Couple Robbed at Spanish Aire (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have just read a story about a couple who were robbed in Spain after parking up for the night at a Spanish Aire on a peaje route South of Barcelona. They were sufficiently careful to strap the cab doors together, but the elderly lady woke to see an intruder leaving the Motorhome through the habitation door after he had just stolen her handbag from a cupboard that was just inches away from the sleeping couple. The couple lost all their credit cards passports and cash. I understand that the area was well lit and that other motorhomes were parked up in the same place. This may have given the couple a false sense of security.

I do not want to debate whether we should sleep in Aires and public places as this has been done to death and people are entrenched in their view about this, but, we can all learn a few simple lessons from this incident.
  1. In situations like this robbers will know that the vehicle is occupied. This means that they will be high on adrenaline and will be expecting trouble as they break in. If, when you wake, the intruder is already in your motorhome the shock of this will ensure that most people (whether they think so or not) will suffer such a large adrenal dump that they will not be able to react effectively or speedily enough to really do anything about it and they risk getting hurt if they try to. Because of this it is imperative that you defend your vehicle enough so that robbers cannot easily effect entry. If you can delay their entry enough, then you have a much higher chance of waking and getting your act together and responding to the incident effectively. If the first thing you know about it, is that someone is there in the dark with you, you will probably lose.
  2. Habitation doors are the easiest doors to break in to. 99% of habitation doors can be opened by a crook quicker than the owner can do it with the key! But, if you are inside they are easy to defend, you should always have at least one deadlock or bolt thrown on your habitation door when you are in. It needs to be easy to open in an emergency, but a simple well fitted bolt or two will make it much more difficult for an intruder to get in.
  3. Chains and belts between cab doors are OK but they do stop you using the very best weapon you could have in a break in attempt and that is first gear. So make sure if you use these that they do not impede your driving away. Bolts on the individual doors don't offer the same visual deterrent as the chains or belts, but are more secure. I would only attach these chains when I leave the vehicle unattended again as a visual deterrent only, do not rely on them.
  4. Have a Fat Wallet. You should always have a Fat Wallet that cannot be seen from the outside, but as soon as someone is in they should be able to see it. The Fat Wallet should be full of old credit and telephone top up cards, a couple of notes and lots of old bills and stuff. The idea being that the robber will think he is quids in, and just run with that rather than open cupboards right by your head.
  5. Never have all your valuables in one place, do not allow the loss on one bag to ruin your trip. You should always have one emergency credit card stashed in the motorhome, this will pay for fuel and essentials like ferries if you are robbed. You should always have another stashed away on one member of the family.
The chances of being robbed are very slim indeed. Tens of thousands of motorhomers holiday on the continent every year incident free, they do so without alarms and many without even the simplest security precautions. Generally speaking Europe is a very safe place; strangers are more likely to show you kindness than steal from you. There are only a few toe-rags out there, they are not intelligent, they are work-shy and almost only want easy pickings. Make them work, and they won't bother. make it easy for them and they might.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim

These reports are always sad (bad) news but excellent advice.
Motorway aires make for easy pickings and fast getaways for the scum and there is no safety in numbers or in well lit parking, they give a false sense of security and a lone petrol attendant is highly unlikely to venture forth and give aid.

On the topic of deadbolts, do you have any extra ones fitted or know if they are available specifically for RVs ?

Jim

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Deadbolts

Hi Jim

My knowledge of deadbolts is really limited but I can say that on both of the RV's that we have had - the Forest River Georgetown and the Monaco Cayman - the deadbolts have been fitted as standard. That must mean that there are spares available.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most RV's come with a good bolt, but this is weakened considerably by being openable with a key (or something!) from the outside. It depends on your door, as to what type off addition locks you can add. Especially if you have a built in mossie screen which can make fitting difficult. But regular bolts such as those shown will often do a good job with most types.

Preferably when the bolt is thrown it is flush with the inside wall and gains strength from the whole frame. If you have a fitted screen in an RV You will have to fit it in the middle and the bolt will be thrown into a hole you have drilled in the frame and then faced with a keep.

Many Euro models already come with plastic thumb turn locks and these are very effective, if you remember to use them:Cool:

Attachments

• locks2.jpg
    locks2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 255
  • locks.jpg
    locks.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 261

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Emergency phone number with English speaking staff.

Hi Jim,

very good advice.

When will people learn not to park up on motorway service areas on the Costas, it's not got the name "Bandit Country" for nothing. There are signs on some Spanish motorway stopping areas warning about the dangers of overnighting. :Eeek:

The problem got so bad a few years ago the Spanish police set up an emergency phone number with English speaking staff for tourists (902-10 21 12) offering round the clock assistance in Alicante, Barcelona, Madrid, Malaga, Seville and Valencia regions.

