Could have been worse (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I drove the van to work today as I wanted to fill it with fuel and had 8p a litre coupon. Mid morning one of the lads ring me you have a flat tyre he says. Oops I think I havnt a clue how to change it but don't panic how hard can it be.

So lunchtime I go out to van look at tyre see screw in it. So off with wheel it is now the kit comes with scissor jack and a ratchet spanner and short bar to lengthen it. But its still very short it also has a bar thing to do wheel nuts and later to use jack. 3 wheel nuts break loose with a foot on this contraption and on 4th it snaps the wheel but extender thingmejig. Mate has a spider so with that and a pole we loosen the last 2 phew.

So place scissor jack in place but can't wind it up as thingmeejig is needed. Luckily mate has trolley jack and off comes wheel. I do have a spare and its on a carrier but how it drops I'm really not sure. Looks like 2 long bolts but no too too do this supplied in kit. So we took wheel to local place and they plugged it.

Big lesson learned today 1 I need to carry some more kit for wheel removal 2 I need to have a dry run on getting spare off. So glad I wasn't in middle of nowhere and I had help. To be honest I have been pushing my luck so lesson learned.

Here is pic of thingmeejig
IMG_20170323_172350.jpg

dave met

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 7, 2014
cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
At least you wasn't on the hard shoulder of a motorway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I work on the basis that I will always call the RAC, but must remember to check that the spare is still inflated, at least ours is in the garage

we do at least have E + P jacks now so lifting a wheel should never be an issue, getting that wheel off would be another issue, especially the twin rears no idea how they work o_O

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I would also call RAC ,the trouble was when it happened to me there wasn't any phone signal . My problem was that a special tool that was needed hadn't been supplied with the new MH .
Definately worth going through the process of changing a tyre for piece of mind.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You also need to release the spare wheel, if mounted underneath, BEFORE removing the punctured wheel.
NEVER put any part of your body under a vehicle supported only by a jack.....especially a scissor jack.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back