Couple, no ties, WLTM... (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
...a van with a fixed bed, opposite bench seats for lounging, at less than 7 metres long.

We've had our Autocruise Starburst for a year now, and have never regretted it. But we have become tired of setting up and taking down the bed every day. I know it only takes five minutes each way [I timed it!] but it seems a lot longer and we've started dreaming about a bed that just sits there, waiting to be used...

We only have 7 metres to play with, and even then it's going to be an interference fit on the drive. The only vans I've seen that come close to this are Chausson, which insist on having a dinette, with additional belted seats. Let me me frank here - we're totally selfish! We want a van for two, as luxurious as possible please. Compromises to enable anyone, including grandkids, to travel with us are not an option.

I've not seen anything that meets our needs as yet, and would appreciate it if the collective wisdom of forum Funsters could come up with a suggestion or two.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have a Chausson Welcome 85 (2007).
It meets your criteria.
6.89 metres long, excluding bike rack. Fixed bed which others have noted is slightly wider than normal. Toilet/shower space is minimal to compensate.
You actually need the dinnette as a place to sit and eat especially in bad weather, even though you can crash out on the bed during the day you won't want to spend all your time on your back!
It has a good size fridge with separate freezer which means shopping trips are infrequent.
The seat belts can be almost totally hidden from sight, as far as our family is concerned its a two berth. Selfish? Moi?

Small enough to explore off the beaten track, large enough for comfort.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This would do you and would last a lifetime, but you will have to be quick making up your mind. Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
This would do you and would last a lifetime, but you will have to be quick making up your mind. Link Removed

Looks bloody lovely Dave, if only I had known about these before buying my Elldis last year,

This is a different class of MH'ing altogether,

Thanks for sharing,

:thumb: :drink:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
...a van with a fixed bed, opposite bench seats for lounging, at less than 7 metres long.

We've had our Autocruise Starburst for a year now, and have never regretted it. But we have become tired of setting up and taking down the bed every day. I know it only takes five minutes each way [I timed it!] but it seems a lot longer and we've started dreaming about a bed that just sits there, waiting to be used...

We only have 7 metres to play with, and even then it's going to be an interference fit on the drive. The only vans I've seen that come close to this are Chausson, which insist on having a dinette, with additional belted seats. Let me me frank here - we're totally selfish! We want a van for two, as luxurious as possible please. Compromises to enable anyone, including grandkids, to travel with us are not an option.

I've not seen anything that meets our needs as yet, and would appreciate it if the collective wisdom of forum Funsters could come up with a suggestion or two.

AUTOSLEEPER EXCELSIOR
Suits us perfectly
if you want to :Smile:::bigsmile:see one we're in Market Harborough.

IM Me

Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Now then, yes that Rapido looks great. BUT

No prep area in kitchen, so you'd HAVE to use the table and nowhere to put a hot saucepan, kettle or a baking tin, oven - I think from memory - is about 5ft up on that one. I drop things out of a normal sized and placed oven as it is and burn myself on the side of it reularly (not like every day but enough to be aware I'm prone to it) and at 5ft 3 and a bit, it would be dangerous. ISTR I couldn't find the bin either but may have mis-remembered that?

Go to the show in Brum (soon) or one of the myriad round the country and have a good 'play' in all you fancy. It is the only way.

There is a Pilote that might fit the bill ...... 7.18m though. 7" too long..........

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
seen some autotrail scout's that fit the 2 long bench seats at the rear that would make 2 single beds.

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks all! We're going to the NEC show, and will give the dinette lay-out a closer look/lounge. Although that still seems like a compromise in order to carry passengers! It's something of a wishlist at present - though if we found the perfect partner I expect we'd find the money somehow...

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if there is something so specific that you want why not have one made or converted to how you want it??

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Suspect we could never afford it...but more generally, I find it hard to believe that we're in such a minority! As a rule it seems that Brit vans go for lounging space, with made-up beds, whereas abroad they prefer fixed beds [hence French beds?] and a dinette with seat belts. Surely there must be a few more sybaritic baby boomers around who want a luxurious van just for their own use with space to lounge and no bed to make each day? And under 7 metres because there should be no need to make it longer!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Suspect we could never afford it...but more generally, I find it hard to believe that we're in such a minority! As a rule it seems that Brit vans go for lounging space, with made-up beds, whereas abroad they prefer fixed beds [hence French beds?] and a dinette with seat belts. Surely there must be a few more sybaritic baby boomers around who want a luxurious van just for their own use with space to lounge and no bed to make each day? And under 7 metres because there should be no need to make it longer!

I agree. We find dinettes useless for relaxing so went for the Starspirit because it had the U shapes lounge where we could put our feet up or down. We can also sleep on the sofas as singles as we get tired of making beds up. BUT ... it still involves some bed making or it did until we bought the Raskelf Duvalays which we now leave on all the time. Trouble is the wife's feet don't reach the ground :ROFLMAO: so our next motorhome will be a fixed bed with sofas.

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
ermm...all the links took me to was this:

Not Found

The requested URL /products/pilote-g690-lga-a-class-motorhome-2012.html was not found on this server.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
IMO in a sub 7 metre van a dinette is a complete waste of space, I prefer the bar version layout, as this gives more comfortable lounging space in a smaller van. Also the fixed bed being in the North-South position also takes up valuable living space, much better to have the East-West fixed bed. Over the years I must have had just about every layout possible from small VW campers to 38ft RVs and find the easiest layout for 2 people in a sub 7 metre van is the East-West fixed rear bed with the bar version lounge which gives ample lounging space for up to 5 when entertaining, a couch for lounging and 3 comfortable chairs that recline, all in a van 6.7 metres long. Having said that, everyone's needs are different, but for 2 people with the occasional guest am of the belief that this layout is just about as good as it gets.

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
They now work for me as well! Very strange - but thanks for posting. The Autotrail Excel 640 seems to tick all our boxes, will search one out nearer to home to see how it feels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back