Don

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim

My knowledge of deadbolts is really limited but I can say that on both of the RV's that we have had - the Forest River Georgetown and the Monaco Cayman - the deadbolts have been fitted as standard. That must mean that there are spares available.

Dick

Hi Dick
Ours has the standard deadbolt, I was thinking of additional deadbolts at top and bottom, but as Jim pointed out it's not easy with the fly screen door ..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim thanks for some very useful advice. The winnies got deadlocks but you can open them from outside, so useless in my opinion. I run a chain around the grab rail and the inside door handle on both the drivers and side door, not 100% secure as you can open the door just enough to get in with some bolt croppers to cut it, and I would think that's one item the crooks might be carrying. But it keeps the wife happy.::bigsmile:

Olley

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim, you are right, the fly screen door does restrict you. You can put a bolt in the middle above your existing handle. But the throw bolt will need to go into the door frame. Its pretty solid around there so it will hold the door closed even if they have used there tools on your door locks. A small bolt correctly fitted will be more effective than you might imagine and its easily opened in an emergency.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Another thing I have just thought of Jim. You could use a good quality door chain. Have it fitted in the middle, where the hole in your screen is, with the keep securely mounted to the frame inside. If someone opens the door that chain will wake you and certainly impede a burglars progress.

Geoff

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Evesham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on & off for 20 yrs
Hi.
Rack bolts like these may get round the fly screen problem

Regards Geoff.​

Attachments

• p2338775_l.jpg
    p2338775_l.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 236

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Key access to dead bolts

Thank goodness I read this topic as I had always thought of the deadlock as being foolproof - didn't even think about the key access from the outside - how naive is that? :Sad:

Not panicking, in the least - as we only have the one door entry (no driver or passenger door) but we will now have to look at something like Jim's idea of the security chain as well as thinking of some way of locking the 'fire escape' windows which is easily removable in the dreaded event of fire...

With all the other windows we have a small but sturdy metal rod which drops between the side wall and the central locking lever to stop someone sticking a knife up through the window joint to slide the central lock open.

Many, many moons ago we had a 'forum' discussion with Olley about storing a spare key somewhere on the RV in case you lose a key whilst out of the vehicle. With the amount of security initiatives we have now built-in - the only way we could break-in would be literally that - to break-in - not an idea I relish.

Dick

mandjhumph

Free Member
Sep 21, 2007
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
Since 2004
I saw somewhere (not sure if it was on this site or not) that you can use the cheap rape alarms (the ones with the pin that pulls out) as door alarms. Fix the wrist strap with the pin to the door and the alarm piece to the frame (I think they said with velcro) and when the door is opened the pin comes out and the alarm sounds waking the occupants and hopefully scaring off the intruders.

Jane & Martyn

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Well done Jim
some food for thought there
and some jobs for the winter months
It's nice to have a security expert on hand to point us in the right direction
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Have you thought about writing a book about motorhome security Jim? It would be well recieved!:thumb:

I don't just mean alarms (obviously that would be easy! read my web site :Smile:) But the whole aspect of personal security when travelling at home or abroad.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have you thought about writing a book about motorhome security Jim? It would be well recieved!:thumb:

I don't just mean alarms (obviously that would be easy! read my web site :Smile:) But the whole aspect of personal security when travelling at home or abroad.

We really do need to find a smiley with his tongue in his cheek. ::bigsmile:

M

Mark1

Deleted User
Spanish Break-in

After having the van broken into during the night in Spain I have now fitted an "Approach" alarm, in addition to the vehicle alarm and internal lockable dead locks on all three doors {without external keys}.
The approach alarm consists of two "Ring" PIR awning lights, one on each side, which illuminate when anyone approaches within 3 metres. Each alarm is connected to a small buzzer alarm {Sold for warning of 'lights left on' etc., by Maplin's and others}.
Both these alarms are loud enough to wake even the most 'out-of-it' sleeper, and the hope is that the lights coming on will dissuade intruders, but being awake will give us occupants the chance to drive away. The last thing anyone should do is to try to defend their possessions from these yobs, it could prove to be the last thing you do!

M

Mark1

Deleted User
Use of Rape Alarm

Yes, I have this added security, but it is a belt and braces scene because the vehicle alarm in all it's glorious sound will be activated if the door is opened!
Just make sure that you have a vehicle alarm which can be set when the van is occupied, and that it covers all doors and locker hatches.

The best security is to be fully aware of the problem and to spend a little time and money to combat it.

Mark1.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
A very good and timely post.

I have two measures of security, one of which is the normal house chains that you get to put on your front doors at home. I have these fitted to my garage doors as they both offer full access to the MH and the children asleep in the bunks.

