covenants banning parking of motorhome on driveway (2 Viewers)

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
We want to move house so that we can have bigger drive to park MH. Yesterday after a house viewing we were told that there was a covenant banning the parking of caravans , motorhomes etc. Anyone had this problem?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Many houses do - ours is 40 years old and has the same. Apparently put in place to stop builders staying on site after the work had been done - or something like that.

I was told by our solicitor that it would be difficult to enforce - even more difficult if the motorhome or caravan was not causing an obstruction or blocking light etc.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
covenants can apparently only be enforced by the person who original placed the covenant on the deed or a direct descendant. Going to court to get a covenant removed apparently is extremely expensive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
My covanant was put in place in 1977 - no caravans.
But when I checked with my local solicitor, she said that it would be really difficult to enforce,
moreso, as several neighbours have caravans and motorhomes on their front.

Some of the more expensive/upmarket areas also have a no workvan covenant, which I have heard of being enforced by the selling agents.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Same here - covenant in place around our and neighbouring houses as well. No caravans, boats or chickens. All of those around here.......

We did check to make sure that the neighbours were ok with us parking the van on the drive before we hot the first one. No issues.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
The key point to establish is who is the beneficiary of the covenant. Sometimes it is the original builder/developer, but sometimes its also includes other owners on the estate. If its the former its only to keep the estate looking good while they sell the rest of the houses, once the estate has been complete there are not interested. However if its the later then any owner can enforce it at any time. Whether the courts would consider the breach of the covenant sufficiently serious to grant an injunction is another matter.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
These covenants are often put in by the developers so the houses look pretty while they are still trying to sell them. For example if they build two houses next to each other, sell one and the new owner puts a huge MH on the drive they may struggle to sell the second one. As others have said you can probably ignore it as the original covenant owner would probably now struggle to prove any financial loss.

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I had the same experience, however, my solicitor told me that the covenant only remains in force as long as the builder of the property remains in business. If he retires the covenant dies. If however he sells his business to another builder and he continues to operate, then the covenant remains in force, but probably not enforceable.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As a Rufty Tufty, Freeloading, Offsite Parking, Full Timing Tosser (but never been asked to move on) this thread once again draws my attention to my own rule one.

Houses and Motorhomes don't get on with each other.

It appears that sometimes they don't get on even when you are the owner of BOTH!

JJ :cool:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
When in 2009 we bought our current bungalow which was built in 1997 we were told,at the last moment by our solicitor, that the builders had put a covenant on it to say no caravans and he suggested we drop the purchase..... I was not amused.

The builder is still in existence, so a quick phone call to them and the covenant was confirmed as still holding.

However, fortunately we have space alongside the bungalow and they were happy for us to park our m/h there so long as it was behind the building line and closed gates.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
A covenant to stop you parking a motorhome on your own drive always seems daft to me , as long as it's taxed etc you could park it on the road outside of the house and upset people quite ok.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Modern covenants, re caravans, MHs and work vans are taken out for the whole development including roads

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Surely once the road is adopted by the council for maintenance etc it's nothing to do with the builders. It just seems odd you pay a lot of money for a house and you are told what you can do with it just as if you was renting it. Still it's a strange world.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Surely once the road is adopted by the council for maintenance etc it's nothing to do with the builders. It just seems odd you pay a lot of money for a house and you are told what you can do with it just as if you was renting it. Still it's a strange world.
Not quite. You are actually told what you can/can't do before buying. If people buy knowing the restrictions then that is their decision. I'm pretty sure few (if any) people are actually forced to buy a particular property.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Simply buy a house that predates the internal combustion engine!
No covenants, no problems!!!!!::bigsmile:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I agree nobody forces you to buy a house , just strange that's all. Still I can hardly see the police coming round if it's in the road or on your drive.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

It's not the police that will be interested, If neighbours object they could take legal action to make you comply with the covenant. Not likely but possible

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes , I just find it strange that a public road can be subject to somebody's covenants. We live and learn.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes , I just find it strange that a public road can be subject to somebody's covenants. We live and learn.
Public roads normally aren't covered by the covenant (though on road parking of certain vehicles is restricted on some council estates). Restrictions normally apply to the curtilage of the property.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
There,s a covenant about caravans in our deeds, whether or not it's still enforceable or not I wouldn,t know and care less. But, apart from loading/unloading for our trips and even though the neighbours don't mind at all, there's no way I would leave the van on the drive. For one, it advertises if we're away or not.
And as for parking in the road outside you should realise nobody has the 'right' to park anywhere on public roads; provided your vehicle is not causing an obstruction it's presence is usually 'tolerated'. But most modern estate roads are simply not wide enough for normal traffic, far less the majority of motorhomes. Although you still see them.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Your right about the roads not being wide enough, dust carts , delivery drivers, and us have to drive on the pavement. Have been told that's ok as it's not against the law to drive on the pavement. If you can get through or past by driving on the pavement then it's not an obstruction, and that was the police who told me that.o

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
our estate actually has a covenant that says you cannot erect a TV ARIEL as it was all piped TV. Was enforced for a few years but then came SKY DISHES and apparently they were not classes a TV ARIELS !!!! so not enforceable.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm pretty certain our covenant specifies if it's 'not registered as a motor vehicle' or something similar, but as the drive is too short to keep it there it doesn't really matter anyway. We park it across the garden for a few days before or after holidays but to be honest I wouldn't want it there long term, let alone what the neighbours might think.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a covenant like that on our house but the beneficiary of the covenant is a Company which has long been defunct so I would happily breach it with impunity.

Well I would if I could fit the motorhome on the drive.:frowny:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
How would anyone know if a neighbours house had a covenant.. Is it a public record?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back