Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Hi had a couple of speeding fines today from France. What I am trying to find out it the exact location of cameras or very close.
I tap the addresses into Google but it didn't show a direct point. Although it does give me an idea of area. Any idea kind people

Now have another problem file won't upload to big any idea never had trouble before

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
With all the posts re tickets, are the French clawing in as much money as possible prior to Brexit?? They must be working overtime to scan the camera pics for British number plates.

carthorse

Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Could i ask how long ago the offence took place,i tripped a camera about 4 months ago and haven't hear anything yet can i expect a letter :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Me too. Might have got one from last August. If I get one I'll pay the fine and drive around France rather than through it.

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Let's try the letters again as you can see it was last September. I am not disputing I just want to know locations. Although I think it could be the Tunnel at Saint Marie Aux Mines. And the other one aproaching it northbound on way home.
IMG_20190314_183202.jpg
IMG_20190314_183143.jpg

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Its starting to look like with so many Funsters getting belated fines through the post, that unfortunately unless you are extremely vigilant at all times & points of your journey, we will have to build these fines into the overall cost of our holiday :eek:
It might end up being more cost effective to pay the auto route tolls, as at least the speeds remain more constant.:(
Its difficult almost impossible to prove whether we as UK drivers are being singled out,but I hope not.
Les

Appollo51

Free Member
Dec 29, 2018
Porth
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2009
My sat nav alerts me if I'm over the speed limit by 3km .I have the speed camera alert turned off on the continent .

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Its starting to look like with so many Funsters getting belated fines through the post, that unfortunately unless you are extremely vigilant at all times & points of your journey, we will have to build these fines into the overall cost of our holiday :eek:
It might end up being more cost effective to pay the auto route tolls, as at least the speeds remain more constant.:(
Its difficult almost impossible to prove whether we as UK drivers are being singled out,but I hope not.
Les

Who knows I think I read that the french reduced there speed limits last year so maybe thats why we get caught out. To be fair I am a bit heavy footed at times. So 90 Euros on last years holiday is fine by me and in the grand scheme of things is a small price to pay for all the times I havnt been caught and a lesson to pay more attention to my speed at all times.

Now then I really wanna find my locations on google maps but its just not making sense any idea please ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
looks like they use a guide speed also i.e, actual speed 83kph used speed 78kph speed limit 70kph.

although that does not ap[ear to have the same %ages as the first fine....

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I drove through France to Spain last July so I hope I am clear of it.

I am boycotting France and French products from now on in protest.

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning

hymermick

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
Have all these people that have received speeding fines from France signed up to the The French clean air stickers - called Crit'Air vignettes?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Nice one thanks a lot but i did some digging and I decided its in tunnel and my Revolut card payment almost confirms this as minutes after paying I got caught.
Just googled that tunnel its posted at a speed limit 70KPH which converted to MPH is 43.496 MPH which is pretty slow going, they not only need speed cameras in that length of Tunnel,surely they need alertness devices also, cos many would fall asleep at the wheel as its nearly 4.5 miles long.(I know there are longer tunnels, but just sayin)
Now another mission, how many accidents in last year I wonder?
Along with how much money raised on fines also.
Now I have registered and got my Crit Air Sticker, does that make it easier for them to find me over someone that hasn't registered I wonder:eek:
Les

Last edited:
OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Just googled that tunnel its posted at a speed limit 70KPH which converted to MPH is 43.496 MPH which is pretty slow going, they not only need speed cameras in that length of Tunnel,surely they need alertness devices also, cos many would fall asleep at the wheel as its nearly 4.5 miles long.(I know there are longer tunnels, but just sayin)
Now I have registered and got my Crit Air Sticker, does that make it easier for them to find me over someone that hasn't registered I wonder:eek:
Les

On the link @Sabino posted all the camera I do is there how many times it flashes etc and locations and sometimes photos . I am now thinking one was a average speed camera on the approach road. I also remember getting flashed in tunnel. So I'm pretty sure it's a fair cop although social media was full of people with French fines yesterday but I'll leave that for the conspiritists.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I dont have a problem with the fine bet your and angel on the road yourself and great fun at partys :D2