I have a door strap made by myself, and I have two squeeler rape alarms attached to the doors. on the habitation doors I only have two plastic turning locks which probably in hindsight are not that great. So I will review them.

On the subject of adrenalin,,, I remember being burgled when living in Coventry, I heard some one at night, came to the top of my landing to see some one there, switched the light on shouted and he legged it , I then gave chase running on pure adrenelin, I chased him for over 5 mins through the streets in the dead of night. After about 5 mins although still chasing I suddenly thought to myself, what am I going to do if I catch him? therefore why am I chasing him? When the police came the y said I was MAD to be chasing him.But it's just when confronted you don't know what you will do.:Eeek:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Good post with some sound advice. maybe we could have a meet with security as the theme and check out how good our vans are against others. Mines just got the basics it came with which is probably inadequate I would certainly be up for it, mind you any excuse for a knees up.

On the subject of chasing burglars. When I owned the yard we were always getting robbed, so when I caught a guy late one night I gave chase. Unfortunatly I caught the toe-rag and wrestled him to the ground and held on to him while waiting for the police to arrive. Although I manhandled him I did not hit or beat him although I wanted to and was very aggresive towards him as you would expect.
A couple of days later the police arrested me as the guy had accused me of using excessive force to restrain him. To cut a long story short I ended up having to drop the charges against him as part of a deal to stop the police charging me, even though he'd broken into my property late at night and damaged the fence and the office doors.

Would I give chase again, probably as adrenaline takes over, but it's not a good idea you can't win and what if they're carrying a weapon don't forget they're pumped up as well.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We always set the motorhome alarm system, which covers all the doors including the habitation door. The habitation door is also locked. So far, we have been lucky and not suffered a break in.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We always set the motorhome alarm system, which covers all the doors including the habitation door. The habitation door is also locked. So far, we have been lucky and not suffered a break in.

I note that you have a 656, I supose this is with rear bunks and garage as is mine. What door security do you use for the rear garage doors? I think they are very vulnerable especially as thats where the kids sleep. I have added locks to mine. Even with an alarm system I would not trust it. They are extremely easy to disable when the doors open and can be done so with a plastic ruler.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Good post with some sound advice. maybe we could have a meet with security as the theme and check out how good our vans are against others. Mines just got the basics it came with which is probably inadequate I would certainly be up for it, mind you any excuse for a knees up.
On the subject of chasing burglars. When I owned the yard we were always getting robbed, so when I caught a guy late one night I gave chase. Unfortunatly I caught the toe-rag and wrestled him to the ground and held on to him while waiting for the police to arrive. Although I manhandled him I did not hit or beat him although I wanted to and was very aggresive towards him as you would expect.
A couple of days later the police arrested me as the guy had accused me of using excessive force to restrain him. To cut a long story short I ended up having to drop the charges against him as part of a deal to stop the police charging me, even though he'd broken into my property late at night and damaged the fence and the office doors.

Would I give chase again, probably as adrenaline takes over, but it's not a good idea you can't win and what if they're carrying a weapon don't forget they're pumped up as well.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
Great idea. Perhaps we could invite the local toe rags to give us some advice and test our systems out:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I note that you have a 656, I supose this is with rear bunks and garage as is mine. What door security do you use for the rear garage doors? I think they are very vulnerable especially as thats where the kids sleep. I have added locks to mine. Even with an alarm system I would not trust it. They are extremely easy to disable when the doors open and can be done so with a plastic ruler.

Hi

Ours is an 06 model with 3 locks as standard, which are always locked. The door at the head end has an extra bolt on it that is used when sleeping as the top and bottom locks that side are unlocked. This so we have an escape route in the eveny of an emergency - read fire - in the living area. The habitation door is connected to the cab alarm so if it is opened when set will activate the alarm.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Sad: I just thought I should report that we set off from Camping Almafra on Saturday the 15th of December to head North. Visited our friends and Wild camped in the Campo. No problems so far. Sunday, heading North again. Got to the North of Barcelona and Wild camped in a rather rough area just before Girona. Monday woke up, Had no problems. Drove north into France. Wild camped overnight in an Aire just south of Clermont Ferrand. No problems. We then Wild camped on the car park on the 18th (my 64th Birthday) where young thieves have a habit of stealing goodies from Motorhomes et al. Once again. No problems, except we woke up to find a pool of diesel under the engine bay. Just a matter of taking off the Injector bypass feed pipes and trimming them to make a good seal. So? We spent 4 days travelling and Wild camping on aires and other bad areas. We were NOT gassed, robbed, or interfered with in any shaoe or form. :Sad:

:RollEyes: Sorry. :ROFLMAO:

:Smile: Merry Christmas everyone. :winky:\

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back