COVER FOR FIAT BONNET GRILLES. (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I rang the lovely chap at "Silver Screens" where we got out 2nd hand screen cover and asked about a bonnet grill cover for our 2014 Fiat.
His words were "Why waste money buying one when you can make one " ??
He suggested buying a bit of bubble wrap (Small bubbles) big enough to go from the top of the screen down nearly to the bottom of the bonnet and big enough to cover the front door front "shuts".
THEN put the silver screen on top as normal , which holds the bubble wrap in place.
I then got some round fridge magnets and put them all round the lower edge to hold the exposed edge of the bubble wrap down...
The wiper arms obviously have to be under both the bubble wrap and the silver screen.
So to hold down the lower edge of the centre of the silver screen, I got some soft string, passed through the loop on the bottom of the S. Screen (that normaly goes round the wiper arm) and tied it off to the lower radiator grill bars..
Not a DROP of rain inside the bonnet !! Happy man !!
Mitch.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I actually make magnetic covers for the bonnet grills. I originally designed them for my own van but so many people asked me about them I decided to sell them. I just use eBay to sell them and donate money to Marie Currie.

A link would be useful please.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
He suggested buying a bit of bubble wrap (Small bubbles) big enough to go from the top of the screen down nearly to the bottom of the bonnet and big enough to cover the front door front "shuts".
THEN put the silver screen on top as normal , which holds the bubble wrap in place.
I bet that's fun when it's blowing a hoolie, have you tried it yet ? I'm toying with going to TaylorMade, because SS don't seem to do the bonnet extension for new models.

The wiper arms obviously have to be under both the bubble wrap and the silver screen....
Do the wipers not go over the Silver Screen, to help hold it in place ?

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I wanted to keep leaves AND the rain out of the "gulley" at the base of the screen as well.
But I DO like the magnetic grille covers as Wiljoy sells..
Good man.
Mitch.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Yes, I have Taylormade - couldn't be bothered with the bubblewrap solution I'm afraid!!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Yes its been on for 10 weeks.

Sorry, I didn't mean the screen itself, I thought trying to hold such a large sheet of bubble wrap in place, in very windy conditions, long enough to enable you to get the screen over the top, might be problematic ?

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I actually make magnetic covers for the bonnet grills. I originally designed them for my own van but so many people asked me about them I decided to sell them. I just use eBay to sell them and donate money to Marie Currie.

Just bought a pair of these covers. They look great for keeping snow, etc., out of the vents if I don't put the Taylor Made on.(y)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Just bought a pair of these covers. They look great for keeping snow, etc., out of the vents if I don't put the Taylor Made on.(y)
Pleased they do the job.I tried them on my motor homes but never thought of selling them . I've now sold over 50 pairs without ANY complaints so I'm very happy everyone is satisfied . This year I've send some to New Zealand .

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

@wiljoy

Covers received today, they are perfect - thank you for the rapid dispatch. (y)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Silly question... but why do you need a bonnet grille cover (and so do we need one?)

Many of these Sevel built cabs have water ingress issues & some suffer from consequential water ingress into the gearbox :eek: as a result of rain dripping through the bonnet grilles & the scuttle.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Silly question... but why do you need a bonnet grille cover (and so do we need one?)
As you will be aware, the grill(s) in the bonnet supply air for the cab heating system. Now of coarse, water gets in as well, so many manufacturers made the air box watertight, and at it's lowest point, fitted a drain off pipe, however, many of these pipes hang directly over the gearbox breather.......:Eeek: and so, you can develop a situation where water gets into the gearbox, emulsifying the oil, which then rusts the gear bearings and carriers, which means that one day, your happily smooching down the road, all smiles, under a lovely summer sun, when *BANG*:cry::cry:

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I did Techno's "mod" to the scuttle AND fitted two smaller drain pipes to the air-box to lead the water away BELOW the G/Box.
Dry so far.
Mitch.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If you cant wait Toots 4 x Cocktail umbrellas in each side work well

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
If anyone requires a pair of my magnetic bonnet grill covers please pm me. After my heart attack in France earlier this year we've decided to have our first winter away. I'm back early March so can contact all interested funders then. I am going to Villasol for a few weeks then to Marjal at Crevilente . If anyone is going out there I can bring them with me but will need to know before this Sunday .
Wilf

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
If anyone requires a pair of my magnetic bonnet grill covers please pm me. After my heart attack in France earlier this year we've decided to have our first winter away. I'm back early March so can contact all interested funders then. I am going to Villasol for a few weeks then to Marjal at Crevilente . If anyone is going out there I can bring them with me but will need to know before this Sunday .
Wilf
Thanks Wilf. I only need one, to fit the early Ducato, and I have managed to pick one up this afternoon. (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I wish that my old Transit 06 model had a cover, reason 1 it leaked down the screen into the engine compartment and the electronic injectors sat in a lake across the head. reason 2 the recirculating valve on the heater opens wide when the engine was off and the hurricane through the heater froze us stiff in cold weather overcoming the Truma heating. The FART models just dropped water into the gearbox.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back