of these threats we will increase the risk to the other. For example If I reduce the risk of infection by never going out I cant work and my mental health may also suffer.
So what I have decided to do is use my motorhome as safely and in a way that supports businesses where SD and the risks are being handled in a reasonable manner. The risk to my health by doing so is substantially less than the risk to my mental health if I dont go out.

Risk assessments dont need to be written, just asses the situation and keep reassessing as things change, consider the risk to you and to other people.

We are going away for the weekend and will do the following.

Plan ahead!
Check where we will be stopping is acceptable and satisfies the points our risk assessment!
Minimise contact by travelling with our own water, extra cassette, enough gas and diesel for our return. Have enough food and consumables etc.
Use advised PPE and hand wash. Follow SD rules as advised.
Dont travel too far so I wouldn't be able to get home in an emergency.
If I feel in the slightest ill I would not travel or return home, Covid from what I have read doesnt appear one day with instantly incapacitating symptoms so I should always be able to get home if any symptoms were to start.
My van is serviced as required and I have done vehicle safety checks before travel to reduce the chance of needing maintenance during travel.
Always be alert and remember that things change so you may need to re-assess.
At the moment hospitals are busy, so avoiding more risky activities will reduce the risk to other people like rescue and ambulance services.

Im sure there are lots of opinions and lots of stuff I have missed, and yes some may say dont travel but thats your choice and its your life!

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Same here. Risk assessment for each scout meeting plus the COVID one needed.
We are meeting outside every week to avoid wearing masks in the hq and have small patrol based activity with the leader maintaing distance .... and no camping ☹

Daniel.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
As a Scout leader I have to do risk assessments for every activity or meeting. A risk assessment requires the risks to be assessed and a way to reduce the risk implemented.

At the moment there are a number of risks caused by Covid. These include risk to physical health by infection, risk to mental health and risk to our financial health.
The problem is that to mitigate any one of these threats we will increase the risk to the other. For example If I reduce the risk of infection by never going out I cant work and my mental health may also suffer.
So what I have decided to do is use my motorhome as safely and in a way that supports businesses where SD and the risks are being handled in a reasonable manner. The risk to my health by doing so is substantially less than the risk to my mental health if I dont go out.

Risk assessments dont need to be written, just asses the situation and keep reassessing as things change, consider the risk to you and to other people.

Plan ahead!
Check where we will be stopping is acceptable and satisfies the points our risk assessment!
Minimise contact by travelling with our own water, extra cassette, enough gas and diesel for our return. Have enough food and consumables etc.
If I feel in the slightest ill I would not travel or return home, Covid from what I have read doesnt appear one day with instantly incapacitating symptoms so I should always be able to get home if any symptoms were to start.
My van is serviced as required and I have done vehicle safety checks before travel to reduce the chance of needing maintenance during travel.
At the moment hospitals are busy, so avoiding more risky activities will reduce the risk to other people like rescue and ambulance services.

Im sure there are lots of opinions and lots of stuff I have missed, and yes some may say dont travel but thats your choice and its your life!
So sensible, we do the same

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Plan ahead!

Crickey this modern world.What a palava.. Set the Sat nav and just go..Much better for your mental health than doing all that worrying.BUSBY.😁

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Crickey this modern world.What a palava.. Set the Sat nav and just go..Much better for your mental health than doing all that worrying.BUSBY.😁
I don’t think it’s”worrying”. It’s risk assessment,like when your mum taught you how to cross the road.
Risk assessment is done so you don’t have to keep worrying.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Too many people haven’t assessed their Covid risk,the obvious example being those youngsters cavorting in the street when the pubs closed early.
Closing your brain and hoping for the best ain’t the way to go.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I don’t think it’s”worrying”. It’s risk assessment,like when your mum taught you how to cross the road.
Risk assessment is done so you don’t have to keep worrying.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Too many people haven’t assessed their Covid risk,the obvious example being those youngsters cavorting in the street when the pubs closed early.
Closing your brain and hoping for the best ain’t the way to go.
Think we called it Common Sense,,It should just come automatically whilst carrying out day to day life.BUSBY.😁

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Think we called it Common Sense,,It should just come automatically whilst carrying out day to day life.BUSBY.😁
Well yes,I’m with you on that one. But..............the trouble with common sense is that it ain’t very common!
Some would say that it’s common sense to do a risk assessment!!!!!!! :giggle:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The common sense thing is ok for you and yours. But when you are looking after other other peoples kids you have to cover every eventuality.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Why does being in your own home with your own family affect your "mental health"?
Because some presenter on tv like that luvie Dr Hilary has told them it will..Some folk are easily brainwashed.BUSBU.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Certai
Why does being in your own home with your own family affect your "mental health"?
certainly affected this fella's

