Cost of ownership (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Having recently sold our boat and bought the MH I am interested in how much our MH will cost per annum by comparison. I worked on about 4-5k per year for the boat that includes fuel at a mouth watering 5-10 gal per hour...ouch. Anyway I am hoping for somewere around the 2-3k mark including fuel. Thats for site fees tax, insurance, habitation service and cab service and some incidentals. We used to spend most weekends onboard so we will prob do around 30 weekends 4ish long weekends and prob 2 weeks away in the MH. Wifey has been given the job of keeping ALL our site recipts etc in an envelope so we can tott it all up next June.
So.................whadya reckon 2-3k for all that, do able or will I be back to boating costs.........Gulp.
Ian

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
It really is to hard to say.

It costs us a fortune because we both quit work to enjoy it :)

But on our site (link in sig) there are actual costs for long trips - we reckon £35-£50 per day all in - including ferry/food/fuel and fun. Including things like snowboarding too! (Thats for just 2x adults). That does include ferry and fuel to south of Spain, south of Italy etc...

If you eat out more, its going to be more! If you stay in "full" sites - again it'll cost more.

At the times you say, 30we + 2w + 4lw = <100 days per year. So I'd say doable for £3-5k depdning on what you really want to do and £2k is achievable if you don't go on huge mileage, stay on selected CLs/CSs or wild, and eat in.

DIY habitation service. Vehcile service/tax/insurance could be anything from £400-£1000 depends on age/service and insurance quote.... We use our van as a 2nd car so its no extra cost.

HTH

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

No way will you be back to boating costs! Mine costs me £12k a year!

You won't have the very expensive 'hole in water' berthing costs for a start, insurance for a MH is cheap £300 a year, servicing, habitation and mechanical should not be much more than £250-£300 a year and a MH is not a gallon a mile!

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Such a difficult question to answer for it will depend on how you intend to use it.

Here are some examples of our costs, I have left the purchase price out as that will be personal to the person. Just a good idea to give it a go.
We also spend about 60-70 nights a year in our van and 28 of those days are normally in france.

Insurance- £280
MOT- £50
Fuel £2272 (we average about 10k per year)
Ferries £150
Site fees £900 (inclusive of expensive and shows so averaged at £15pn)
Tax £200
servicing £500 ( inclusive of the odd repair, its a fiat after all)

Then of course you have to add the purchase fee along with the deprieciation, Im not sure how you would do that, but thats my pure guestimate.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Anyway I am hoping for somewere around the 2-3k mark including fuel. Thats for site fees tax, insurance, habition............................................
Ian

Ian, if you are the kind of person that can take to wild camping (Hanging on the hook) then you can greatly reduce your costs.

IE our site fees for our last outing of 8 months was ZERO.

Doug...

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Really cant see how it can be done for £3000, it you only do 5000 mile a year thats £1000 on fuel alone. Road tax, insurance, MOT, habitation service and Vehicle service is almost £1000. Dose'nt leave a lot for site fees, unless you intend to wild camp. You then need to add something in for all thing we buy that we think we need.
We go away around 60 nights a year, about 10 of these are free, add in depriciation and the cost is probably over £6000 and we only do 6000 to 7000 miles a year.
Motorhoming is not a cheap holiday but I see it as a low cost hobby with holidays thrown in.

Andy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So.................whadya reckon 2-3k for all that, do able or will I be back to boating costs.........Gulp.
Ian

Goodness me you are in the wrong forum. That doesn't cover the beer bill of the average Funster, so you don't want to hear about the wine bill.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Sounds like I could be back to boating costs (not that its a problem financially you understand) unless I go wild. Not really drawn to this wild camping lark at the moment but may try it now and then.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Cost of ownership isn't a lot more than an average family car .. and may be less, depends on the van.

VED
MOT
Insurance
Servicing
Depreciation

Cost of usage is a different question and depends on frequency of use , what sites you use etc .. and to a large degree, the depth of your pockets..

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Sounds like I could be back to boating costs (not that its a problem financially you understand) unless I go wild. Not really drawn to this wild camping lark at the moment but may try it now and then.

Ian,

We came from live aboard boating and we find the M/H costs about half as the cost of living in Spain and Portugal with the boat, in fact if I had discovered M/H before we built our boat and boat straight to H/homing we would have saved a lot of money. for example to store the M/H on the Algarve costs 1.2 euro per day.

Doug...

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I miss this but cost me 10K plus easily in the 90s but cost was never an issue then.

Link Removed

Now skint and dare not think how much the bus cost's me but it my life now, much less than the boat although this year will be expensive as having some upgrades and repairs done:Smile:

Link Removed

Last edited:

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Here is my penny worth.

It will cost you £1000p.a. just to to keep it on your drive and, depending on depreciation and whether you wild camp, anything between 40p to 80p per mile to use.

ezee

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Nice to see you smiling John or is that a Cheshire Cat grin in that boat::bigsmile:

Bit of both:winky::Smile:

Life was a lot easier then :yeah::coolthumb:

Venita

Free Member
Jul 6, 2009
Co. Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
HI welcome to motorhoming! If you are only going away for weekends, try joining motorhomestopover.co.uk. You dont have to use camp sites as you should be self contained and you can stay safely overnight at pubs all over the country as long as you have a drink or a meal. This is great value for money. Our weekends away cost very little and we love every minute of them!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back