COST of shows ..can I do better (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I was sitting here looking at my wall planner for next year.. having entered all the various shows /meets on same, I then decided to get a rough idea of what it was going to cost me in fuel, pitch etc., Now I know I tend to spend to much at Malvern each year. I started to give some serious consideration to what to do. I have already decided to not do one or two shows for various reasons but I worked out that if I cut back just 3 or 4 shows given that living in Tunbridge Wells in Kent every show is 150 miles or more away from us and one is in fact over 250 miles each way. I could do another run in to France for 3 weeks. No differance to costs given we are less tha 50 miles from the Tunnel. If we did a ship say out of Newhaven in Sussex we would be only 30 miles from the destination area we go to. Not sure how Ezzie would cope with a 4 hours ship crossing, but it could be possible.

As shows have become very stale of late, same dealers, same over priced items, and sorry to say same old faces in the same old motorhomes... it is not that hard to consider going in to France instead.

After being stuck up in the corner at Malvern last year, miles from the show I do have my concerns about even doing my favorite show next year. I have recently cancelled my MMM subscription after many years.. just not good value to me any more.

So I am re-thinking the way I want to use my RV for next season. I have now got a full size trailer to haul the car and where as due to disability I was trapped on a site or show ground I now have more freedom ... been many a year since I took an American RV in to Cornwall.. who knows may be that will be on the cards.

But, I think a lot of the shows will go from my wall planner next year.. so what's your views? any of you thinking out side the box next year?

Bob

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:thumb::thumb:We are thinking the same way as you.We travel some distance south to shows and i know a lot of people do the same ie: Ray from Dingwall in Scotland.I take the Friday and the Monday off to atend some of these shows,meets this comes off my holiday entitelement,so we are going to cross a few shows,meets off our list next year and spend a lot longer in France.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I enjoy the shows and will be doing as many as I can next year, however the cost is significant. (I am only 30 odd miles from you, in the wrong direction as far as the shows are concerned)

The Newhaven Dieppe crossing is very expensive compared to Dover Calais though, the fuel saving in my van is not worth the extra cost, though might be in your RV. There are only two sailings a day though Dieppe is a much nicer town/port than Calais.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
shows etc

Good evening Bob,

We only went to two shows this year, being Newbury and Malvern, and find that too many shows can get boring; but just a couple is good, you don't get to see the same show gear repeated plus it is nice to meet old friends like yourselves, Dick dellboy, Geordy and Dragon to name just a few & make new ones.

Back to the point as you are situated so near the continent we would be going there a lot more if we lived that near, and using the tunnel as it is so fast (also thank you Tesco!)

Well it's Friday evening and Rhian and myself are sitting outside the camper in t shirts and shorts with a couple of wines (bottles) :winky: we are in Marjal at the moment and going up to have a viewing of the new site on Sunday.

Clive & Rhian (Griffs) :Smile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We are thinking of just doing P'bro next year. We found our local caravan shop is cheaper than the shows. Though it is nice to meet other funsters old n new. :Cool:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
ha hahahaha.:Blush: This is the same discussion as many landrover owners have every year. The general concensus, is that shows get "samey", prices never seem to go in the enthusiast's favour, and (not for motorhomers) food and drink is a rip off, facilities are just about passable, entrance fees are on the high side.
many landy enthusiast's are now frequenting the smaller, friendlier shows put on by clubs etc, and staying away from the major commercial shows, there's little at a show that you cant find on the internet, and as for meeting traders and "picking their brains"..dream on, the dealers on here give abetter service.

