Could I have a Malware issue? (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Running on Windows 10 for a while now with real issues, but don't normally use Microsoft Edge as it just seems a bit slower, but I'm currently using it because for some reason that I cannot seem to resolve in settings, my previous preferred Google Chrome browser just keeps defaulting to Yahoo, then followed by ads cropping up and opening new tabs! It doesn't do it if I use Edge.

I've tinkered about in settings, the browser is set to Google, I've even obliterated all the other search engines but all to no avail. If I open it up it looks good to start with opening in Google but then after about 30 seconds changes to Yahoo. Then if I attempt to search within Yahoo I get ads popping up.

Any thoughts? Dave

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
From your description it looks like you might have installed/updated some software which has included setting Yahoo to the home page. There is a fairy common one which does it (possibly Java or Adobe?) and which one can miss if one is not careful.

You should be able to reset your home page to the one you want in the Tools/Options/Start up settings or equivalent in Chrome (I don't like Chrome, so never use it).

In case you have got some sort of advertising malware it is worth running AdwCleaner, download from Here.

I also have the free versions of Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware installed so that I can run them if I feel the need to.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sounds like you may well have some sort of adware or whatever.

In Windows 10 click on the little magnifying glass which should be next to the start button or whatever it is called now. Then just enter "Defender" and probably before you have finished a thing will appear called Windows Defender desktop app. Click on this and ensure it is up to date by clicking on Update in the update tab then run a FULL scan. You can certainly try a quick scan first but to be really sure you need to do a full scan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back