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
The common sense thing is ok for you and yours. But when you are looking after other other peoples kids you have to cover every eventuality.
Suppose now days with being sued for anything..but back in the 60s we used to push am all in the back of the transit minibus with all the tents etc and just go..Usually managed to bring most of them back in one piece. Did loose a cub footballer out of the cab once going round a bend when the door flew open,,no seat belts then.Picked him up dusted him down and he had a good game in goal..BUSBY.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005

Plan ahead!

Well done for thinking it through. I understand there are many who are very unfortunate to suffer quite significant mental health issues under certain circumstances particularly if it is out of their comfort zone based on what they are used to. There have been a couple of examples of this on this post. It does appear however there are an unusually large number of people that have access to a Motorhome that apparently fit into the mental well-being category or is it simply part of a post rationalization for going away. Personally I would not want to over emphasis and therefore potentially dilute the need for those where it is essential for their well being. We make the most of our home, garden, family and friends within the rules and feel fortunate enough that we are still healthy and above ground.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

Plan ahead!

I think your original post is a bit misleading in a way unless your trip was anything to do with your scouting activity!.
Was it or was it going in the motorhome for a jolly?
It depends a bit on the area you live in as long as it's not in one where the measures advise against travel its up to everyone what they do. If it's in tier 3 it a different matter.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My sister who is a frontline nurse put the value of separation and potential further lockdown in perspective, she told me it unlikely to solve anything However it will give the NHS breathing space before reaching saturation point. Herd immunity is ineffective as the virus is much the same as flue or Common cold, catching a cold one year does not stop you catching one again.
Thus risk assessments are vital and currently even more so for the wider public benefit,I am no advocate for legislation but individual self control and responsibility to others.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I think your original post is a bit misleading in a way unless your trip was anything to do with your scouting activity!.
Was it or was it going in the motorhome for a jolly?
It depends a bit on the area you live in as long as it's not in one where the measures advise against travel its up to everyone what they do. If it's in tier 3 it a different matter.
This was a leisure trip. However we have been having scouting activities outdoors recently and following the Scout Association guidelines and obviously government rules and advice.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
This was a leisure trip. However we have been having scouting activities outdoors recently and following the Scout Association guidelines and obviously government rules and advice.
Whats your areas covid tier?

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My sister who is a frontline nurse put the value of separation and potential further lockdown in perspective, she told me it unlikely to solve anything However it will give the NHS breathing space before reaching saturation point. Herd immunity is ineffective as the virus is much the same as flue or Common cold, catching a cold one year does not stop you catching one again.
Thus risk assessments are vital and currently even more so for the wider public benefit,I am no advocate for legislation but individual self control and responsibility to others.
Since the start of the original lockdown as a family we have had the sense to know this thing isnt going to go away for the foreseeable future so we should try to keep as safe as reasonably possible.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
In the middle at the moment.
So I think given your assessment if you kept away from people why not.
I think a lot depends if you want to go to the limit of what's allowed or do what you think is the best in general.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Same here. Risk assessment for each scout meeting plus the COVID one needed.
We are meeting outside every week to avoid wearing masks in the hq and have small patrol based activity with the leader maintaing distance .... and no camping ☹

Daniel.
It's all Health and Safety gone mad I tell you

Except it's not
Where I used to work they were big into H & S and still unfortunately some accidents where people were seriously hurt occurred
Risk assessments cant eliminate all dangers but they get people thinking about them and how to minimise them

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
But nobody is socially distancing at all - well some are - but when you have to flatten yourself and breath in as shoppers wander about and stop dead in their tracks - then they look at you as if you have two heads because you ARE attempting to distance yourself. Utterly oblivious that someone else might find fault wit them. It is safer in your own house 9 times out of 10 - but when the Government sends you a letter to warn you that you'll probably drop dead if you catch it, it's hardly joyous news is it?

It's the 'not having anything in partic to look forward to' that both Pete and I found and still find, depressing. Normally by now we'd know exactly where we were going and what we'd be doing on certain days up to the end of next March, what with rallies, committee meetings and PSA testing events for other people - let alone our own health concerns and family occasions.

Difficult!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back