As money gets tighter, maybe, people will not pay for fuel/camping/entrance etc, just to be fodder for traders. As with landrover shows, one a year will do for me thanks....the rest will be rallies or casual meet ups.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Plenty of times we don't even bother to walk around the show. (How much melamine can a motorhome hold:Doh:) We only go to shows to park up with other Funsters and have a giggle I've probably been to more shows than most and never been bored yet. In fact at the big shows it can be frustrating that there is not enough time to chat to all the funsters. This year we did Carmarthen, Newark, Peterborough, Newbury, Shrewsbury, Stratford, Malvern and Lincoln. Thoroughly enjoyed every one and looking forward to meeting new friends and old at the same shows next year::bigsmile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
[HI] Though it is nice to meet other funsters old n new. [/HI]:Cool:

::bigsmile: I think you have hit the nail on the head Ken. :thumb: If we can get away without buying anything its a bonus ! :winky:

I always look at it as a great way for the funsters to meet up, nobody has to organise a rally or meet, :Smile: and worry about getting the numbers to attend. :Doh: And its not that expensive for a weekends camping if you can stay Sunday night as well, entertainment if you want it, and something to look at if you wish. :winky::ROFLMAO: Bob.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. i worked this out years ago. as a vw ,m,bike and camper fanatic . if i do 10 shows per year the cost is better spent going away for 6 months in winter. i do sometimes do odd show . do landrover shows as well occasionally. and traction rallies . but the cost living here is the same as going away so go away is better.

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
shows

same old same old we stopped doing the shows this year and spent the money going to other places we are looking forward to the alnwick meet though as just a nice distance from home and we will get to meet up with old friends from motorhomefun into the bargain :Smile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
WE CUT OUT 3 SHOWS THIS YEAR SAVED A FEW BOB IN DOING SO
WE WILL NOT BE DOING OSWESTRY 2012 EITHER

SHAME THERE ARE SO MANY IN A CLIQUE IN THE RVOC
IT WILL BE GOOD TO MEET UP WITH SOME FUNSTERS NEXT YEAR
IF THEY WILL ACCEPT AN RV IN THEIR MIDST :ROFLMAO:

ENJOY YOUR TRIPS OUT N ABOUT BOB

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But, I think a lot of the shows will go from my wall planner next year..
Bob

If the best a person can do with a MH is visit shows it's a sad waste of a MH. I don't think we did one this year. Or did we ???

A few more meets would be a good thing.

This year we had two excellent Cheshire ones. Excellent Misterton one. Soon to be, I'm sure, an excellent Whitby one.

Next year is looking good.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I did quite a few this year from a zero start the years before.

My first show was Peterboro 6 or 7 years ago and I hated it and it put me off shows for life.

Fun persuaded me to start going again and I over cooked it this year doing too many.

My favourite was Stratford and I will go out of my way to go to that one again. Any others will be visited only if I am not too far away from it.

Great meeting up with everyone though ::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The few shows that I do attend are mainly to catch up with other funsters.
Am not to bothered about walking round the shows as I wouldn't dream of buying another motorhome from there. As Jim says how much melamine do you need.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As shows have become very stale of late, same dealers, same over priced items, and sorry to say same old faces in the same old motorhomes.

Bob

I'm sure your friends are pleased to see you Bob, even if you are not pleased to see of them :RollEyes:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Having ran American RVs for many years and being a member of RVOC have never parked up with them. Have always prefered to be with the funsters, which is what I am whether I am out with the yank or the European.
Am sure you will have a great time with the rest of us.::bigsmile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi guys, I have only visited two shows. Newbury and Shepton, one on a bike and the other in a car both just for the day.

Next year I will do both of those again in Knobby (MH) not for any more melamine, but to put a few more faces to names. It's you lot I want to meet not necessarily the traders.

Really looking forward to meeting Hilldweller, Smudger, JJ, Papajohn in fact all of you, so don't go just for the show come along to meet all the new faces, who knows you might strike up a lasting friendship.

No changed my mind............Coz I might just bump into ShitZz or even worse Swift

.............Griff

Last edited:

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
We love the show, a good excuse for time away with good friends and make as many as we can.

Now we are with FUN :thumb: its even nicer so you won't find me complaining lol

We attend Cheshire, Peterborough, Lincoln and if Malvern did not clash with setting up for The Copper Kettle Festival we would be there too.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

I suppose a group of people sitting around talking and drinking and enjoying themselves, could be called a Clique..

That could be said of any club gathering or group..

I have been to many meets with both "Funsters" and "RVOC"... and found both club`s to be very welcoming..

No one could be more shy than myself and my wife. (And yes I may be a Gobby Git hidden behind the screen of a computer).. but I dont expect hundreds of members to rush out and greet me when I arrive on site.. every one says hello etc..