A the sort of party I attend, french letters are compulsory & I use a lot more than a couple :)

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I dont have a problem with the fine bet your and angel on the road yourself and great fun at partys

Reading the ticket it appears it was clocked at 83kph in a 70kph limit. If real speed was 83kph the vehicle speedo was probaly showing 90kph...ish. I think a fine for only 78kph is a bargain :)

Mick

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Les

I find driving through long road tunnels demands maximum concentration and as you say it is not easy to stay alert and awake. The overhead lamps become hypnotic after a few miles. I'm not surprised they put fixed speed cameras in them. In one road tunnel in Italy we were overtaken several times by reckless locals blasting past and crossing the solid white line. They don't care about any rules or safety. Oncoming HGV? Pffft.

On a slight tangent, radars-auto.com is suggesting that the majority of French drivers exceed Macron's blanket 80kph speed limits. The amount of speeding fines levied by the radar speed traps has dropped significantly. It's an interesting read for the technically minded.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Are we issuing fines to our European cousins?

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Les

I suspect the lower limit and a rash of fines were one of the straws that broke the camel's back and created the Yellow Vest protests, especially given that many have subsequently been disabled.

I suspect they thought they'd be smart and milk the public a little more but it's blown up in their face. I also think it will dampen the enthusiasm for many to now travel to France, 90kmh was quite doable, 80kmh even on a slow old car is simply too slow on most of the affected roads.

I arrived in France last year on pretty much the very day they went down to 80kmh and so assumed the police would blitz everyone as the French Police love their (your) money, marching offenders to the cashpoint machines in their eager quest for excuses to empty your bank account.

80kmh was so difficult and fiscally dangerous that I followed your idea and went on the autoroutes. I still drifted along at 55/60 as I wanted but with no danger of being 'illegal' and thereby missed out most of rural France. My reasoning was that a known toll charge was more relaxing, more fuel efficient and probably cheaper than random fines and police hold-ups.
Also as rural France is permanently 'shut' it was sadly the best place for services and breaks.

Shame, now France is the 'drive-thru' country and Spain seemed so much better, cheap, clean, efficient and the country to spend more time in and enjoy the roads more.

I have a solution to any potential future problems, both in the UK & Europe:

Don't speed and you wont get fined:)

This isn't necessarily true as you know, for the past few years I've done exactly as you suggest here, the problem is one of randomly changing speed limits - some of which are not indicated well and that of locals and peer pressure of enormous queues behind you as one causes an obstruction to traffic (which ironically is probably also illegal).

For instance a trip around London's north circular has 30, 40 and 50 limits, I'd be quite happy to trug round at 27mph but it's simply too dangerous in the 50 zones so it ends up like a 'catch-you-out' game played by the authorities where you play the sucker.

Even going to the NEC is fraught these days with 40, 50 and 40 average zones and spot checks on the route on a road that previously one could drift up at 60mph.

So far I think I've got away with it but it's constant hard work to avoid fines, then as a secondary job I have to remain safe, manage the vehicle for fuel stops etc and coming in a distant third: try to get where I wanted to go, ideally without being robbed on the way by the parasites in power.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I find driving through long road tunnels demands maximum concentration and as you say it is not easy to stay alert and awake. The overhead lamps become hypnotic after a few miles..

I find the slower you are forced to go the more mesmeric and sleepy one gets.
Then when the artificially slow limit ends a wave of tiredness can engulf you, speeds that are too slow for the conditions can be very very dangerous indeed over long distances.

I saw this happen in Norfolk - they left a huge section of 40mph on a crisp new dual carraigeway and sure enough a few miles after some driver had rammed into a solid post after falling asleep and drifting off the road. Literally killed by 'safety'.

Sep 1, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2004
Ye I got a ticket through the post paid it on line 45 Euros from Sept I cant complain I have been going to and through France for many years and I can be heavy footed I will now have to listen to my co driver!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back