Couple of question - draft through cab somewhere and french tolls (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Firstly we are away in our Marquis 175 and it’s a tad windy. We can feel a draft coming from the cab somewhere yet we have closed all vents in the cab. Any ideas?
ALSO we will be travelling from the tunnel to Alsace region and will use toll roads partly. Can you advise about pre payment for tolls as my arms aren’t long enough to reach the pay machines and I have to get out of MH to pay. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We always found coach builds draughty around cab areas
As for tolls get a Sanef toll tag saves a lot of hassle if you’re booking tunnel they have an offer on tags.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Firstly we are away in our Marquis 175 and it’s a tad windy. We can feel a draft coming from the cab somewhere yet we have closed all vents in the cab. Any ideas.

Change your air settings from outside (fresh) air to internal ( recirculated)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We've got a RHD and the wife has short arms, I got fed up climbing out to do the deed and got a Sanef tag, one of the best things I ever did for touring.

Hymie

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are open vents under the seats in the floor, through the seatbelt mount and in the edges of the doors as standard. white duct tape works well

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My a class is draughty in the cab too so isn't just coachbuilt ...all vents closed and on recircle and still draughty
The heater to the feet is rubbish too the only decent heat I get is from the face vents on dash.

And I just avoid toll roads ...ive not been on one yet and the other roads are more scenic

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can you advise about pre payment for tolls as my arms aren’t long enough to reach the pay machines and I have to get out of MH to pay.

You can't "pre pay" tolls. The only option you have is a payment tag. This acts as an automatic payment method.

More detail here: https://www.saneftolling.co.uk

We have one and it works. Can't say anything more really. It doesn't save you any money, it actually costs a little bit more more (€12 or so per year) once you factor in the charges but for convenience it can't be beaten

If you have a search around you can usually get the application fees waived. Eurotunnel usually have this offer running.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And I just avoid toll roads ...ive not been on one yet and the other roads are more scenic

That's fine if you have unlimited time and no particular destination in mind. We're not all retired though.

If you have a set timescale and a specific place to be then the minor roads just take far too long.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got to say that even if we did have unlimited time I don't see much appeal in driving through every village I can find and stopping to take pictures of every roundabout I come across.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That's fine if you have unlimited time and no particular destination in mind. We're not all retired though.

If you have a set timescale and a specific place to be then the minor roads just take far too long.
I'm a long way from being retired :)

Most of the roads I've been on run alongside the toll roads often joining back on to them between the chargeable areas.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Most of the roads I've been on run alongside the toll roads often joining back on to them between the chargeable areas.

With much lower speed limits.

If your trip is only a week or two weeks then wasting time avoiding tolls makes no sense to me whatsoever. I want to get where I'm going as quickly as possible. I've seen plenty of French countryside. It really isn't all that interesting.

If you're away for 6 months then maybe but even then I don't think I would bother.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

While I agree with your last sentence, they are slower, full of traffic, tractors, trucks etc. Get yourself on a nice toll road which is empty, multi lane and you have time to enjoy the views.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
You can't "pre pay" tolls. The only option you have is a payment tag. This acts as an automatic payment method.

More detail here: https://www.saneftolling.co.uk

We have one and it works. Can't say anything more really. It doesn't save you any money, it actually costs a little bit more more (€12 or so per year) once you factor in the charges but for convenience it can't be beaten

If you have a search around you can usually get the application fees waived. Eurotunnel usually have this offer running.

Or unless you're likely to be in France for most of the year, the ATMB Liber-t Evasion tag, exactly the same in use as Sanef, but €1.60 service charge per month only for any month in which you actually incur toll fees, plus the toll fees themselves. Register a currency conversion fee free card for payment, such as Halifax Clarity or Nationwide Select and you will pay no more than the current currency conversion rate for tolls plus €1.60 in any month you actually use it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Under the van just behind the passenger seat there are a couple of vents. Block these up and it should help with the draft.

Attachments

• Cab vents 01.jpg
    Cab vents 01.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Cab vents 02.jpg
    Cab vents 02.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 72

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Firstly we are away in our Marquis 175 and it’s a tad windy. We can feel a draft coming from the cab somewhere yet we have closed all vents in the cab. Any ideas?
ALSO we will be travelling from the tunnel to Alsace region and will use toll roads partly. Can you advise about pre payment for tolls as my arms aren’t long enough to reach the pay machines and I have to get out of MH to pay. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sounds like the @The Cruisers are already on their way and so I’m afraid it’s too late to get a tag. You have to set up a direct debit and they will only post the tag to your home address i believe.
Something to sort out when you get home ready for your next trip.
As for which one, I favour ATMB as it’s only acharge for the month in which you use it. Nice clear detailed statements accessible online .

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
only real way to stop the cab being cold is blankets from dash to floor and on the doors

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
With much lower speed limits.

If your trip is only a week or two weeks then wasting time avoiding tolls makes no sense to me whatsoever. I want to get where I'm going as quickly as possible. I've seen plenty of French countryside. It really isn't all that interesting.

If you're away for 6 months then maybe but even then I don't think I would bother.
On the 6 occasions that I've used toll roads every time I have got anywhere near a toll booth I have had to reduce speed considerably & at times stop & crawl along M25 style. Not what I want when paying . I've been in a 32km queue for a toll booth, 17kms another one & that had 24 operational booths. I've seen a 42km queue at another one going in the other direction.
Then you have the services. I'm stopping for fuel.I want to be in ,fill ,pay, Out & gone . Not have to have a second person at every one who has to go in , not only ask for the pump to be turned on but before they will do it you have to deposit a ccard or your d/licence. :mad: & even at 3am in the morning with queues waiting!
Then you have the ones where they are now rotating the whole station 180º so that you cannot enter straight in but have to turn in & face the other way. Then when leaving you now have to turn right crossing the traffic entering , if you can & at the height of the tourist season in July/August it's a nightmare. I assumed they were doing it to stop driveaways as it was only reason I could see for it . These were all up the eastern side of France on way to Germany.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I try to avoid Toll roads, A) because they are generally less interesting, B) Why should I pay again for something I have already paid for multiple times in general taxation. C) Because every issue I have ever had, seems to have been with a "toll" booth type access, e.g. Car parks, Bridges, All seem to need the exact change I don`t happen to have!, or the booths are too high or too low or on the "wrong" side!. I use the Humber Bridge one. But then I have a free pass for that and just drive through the "tag".

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Won't join the argument about toll roads, will just say if you're in a rush they're useful. Personally we never are so don't.

As for your draft problem there are louvred vents in the edges of the cab doors, where they close. I've taped them up and the drafts disappeared. Also have a look at the chassis under the passenger seat, there may be a large circular hole which is supposed to be sealed with a rubber bung, a leftover from the RHD conversion.

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
French toll roads are excellent and streets ahead of the M20 for example. We use them when we need to but in general stick to the N roads, it depends on your time scale. Baguettes on motorways are expensive and so is the fuel, N roads are more scenic and it’s easier to find a supermarket for cheaper fuel. Motorways will get you to a destination more quickly obviously. Up to you, each to their own.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Single glazed cab area always cold and not easy to prevent other than a blanket screen as mentioned or if on hook up a small fan heater aimed into cab.
The truma heating is vented into the cab and around the screen in the
a class Hymer eliminating the cold spot.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Motorway fuel is 10% more than the old roads and they make you pay loads to use them as I found out on the way to Spain keep off long bits and use the bypass parts to avoid the bolttlenecks in cities and towns only. In Spain I paid as much in tolls as the fuel used ,UNTIL I found out how good the non toll roads are.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back