So I think it is up to the individual to mingle and make friends ..

If you go to a meet with friends or join friends and make an enclave out of canopy`s and and wind breaks, no doubt you will all sit around in your little encampment chatting and enjoying yourselves.... does that make you or your group a clique ???

Not sure of what your interpretation of "Clique" is... But take the Lincoln Show which was marshalled superbly.... had Jim put RV`s in the middle of all the Euro-vans I think by there sheer size you would have had some upset/irate eurovan owners.. parking to one side made sence. and if that constitute`s a clique, then yes we are clique`y...

Cliquey on the forum.......... er not really..... most of the crap I write is aimed at people I have met or know, now I wouldn`t have a pop or go to far with yourself till we have met, and I know or think I know you can take and give a bit of ribbing & banter..

Strange word "Clique"... and one I would associate with a private club or gathering,,, which is certainly not the case I have found with either the Funsters or the RVOC.. :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Strange thing to say; because the RVOC have never rallied at shows in their own right. The RVOC have always been part of the fun show rallies. So you won't be on your own, you'll be surrounded by FUNSTER RVOCers :thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I go to the shows more for the meet the funsters rather than the show, will have a walk round the trade stalls though on a saturday or sunday but have to admit the only things i have bought at shows are flags, flagpoles,solar fairylights and one time a couple of batteries and a fold up crate on wheels to carry said batteries in back to van.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Strange word "Clique"... and one I would associate with a private club or gathering,,, which is certainly not the case I have found with either the Funsters or the RVOC.. :thumb:

I would guess it's easy to think that there is a clique on line but the reality is it's just a group of bored, lonely, isolated Olde Fartes who have the time and need to communicate with like minds.

Personally, I've been sat in front of a computer for 30 years writing industrial control software. The first "forums" called conferences then, were for techies to swap data and moan about software bugs where the stock answer was "Sorry Sir, we've never had that problem, it must be your computer". So when I retired part of the hole in my life has been filled with FUN, thank goodness.

As a matter of interest, I paid the techie conference ( CIX ) £15 A MONTH for years then it reduced to £7 a month, it is still going at that rate. Just as here, friendships developed and people went to extraordinary lengths to help fellow members. Once a fun was set up to help those who lost a contract and were temporarily stuck financially.

An good example of it not being a clique is "Popeye", he just dropped in and immediately fitted in to the flow/style that has developed, as I said earlier in the week, like a load of mates chatting in a pub.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
hope you are going to tell us all about it?

Good evening Bob,

We only went to two shows this year, being Newbury and Malvern, and find that too many shows can get boring; but just a couple is good, you don't get to see the same show gear repeated plus it is nice to meet old friends like yourselves, Dick dellboy, Geordy and Dragon to name just a few & make new ones.

Back to the point as you are situated so near the continent we would be going there a lot more if we lived that near, and using the tunnel as it is so fast (also thank you Tesco!)

Well it's Friday evening and Rhian and myself are sitting outside the camper in t shirts and shorts with a couple of wines (bottles) :winky: we are in Marjal at the moment and going up to have a viewing of the new site on Sunday.

Clive & Rhian (Griffs) :Smile:

Great to hear from you Clive and Rhian... missed you at Lincoln show, but you had the best idea.. it was windy and not that good.

So we are down in Spain.. do p.m. me some details, Sue and I would love to hear how you are getting on in the new HR now you have had it a little while... we are thinking out how we will change our use of the RV and trailer for the next season.. Hope we see you in 2012.

Bob & Sue and Ezzie:thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes I know the feeling

While I have friends in both the RVOC and the MHF (that is why I voted on the RVOC pole to stay as part of the MHF).. I like to be with other motorhome users regarless of what they drive.. The Griffs (posted earlier on this thread) Really enjoy being with them.. the fact they no longer have an American and have a European motorhome is not an issue to me. Same with many others we know and meet. The 'click' thing is very true for me. I used to belong to one of the other American clubs 20 years back and gave up as that is what they were like. While I have no problems being parked up due to size of the RV and trailer (Jim does a very good job as do people like Sundowners and Bob and Jane and even Wildman).. I do not mind being with European van owners. I love my banter with people like Buttons.. now he is a good sport. Plus many others.

