COVID-19 Loss of Smell and Taste (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2020
Frome, Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto 69GL (LHD)
Exp
Since 2005
Afternoon all, Just after some advice or helpful comments. I suffered from COVID-19 back in Sep, didn't have a particularly good time of it and was bed-ridden for two weeks (which I can't remember too much about) and house-bound for another 8. Although my doctor was concerned, she didn't think I needed hospitalisation, much to my relief. However, I lost all sense of taste and smell and, although it is now nearly 6 months later, I only have about 20% (in my opinion) of my senses back. Has anyone had the same issue and are there any recommendations out there on how to improve your senses?

Besides the above I am nearly fit and well. Still can't run the same distances I used to and am slightly out of breath when climbing stairs, but I am mentally sound! I know there are many people in a more severe position than I am in and my heart goes out to them. Keep safe one and all and remember that even when the lockdown is relaxed, it is at this point you need to take even more care of yourself!

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
Yes in October. Spent 2 weeks in bed and then a short stay in hospital. Took around 2 months to get feeling relatively normal. Now back on road bike again and building the miles.
Red wine tasted metallic but I could still just about smell it from a closer distance than before. I had my first covid jab a couple of weeks ago. After feeling rough for 3 or 4 days with some of the early onset of covid symptoms my taste and sense of smell are now back again and red wine tastes and smells like it did before this ghastly virus had a go at me.
Just keep going with the exercise in a gradual way. It will get better.
I started with walking up the stairs slowly and using a water rower for building up my system. After about 3 weeks I was running up the stairs and rowing a few Kms.

OP
OP
AdamB
Mar 21, 2020
Frome, Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto 69GL (LHD)
Exp
Since 2005
I am the same - for me, most things smell like petrol, even perfume!
From what happened to you I am looking forward to my first jab - hopefully it will be in the matter of a few days/weeks as I have just entered the next phase of the injections. 'Slowly but surely' is my manta! Thanks for the reply though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I believe I may have caught a minor case of covid whilst out in Spain January last year - at that time there wasn't any of the real hoo-haa and the only effect seemed to be loss of taste and smell as well as feeling a bit under the weather for a few days, didn't think too much about it. I suppose, in hindsight, we ought to have had tests but it was early days and they were not freely available.

A couple of weeks after my taste and smell came back - well sort of. I just put it down to age that those senses were not particularly brilliant any more and just got on with life, as much as was possible anyway.

A few weeks ago I had my first vaccine jab, no ill effects at all. But around 10 days after my senses of taste and smell came back big time. quite suddenly. After what seems like years I can now taste my food and am once again enjoying experimenting with different flavours. Sense of smell is even stronger, to the point I can even smell things that are not actually there and this morning I discovered it was a side effect of what they call long-covid, which is what you appear to be suffering from - sorry it has a short medical name but I can't find the article again.

So if my experience is anything to go by you will get your taste and smell senses back in due course, once your body has overcome the effects of covid. You just have to keep working at improving your health.

I'm sure we all wish you the very best in your recovery.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I’m in a similar position to some of above comments. Had the Virus nearly 12 months ago now. I was eight days bed ridden and aside from a long term period of fatigue, got better late summer 2020 in terms of fatigue, but the underlying issue has been smell and taste.

My issue is the variance in smell and tastenow, more so than the loss of the sense. What I mean here is that my perception of smell and taste has altered dramatically. It also to this day, one year on, very inconsistent; one day tea smells like tea, the next it’s almost like the milk is stale.

In the bigger scheme of things, it’s clearly not going to kill me, but some days it’s very disconcerting and others I am incredibly frustrated by the whole situation.

It appears way more common than I realised.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I believe I may have caught a minor case of covid whilst out in Spain January last year - at that time there wasn't any of the real hoo-haa and the only effect seemed to be loss of taste and smell as well as feeling a bit under the weather for a few days, didn't think too much about it. I suppose, in hindsight, we ought to have had tests but it was early days and they were not freely available.

A couple of weeks after my taste and smell came back - well sort of. I just put it down to age that those senses were not particularly brilliant any more and just got on with life, as much as was possible anyway.

