Covered Winter Storage - SE Birmingham / Coventry Area (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
Looking at the possibility of covered winter storage, SE Birmingham toward Coventry Area if anyone knows of any waiting lists to go on please? I'm not sure I could cope watching the van sit on the drive getting covered in rain and snow.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Not seen anything recently, there was a place on the Tyburn Road in Aston, but they seem to have gone. I think you may need to look further south, possibly Evesham sort of distance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Looking at the possibility of covered winter storage, SE Birmingham toward Coventry Area if anyone knows of any waiting lists to go on please? I'm not sure I could cope watching the van sit on the drive getting covered in rain and snow.
I had our motorhome stored indoors at Alicante Airport, Spain, for two winters - 2018/19 & 2019/20 and would have continued the arrangement but for the pandemic.

I was very happy with it secure inside there and it was well looked after, with the hook-up plugged in every so often to condition the batteries. We were generally flying down every couple of weeks anyway to use it most months - but all of that has ended... for now.

Although we've just about got space on the drive at home, because we acquired an extra vehicle last year I decided to store the van four miles away. It was outdoors and although perfectly fine, I'd have preferred it indoors. This winter it will stay at home, so I can keep a close eye on it, charge the batteries when I want. And easily take it for a run any time the weather looks nice. All vehicles are better being used from time to time, rather than simply standing.

Hope you get sorted, otherwise consider keeping it at home. (y)

OP
OP
davida71uk
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
Hi mikebeaches, thanks. That sounds ideal in Spain, far more advanced than the UK ;) The van is on our driveway currently, plugged in, clean and - for now - dry. The UK winters can be so weird at times. They can be mild, mild and wet, cold, cold, wet and freezing, we can never guess on what will happen. The only reason I am looking for covered (even a car port type cover) is that if the winter is terrible at least it will be sheltered from the worst weather. I can remove the leisure batteries and bring them home to leave trickle charged. I would just prefer to not have to look at it sitting on the driveway in pouring rain or snow. Yes we will try and use if over the winter but I don't think the trips will be that regular.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi mikebeaches, thanks. That sounds ideal in Spain, far more advanced than the UK ;) The van is on our driveway currently, plugged in, clean and - for now - dry. The UK winters can be so weird at times. They can be mild, mild and wet, cold, cold, wet and freezing, we can never guess on what will happen. The only reason I am looking for covered (even a car port type cover) is that if the winter is terrible at least it will be sheltered from the worst weather. I can remove the leisure batteries and bring them home to leave trickle charged. I would just prefer to not have to look at it sitting on the driveway in pouring rain or snow. Yes we will try and use if over the winter but I don't think the trips will be that regular.
Yes, @davida71uk understand where you're coming from.

But as said, if you can't find any undercover storage and you've got room at home I'd keep it there.

As you suggested, get a dose of really severe weather - hurricane force winds for example, and a roof light gets blown off or damaged, you'd be in a position to effect quick temporary repairs, saving the interior of your van.

Hope you manage to find somewhere inside. (y)

OP
OP
davida71uk
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
So we found storage which is good news. The question I am pondering is whether to remove the x2 leisure batteries and have them in the garage on a charger as the van will be under barn roof so the solar panel isn't getting any direct sunlight (in the UK in winter :LOL:). Should I remove them and put them on a trickle charger in the garage?

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
So we found storage which is good news. The question I am pondering is whether to remove the x2 leisure batteries and have them in the garage on a charger as the van will be under barn roof so the solar panel isn't getting any direct sunlight (in the UK in winter :LOL:). Should I remove them and put them on a trickle charger in the garage?
I would.

Mar 10, 2021
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Hi I am looking for the same can you tell me the storage site as I am interested in storing my van over the winter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back