Just I feel ripped off at shows and I do feel at Malvern (Not Jims fault I might add) that we were banished to the wilds. Made it hard to get in and out of the show.

I intend to use more of the freedom of the RV with the trailer (we have had in use for half this season) to explore different places ...love France and we are going back once (already paid for the euro tunnel) and may be again in next September sunbject to Sue's leave.

As for Oswestry? on the list, but I am still considering this as it is shorter and at over 500 miles round trip and the costs is it good value for money..also the same weekend as Newbury which I happen to like. If I do cancell Oswestry and go to Newbury I could be the only RV there. But to early to decide yet. But I am re thinking where to spend my m oney for 2012.......do not get me wrong I love the MHF meets.

Bob:thumb:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
We don't do nearly as many shows as we used to and as has been said already same old dealers and stalls albeit fewer of them.

We did attend Stratford Show parking with the ARV and I was very pleased that Jim stopped by and had a chat and we both enjoyed our night in the Funsters tent meeting up with old friends and putting faces to some of the names on here. Also had a good night in our RV with 'Penelope Pitstop' and Rex where much alcohol was consumed!!!

We do like rallies/meets and will try to attend a few more this year but living near Southampton we are usually a long distance from most!

We also like our holidays and will try to get away to Ireland once more early next year for a month or more Sue's health/treatment permitting, also we would like to get away for a month in the summer but as I have quite milestone birthday in August I feel this will have to later than usual.

Regards Pat

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it like looking in a mirror Jim

I'm sure your friends are pleased to see you Bob, even if you are not pleased to see of them :RollEyes:

It is a bit like looking in a mirror Jim.... am I getting as old as him or him? do not get me wrong Jim, I love seeing old friends.. many from the RVOC side and the MHF... In fact I think Startford on Avon was the best show social wise this year.. even if I did freeze out side the tent.

I am pleased to say I recently meet up with Bill and Shirly (Landylover) for a meal and will be heading North to see Rick and Rosie (Motor Romin) in a couple weeks time. Met some great people on the two sites. But in some ways I still prefer the MHF site, less competitive and wider subjects.. but horses for courses.

And Jim I would really miss you telling me it was time to pack up after 4 hours setting up... that's what makes the meets great... just the actual show side lets it down and the costs these days.

Bob:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We did attend Stratford Show
Regards Pat

We could not make Stratford this year but it is definitely one to visit, more than a "show" it's got Stratford and that is a massive plus.

It was the same with the Chester Food Fair, it would have been a modest show but being able to walk into Chester made it special. Especially remembered for £20 for two coffees in town one night.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We could not make Stratford this year but it is definitely one to visit, more than a "show" it's got Stratford and that is a massive plus.

It was the same with the Chester Food Fair, it would have been a modest show but being able to walk into Chester made it special. Especially remembered for [HI]£20 for two coffees[/HI] in town one night.

You've just put me right off Chester Brian unless of course you're paying.......:RollEyes:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We are usually limited to spring and Autumn so in the past just done Carmarthen and Shepton, next year we shall have a couple of meets at our place and maybe travel North to one depending on finding animal sitters.
The show is of no importance to me, I never spend a thing at them. for me it is all about meeting fellow funsters. Mention has been made of cliques, well people do congregate in groups when they are not in the marquee, but they are social groups that do not exclude anyone, there is always a welcome for newbies, even those wandering around with an empty glass and no bottle, hee hee
So get over being shy and mix, it really is simple.:thumb::thumb::thumb: If you don't want to mix then that is fine as well, it is entirely up to you.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
It is,nt suprising that a lot of people, think the shows, are expensive, this is,nt true if you reside near one, the only show that is near me is Newbury and Shepton, The cost of fuel ect,makes other shows expensive. So next year, I am hopefully going to France, ,but I am a bit apprehensive, as I will be travelling on my own, and haven,nt driven on the Continent for a number of years, but I am thinking go for it Del Boy, with good planning and not doing to many miles a day perhaps I will be O.K, sort of a meander........Del :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back