Couple of faults whilst on holiday. (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Had a leak coming from the washbasin and found it here :
https://flic.kr/p/Wb5Mg4
I've applied contact adhesive and will back that up with duct tape for now, does anyone recognize this arrangement and any idea where I can get a replacement?
Also, one of the skylights seems to have stopped working. The handle has no tension and doesn't tilt the vent up anymore (I'm guessing it's been overwound). Luckily it's in the down position! Is this anything I can fix in situ, as I'm in CZ at the moment !
https://flic.kr/p/X9C2EL

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Plumbers fix PVC or ABS pipes together using 'solvent weld' glue. Easily available in plumbers/hardware/DIY shops. That would fix it permanently.

If you feel really good about fixing it, that's the fumes from the solvent.;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Looks like a Remis skylight where the wire in tube element of the mechanism has seized.. So the winder is moving but the skylight isn't..

We had that problem on an earlier van, unfortunately the replacement parts are no longer supplied by Remis (if it is the problem)...

Sod to find out with the rooflight down, happened to us with the rooflight partially up so we could access the mechanism which is in a channel on the roof side ..

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Looks like a Remis skylight where the wire in tube element of the mechanism has seized.. So the winder is moving but the skylight isn't..

We had that problem on an earlier van, unfortunately the replacement parts are no longer supplied by Remis (if it is the problem)...

Sod to find out with the rooflight down, happened to us with the rooflight partially up so we could access the mechanism which is in a channel on the roof side ..
It is a Remis skylight. Does that mean it'll have to be completely replaced??

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
It is a Remis skylight. Does that mean it'll have to be completely replaced??

When it happened to us it was recommended we replace it with a Heki? but internally it was a bit smaller so it would have left 'tide mark' where the Remis had been so we persevered and found replacement parts.. but since that time Remis have stopped making them, perhaps 2 or 3 years ago... 6 years ago they used to send you parts FOC, then they were chargeable, now nothing.

I tried to free the wire in the tube but to no avail, it was well rusted, but it may be worth a go if it only just stopped working. Getting the Perspex cover off is tricky if I remember correctly.

If you don't need to use it you could leave it shut..

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
When it happened to us it was recommended we replace it with a Heki? but internally it was a bit smaller so it would have left 'tide mark' where the Remis had been so we persevered and found replacement parts.. but since that time Remis have stopped making them, perhaps 2 or 3 years ago... 6 years ago they used to send you parts FOC, then they were chargeable, now nothing.

I tried to free the wire in the tube but to no avail, it was well rusted, but it may be worth a go if it only just stopped working. Getting the Perspex cover off is tricky if I remember correctly.

If you don't need to use it you could leave it shut..
I don't think it's rusted as it used to work fine. Probably something has snapped but I've no idea how to get inside

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Solvent weld only works on PVC

PVC solvent weld for PVC pipes, ABS solvent weld for ABS pipes. Different products.

If you are constructing a pressurized system, it matters. If not, then either will work.

Best to get the right one if you know what the pipe is made of. It will be printed or embossed on the pipe or fitting somewhere. If they only sell one, it's usually the PVC version.

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
PVC solvent weld for PVC pipes, ABS solvent weld for ABS pipes. Different products.

If you are constructing a pressurized system, it matters. If not, then either will work.

Best to get the right one if you know what the pipe is made of. It will be printed or embossed on the pipe or fitting somewhere. If they only sell one, it's usually the PVC version.
Evo Stick impact adhesive seems to have done the trick for now anyway.

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Temp repair wasn't too good and started to leak again. Will have to dismantle and try and find a replacement part. At the moment I'm going to leave the roof vent as is. It's down and safe and there are other vents in front and behind of its position.
Had a coming together with another van on a bend, which damaged the wing mirror Milenco 'cover' which I need to take care of next, but if course these are probably not available singularly :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't suppose you can get hold of a bit of inner tube can you? You could glue the 2 parts together glue the inner tube over it, and then tape it on to be safe ... should hold until you can get home and replace the part.

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Don't suppose you can get hold of a bit of inner tube can you? You could glue the 2 parts together glue the inner tube over it, and then tape it on to be safe ... should hold until you can get home and replace the part.
I'm home now . . just need to find the correct part and fix it !

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
The broken bit is called a Hose Tail and they normally have a BSP thread at one end and the connection to push on the flexible hose at the other. It looks to have snapped at the threaded bit looking at the photo but not sure. These are off the shelf at hose suppliers, most large towns have one and by taking it along will ensure you get the correct size otherwise various types for sale on Amazon by searching for hose tail - this is just one of them. https://www.amazon.co.uk/THREAD-CORRUGATED-CONNECTORS-SIZES-BSP-38MM/dp/B01BFB949U/ref=sr_1_61?ie=UTF8&qid=1502658283&sr=8-61&keywords=hose+tail

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
The broken bit is called a Hose Tail and they normally have a BSP thread at one end and the connection to push on the flexible hose at the other. It looks to have snapped at the threaded bit looking at the photo but not sure. These are off the shelf at hose suppliers, most large towns have one and by taking it along will ensure you get the correct size otherwise various types for sale on Amazon by searching for hose tail - this is just one of them. https://www.amazon.co.uk/THREAD-CORRUGATED-CONNECTORS-SIZES-BSP-38MM/dp/B01BFB949U/ref=sr_1_61?ie=UTF8&qid=1502658283&sr=8-61&keywords=hose+tail

I'll pop back to the storage place and try and get the bit off then go from there . . . I guess it's failed due to the movement of the sink (it slides back and forth to allow the shower or toilet to be used).

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Good luck. You may need to unscrew it back near the sink (hopefully it will unscrew and its not bonded), in which case you will need a hose tail to female BSP thread.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The easiest way to fix the sink drain would be to buy a new waste trap. If you look down the plughole, there will be a screw in the centre that you take out to remove the trap, there's probably a couple of rubber washers or 'o' rings involved too. Removing it might make it easier to effect a repair, but if it's a sliding sink, a repair might just fail again.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Re Remis roof light. The handle on my Remis has a rachet device. Maybe the rachet has given up the ghost? Handles are available from leisureshopdirect.
Best to first remove the inner plastic surround to access the handle. Use a thin blade, like a kitchen knife, and gently prise between roof and plastic surround all around the perimeter. The plastic surround is held in place by about 10 rubber sockets. The handle will come away with the plastic surround.
Best of luck.

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
It works (so far anyway). Didn't take much water with me (tank is close to empty) to test with so I will re-visit tomorrow after work. Had to turn on the gas and heat up some water to stick the end of the hose into (to soften a little). The trap actually unscrewed so I was able to get that end on easily (with a bit of weight on it). I've tightened up the jubilee clip so will put a few litres through it and if Ok put the fancy trim with all the little screws back on.
<crosses fingers>

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back