A few weeks ago I had my first vaccine jab, no ill effects at all. But around 10 days after my senses of taste and smell came back big time. quite suddenly. After what seems like years I can now taste my food and am once again enjoying experimenting with different flavours. Sense of smell is even stronger, to the point I can even smell things that are not actually there and this morning I discovered it was a side effect of what they call long-covid, which is what you appear to be suffering from - sorry it has a short medical name but I can't find the article again.

So if my experience is anything to go by you will get your taste and smell senses back in due course, once your body has overcome the effects of covid. You just have to keep working at improving your health.

I'm sure we all wish you the very best in your recovery.
I've heard other reports that the vaccine, for some people, has a significant impact on the effects of long covid.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Afternoon all, Just after some advice or helpful comments. I suffered from COVID-19 back in Sep, didn't have a particularly good time of it and was bed-ridden for two weeks (which I can't remember too much about) and house-bound for another 8. Although my doctor was concerned, she didn't think I needed hospitalisation, much to my relief. However, I lost all sense of taste and smell and, although it is now nearly 6 months later, I only have about 20% (in my opinion) of my senses back. Has anyone had the same issue and are there any recommendations out there on how to improve your senses?

Besides the above I am nearly fit and well. Still can't run the same distances I used to and am slightly out of breath when climbing stairs, but I am mentally sound! I know there are many people in a more severe position than I am in and my heart goes out to them. Keep safe one and all and remember that even when the lockdown is relaxed, it is at this point you need to take even more care of yourself!
And people keep saying it's not serious,,,or worse still it's a hoax,,,Hope you get your taste back soon,,BUSBY.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I realised on Friday that I’d loss my sense of smell completely and my sense of taste is diminished.

Wonder if that means I’ve had covid or that I’ve got it?

Or if something else has caused it.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My mate was telling me the other day he lost his sense of smell and taste in September, he just felt a bit under the weather for a few days. Even now everything smells like coffee powder and he can't stomach some foods.

Boris7 sounds like you've got it. Remember 1/3 of people have no symptoms 👍

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
My husband lost his sense of smell years ago - not to do with Covid. He was welding his Land Rover & set fire to the insulation- a good lungful of that will kill off your smell receptors apparently (he was lucky as it produces hydrogen cyanide!). Anyway, my point is he was months before he became aware he couldn’t smell anything! At least it sounds as if there is hope to get smell & taste back eventually after Covid. I do hope so, because, although it doesn’t bother Paul too much, it’s not very nice!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Where has @Boris7‘s post gone?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I realised on Friday that I’d loss my sense of smell completely and my sense of taste is diminished.

Maybe get a test? You should be isolating, as it is a classic sign of Covid, even with no other symptoms!

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
My husband lost his sense of smell years ago - not to do with Covid. He was welding his Land Rover & set fire to the insulation- a good lungful of that will kill off your smell receptors apparently (he was lucky as it produces hydrogen cyanide!). Anyway, my point is he was months before he became aware he couldn’t smell anything! At least it sounds as if there is hope to get smell & taste back eventually after Covid. I do hope so, because, although it doesn’t bother Paul too much, it’s not very nice!
TBH I suspect Ive had this a while, SWMBO complained about a smell in the car, some time ago and I poo pood it, week before last I made a chilli and complained it wasn’t hot enough even though my nose was running.

Not felt ill for a moment

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
BBC News - Covid-19 parosmia: 'Public toilets smell nice to me now'

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Post #9? I can see it

Boris7 I agree with Stonemags76 get a test - if it's positive then stay home & don't risk spreading it to others. If it's negative then talk to your gp(y)
Debs, I’ve been staying home for nearly a year.

Only get close to SWMBO. ☹️

I‘ll call the Quack in the morning

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I've heard other reports that the vaccine, for some people, has a significant impact on the effects of long covid.
Negative or positive, as we have both had occasional extreme tiredness starting around a month following vaccination . We suffered Covid in December and had been recovering well.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only

Get a test! Easy enough now. I had the lateral one plus the antibody (blood) test. Both negative. Had jab about 3 weeks ago.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Debs, I’ve been staying home for nearly a year.

Only get close to SWMBO. ☹️

I‘ll call the Quack in the morning
But does swmbo go out? She could be asymptomatic 🤷‍♀️ & passed it to you. Glad you will ring the Drs, let us know how you go on pls.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
But does swmbo go out? She could be asymptomatic 🤷‍♀️ & passed it to you. Glad you will ring the Drs, let us know how you go on pls.
No SWMBO also stays home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back