covenants banning parking of motorhome on driveway (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I had a strange covenant on a house I wanted to buy as a small care home; all the residents had to be related, of one family. Obviously my 3 residents wouldn't be related.
It wasn't a very old covenant. My solicitor contacted the person who made it ( the builders,) they agreed to remove it and I think it cost me about £350.

There's one on this house---£4.10.00 to some unknown person, long dead. Previous owners had never paid it. Solicitor told me it can only be claimed for 7 years unpaid, so maximum would be £32.

Worth asking if it can be lifted, do other neighbours have same.

You can do a search online for other properties but it costs each time.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My old house had a covenant dating back to the early 1800s to the effect that I couldn't build a church on it.:shake:
Just as well I didn't want to. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
My father bought a new house back in the 1970's. The people who moved into the new house next door put a caravan on their drive which adjoined Dad's house and the van was about all you could see from my parents side window. Dad's dead now but I know that he enforced the covenant at his own cost and presumably got the builders approval or they had gone bust by then, I can't remember. The caravan had to be moved and put in storage as he went to court and won!

Covenants can be enforced if there is the will and the money to do it!

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Just had the Deeds to my house varied. I have been granted planning permission to build another 3 bedroomed attached house. As it is an ex-council house there were covenants stating that only one dwelling and only one vehicle could be parked. It cost about £500 for the deed to be varied. It now states two vehicles to each property but only cars and small vans.
I must remember not to park my motorhome here any more!!!!!
On the estate there must be hundreds of properties breaching the covenants with large vans, caravans and motorhomes.
It seems it is a money making scheme for the council when they get involved.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Same here - covenant in place around our and neighbouring houses as well. No caravans, boats or chickens. All of those around here.......

We did check to make sure that the neighbours were ok with us parking the van on the drive before we hot the first one. No issues.

Or ducks...........................:sneaky:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We want to move house so that we can have bigger drive to park MH. Yesterday after a house viewing we were told that there was a covenant banning the parking of caravans , motorhomes etc. Anyone had this problem?
Interestingly to be honest wouldn't you be be a little pissed off if your new neighbor moved in next door and proceeded to park their 6metre plus motorhome in their driveway and blocking the light into say your kitchen, (I'm thinking Bungalow) or whatever, I find it odd that someone can do this yet where we live you can't errect a fence more than 1.8 meter's high:)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can't keep fowl either. Or pigs. My daughters first house had a covenant preventing her from selling alcohol or using the house as a brothel. It used to be owned by the Salvation Army. Fortunately she wanted to do neither.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
covenant preventing her from selling alcohol or using the house as a brothel.

That's probably what the Sally Army used it for in the first place!!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My daughters first house had a covenant preventing her from selling alcohol or using the house as a brothel. It used to be owned by the Salvation Army.

I can understand the Salvation Army's objection to alcohol, but what have they got against broth?

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We have a Covenant on our House, wording something like , no Caravans to park on the property that can be seen from the roadway, or parking on roads, no TV Ariels or Sat/dishes, Commercial vans of a certain weight,no changing the Fence lines, or planting by the Builders, I have done all of these, no problems, The only problem I had was around 8 years ago when I made parking provision in the side garden giving access to the rear garden for the MH a neighbour who could see it from the back windows of is house complained to the local council :(, they had a look but I recieved a letter stating it was nothing to do with them (y), I did move the MH round to the front drive as at the time I couldn't get a kerb drop because the road had not yet been adopted by the council, and driving over the pavement to access the parking could have been trouble, If the little pillock :whistle: had objected again. Pete (y)(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Off topic but I have some horrible neighbours at the bottom of my road . They have been nothing but trouble for some of the old people on my road.

Anyway chavvy Dad is in the course of erecting a huge garage or shed at the bottom of his garden which I am pretty sure he would need PP for but I know he hasn't even applied for it.

Just waiting for him to finish it and paint it then I might give the Council a call.:D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm feeling lucky reading some of these posts.

Before we bought our first van we checked the deeds and found no covenants. We also mentioned to the neighbours that we were thinking of buying a van and they were almost as enthusiastic as we were :)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
It is all so well and good to keep your van outside your house but when it is not there it also advertises the fact that you are away to everyone including the burglars .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is all so well and good to keep your van outside your house but when it is not there it also advertises the fact that you are away to everyone including the burglars .
Only if burglars come round every day to check on where vans are kept :)

An alarm, CCTV and - above all - good neighbours mean we are not concerned :)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We have to pay £1 to our local church every year. :whistle: Don't know why and neither us, or any of our neighbours asked, ever pay it.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have to pay £1 to our local church every year. :whistle: Don't know why and neither us, or any of our neighbours asked, ever pay it.
There are cases of covenants on properties whereby the property owner is liable to pay for their local church renovations and I believe have been known to cause bankruptcy of the home owners when this has been invoked.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There are cases of covenants on properties whereby the property owner is liable to pay for their local church renovations and I believe have been known to cause bankruptcy of the home owners when this has been invoked.

There's something like this on our house. When we bought the house the solicitor insisted we take out insurance against it. Something like £36 for 25 years.

OP
OP
P

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Thanks for all replies. Further investigation shows that the covenant also bans sheds and as there are sheds in every garden we may just go ahead as due to size of drive it wouldn't cause anyone any problems. Got to sell our house first though!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!